Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train Alert - to/from Brighton

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I shall refer you to TLO's post in the other train thread. A German's idea of poor service is very very very different to that of the UK. Germans were complaining about 85% punctuality on a service. Southerns was at a shocking 50% if memory serves me correctly. Remember, this is a nation where not getting to the finals of a football tournament is a utter disaster. Quarters is a success for England. Get the picture?

In fairness since the last war Germany has had the chance to rebuild their railway where we're still trying to run a modern railway on a pre-war network. Give us the chance, land and money to change our network and we could have a great railway.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Some services running HH to Brighton. Just got through & not that wet. Seems to be a knackered signal on the down line. Wouldn't want to be doing this much later mind you.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Germany is such a good country why not live there ?

I'll think twice about dedicating a 1901 Club food thread to your landmark birthday again. All you have done is abuse my goodwill since then.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Bad weather clearly attributing to current run of appalling service, but there are many service failings that are not due to the weather.

The TOCs take a lot of blame/carry a lot of the blame but I think the bigger issue lies in government policy,lack of investment, the fragmented structure of the industry, and the appaling 'it's always someones elses fault' mentality.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Don't understand . Flooded or not ?

On the down line toward Brighton there is a stretch around say pycombe lasting about 4 miles until preston park where the water is almost over the ballast , obviously this is not ideal and southern / fcc made the right call to hold trains at signals then move them off at 10 mph through this stretch of the network , this was at 3pm and has stopped raining since but better safe than sorry .

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
The TOCs take a lot of blame/carry a lot of the blame but I think the bigger issue lies in government policy,lack of investment, the fragmented structure of the industry, and the appaling 'it's always someones elses fault' mentality.

Agreed, though only about 20% of time, the TOC is to blame. Most of the time its poor weather, infrastructure issues or "3rd parties" causing incidents. If the government invested more, you could upgrade failing lines. But of course, the government want the passenger to pay for everything - thats why fares are so high (TOCs barely get any of the fare as profit).

New landslide on the Redhill lines via Redhill, fast lines open as normal.

On the down line toward Brighton there is a stretch around say pycombe lasting about 4 miles until preston park where the water is almost over the ballast , obviously this is not ideal and southern / fcc made the right call to hold trains at signals then move them off at 10 mph through this stretch of the network , this was at 3pm and has stopped raining since but better safe than sorry .

That'll be due to the signalling problems. Water and electrical signals dont mix.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

It's not Southern or FCC that make that call it's Network Rail

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I'll think twice about dedicating a 1901 Club food thread to your landmark birthday again. All you have done is abuse my goodwill since then.

Rubbish, so why if you live in Germany you slag of the UK railways so much ?

Am I missing something.....

In fairness since the last war Germany has had the chance to rebuild their railway where we're still trying to run a modern railway on a pre-war network. Give us the chance, land and money to change our network and we could have a great railway.

In fariness Brighton did get a couple of new arches for the London Road viaduct out of it I recall.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

No. I definitely live here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

My "wouldn't happen in Germany" posts are tongue-in-cheek. A rail thread without me posting this is akin to a racism thread without Buzzer owning Dave.

nordicgod

Top banana
Jul 21, 2011
polegate
just driven down from Bedford, very windy out there tonight, one signal at danger at patcham just delaying trains by a few mins, if this keeps on all night then might be trouble for the Saturday morning service though

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Actually it was a joint decision by all 3.

Rather unusual for all 3 to be involved in that type of decision making, not that it's a bad thing, but it's normally left to Network Rail while the TOC's cream off the compensation for delays.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've seen tweets suggesting the groundwater levels at Patcham are still rising. Any reports on the trains this morning?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here