Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Tragedy in Solihull

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No, no it isn’t. They do not need to forfeit their lives to save others. They made a choice to try and save others at a considerable risk to themselves. A lot of difference. Btw, you make it sound like they’re bank cashiers (“it’s their job”, boldest too! Dear oh dear…)
No, it IS their job. If my grandson fell through the ice and a police office was first on the scene and just stood there shaking their head saying "it's not my job" I would be, well, less than pleased. I would expect them to risk their life to save a small boy. Bloody hell I would, I couldn't live with myself otherwise.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
No, it IS their job. If my grandson fell through the ice and a police office was first on the scene and just stood there shaking their head saying "it's not my job" I would be, well, less than pleased. I would expect them to risk their life to save a small boy. Bloody hell I would, I couldn't live with myself otherwise.
Exactly, very well said. I wonder if @Herr Tubthumper will treat this post with the 'f me' contempt my similar post received?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

theboybilly

The kids were 8, 10 and 11. Is it reasonable to allow them out unsupervised? Genuine question. Let us know where you’re going, call if you need us, be sensible, be back by x o’clock?
Yes it is reasonable. I, like most of my generation, were out from morning until dusk playing football and up to all sorts. I think the main thing was I was always in a group of some sorts so there was a degree of protection there. I didn't venture far, just around the block or to the local park a few hundred yards away. Never once batted an eyelid about it and only once, after staying out a little too long after dark, did I cause my dear Mum anguish (boy do I remember the tongue lashing) . You've got to let kids be kids otherwise they'll not experience any sort of worthwhile childhood.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
You could say that about anybody who was on the scene though. It's literally not the policeman's job, in the sense that it's not what they're paid or trained for.
To be clear, that doesn't make the actions of the rescue services who do actually have that job any less brave or heroic, when they go into dangerous situations.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That's their job.
So is risk assessment and Health and Safety. If they risk their lives, 1). it's over and above the call of duty, and 2). they'll probably get a bollocking from their superior for not making a risk assessment and ignoring Health and Safety!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Tragic incidents have happened involving members of the public where there emergency services have failed to act immediately due waiting for authorisation, Sunday's dreadful events saw the emergency services at their best with members of those services acting first and thinking second. I only hope that none of those attempting to rescue those children are called before management to justify their actions.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The problem is only one boy actually put his leg through the ice. The other two drowned or froze to death trying to save him. Unless you have the equipment to save them from the pond, you are just throwing your life away needlessly. The minimum needed is a rope.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
So is risk assessment and Health and Safety. If they risk their lives, 1). it's over and above the call of duty, and 2). they'll probably get a bollocking from their superior for not making a risk assessment and ignoring Health and Safety!
Surely trying to save lives should come before a risk assessment? To me it's f**k to the risk assessment and wade in and try and save the lives of little ones.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
If you were first on the scene what would you have done?
I'm not employed as a Police officer as I have no desire to put my risk life to earn a living. I admire those that do work in the emergency services but I think if that is something you choose to do you have to accept the role carries an element of risk.

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
I'm not employed as a Police officer as I have no desire to put my risk life to earn a living. I admire those that do work in the emergency services but I think if that is something you choose to do you have to accept the role carries an element of risk.
f*** me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On Thursday I am attending the funeral of my best mate’s daughter. About a month ago, her grandmother left her house at 3:20pm, with everything fine in the world. By 3:45pm she had died in a house fire.
Oh blimey, that's horrendous. How old was she?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Reasonable to let an 8 year old out around water, without an adult present? Each to their own, but I don't think so. And there was a 6 year old there too - were they with an adult?

Reading some of the other posts I see that asking questions has been deemed inappropriate by some. I played on an icy lake when I was young like most people my age in the area at the time. Regardless of whether or not there were adults there, this is of course an awful tragedy. Some of the first replies to this thread mention how they've had it drilled into them to stay away from frozen lakes etc. Is it a bad thing if we promote the concept that young children shouldn't be allowed to play near frozen bodies of water in the future, without adults present (and able to keep them off)? I don't want to offend the families of the children (and have no doubt they won't be reading my posts) and my questions/point of view is intended for us all to think about the safety of children, and perhaps reduce these dangers in the future.

I'm not sure it's helpful for us all to say RIP and never question anything.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just to be clear the Met’s view on whether or not Policeman carry out rescue was stated after the Jack Susisanta case (the kid that drowned after being pursued by police) and it is not as black and white as some people are suggesting it is:

’According to the Health and Safety Executive, there are no standard guidelines as to how the police and emergency services should react. They must assess the risks and act accordingly. Police bosses also have a duty to implement measures to keep their staff safe.

The Met stated their approach to police rescue as being that police ‘may enter water after undertaking a fast-time assessment, taking into account, but not limited to the following: fitness levels, ability to swim, type of water hazards (including depth, water temperature, hidden and submerged hazards), the availability of rescue aids and the likely response time of other emergency services’.

There is no criminal liability for failing to rescue someone in danger:

exception: unless a bystander assumed the responsibility, created the dangerous situation themselves, or there was a contractual or statutory duty to act in which case, it would be argued failure to take action rendered the bystander criminally liable. However. In the UK, we have the equivalent of a Good Samaritan Law, that while it does not impose an obligation on bystanders to rescue, it protects people that are negligent in any rescue attempts from negligence or breach of their statutory duty. (see Social Action, Responsibility and Heroism Act 2015 )

No one, not even a Policeman, has an obligation to commit suicide.

Ps When I was an ‘unruly‘ 10 year old, I played with my older brother on railway embankments, walked along the parapets of railway bridges, swam in lakes, rivers, climbed to the top of 60ft trees, and climbed into all sorts of dangerous building sites, disused buildings and old tunnels. We knew the risks yet still ignored them - We survived the back of the knee slapping, the ’straight to bed with no tea’ and the TV bans if our parents found out but we were kids growing up, taking risks were rites of passage - enjoying the outdoors from morning to evening on long hot summer days. These days, you’re lucky to get kids a way from their mobile phones and ipads and when you do, perhaps the ‘knowledge of outdoor risks’ is less than it was 50 years ago because playing outside all day has become the exception not the norm. As kids, ie 2 and 3 year olds, the first safety course our parents undertook was to teach us to swim well!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here