Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Traditional Sussex Surnames

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
More old Sussex cricketers who seem to have common Sussex names are Cornford and Buss

I think Pook is a very Sussex name too

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Midlands here (and that's where dad from so makes sense). Also plenty in Aus etc.

Gues have to tweek Lowe, to get all the Germanic versions along Lion lines and the likes of the German International Coach Low

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Have one of the most unusual and south-east surnames about. BATEUP. Most people seem to assume that it comes from the french, BATEU meaning BOAT, however my family have been traced to Keymer and Hassocks (where my family still live) and the surrounding villages for a good 200 years.

Unfortunately a Bateup (who due to the name in question must unfortunately be a distant relative) is a Palarse fan and in fact a founder member of Crystal Palace Supporters Children’s Charity. However good it is supporting childrens charities I still feel dirty having a distant relation spoiling our good(ish) name.

Despite all this it also seems that alot of Bateup's occupy south west Australia so maybe we are convicts too!!

Despite all this it also seems that alot of Bateup's occupy south west Australia so maybe we are convicts too!!
AUGUSTA JESSIE PASSENGER LIST 1837 - Ships from England - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com.au

A fair number of East Sussex parishes seem to have deported paupers to Australia in 1837. Not convicts, just benefit claimants that were deemed too expensive to keep. Including the Bateup family from Udimore.

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: The Monaro Pioneers Project - Pioneers and Settlers Database

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
AUGUSTA JESSIE PASSENGER LIST 1837 - Ships from England - Family History & Genealogy Message Board - Ancestry.com.au

A fair number of East Sussex parishes seem to have deported paupers to Australia in 1837. Not convicts, just benefit claimants that were deemed too expensive to keep. Including the Bateup family from Udimore.

RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: The Monaro Pioneers Project - Pioneers and Settlers Database

Wow thats really cool stuff LB. It may even help my dad in his quest to trace the family tree. Its much appreciated. However it seems that I am destined to be a pauper if not a criminal! :blush:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Funny you should bring this up; was looking at the names on the pub's darts team last night and commenting on how the Crowhursts, Longhursts and Bartons always seem to feature.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
What are they and do you have one?! (I don't :()

Watching that Youtube clip of Noel Dumbrell singing Sussex By The Sea today prompted the question above....is Dumbrell very 'Sussex' for example?

Whilst most popular in New Zealand, my surname is also very popular in India. Worst of though is it is popular in Liverpool. If you lose your hubcaps its probably me !!

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
For anybody born in the East Sussex/ west Kent Weald area, this is a superb site for tracing back your family tree.

The Weald - Web site content

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
oooo i knew we werent a sussex - based name, hamps i thought, but seems not... now up 51%, alas not from my side of family, all girls, only me with the family name left.... anyone want a few dozen children with me and happy for me to keep the name?....cant tell youi what it is, id have to kill you...and it is xmas! lol

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have a number of Sherwoods, Parsons, Cottons and Doves in my family tree and all seem to have a rich Sussex heritage going back 300 years and more

Prob related somewhere along the line :) Mrs has shite loads of Parsons on her massive family

foul old ron

I'll decide, thank you.
Feb 26, 2009
Round the back, by the bins.
Great websites. My name seems to have originated in Sussex and is now popular in New Zealand and the south of France with a few in Argentina and the USA. None to speak of outside the south east of England but strangely not uncommon in Scotland. Fascinating.

What's my name? Not telling.

Foster House

Aug 25, 2010
East Sussex

Don't feed the coalition new ideas....

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Funnell... only ever heard it in Sussex.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
sjamesb - I don't suppose you are related to a Malcolm Bateup? He was a Goldstone buddy of mine and we had heaps of away match adventures in the late 80's. Would love to re-connect - He was living in St Leonards the last time we met.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here