Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toyota Yaris

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
Bit boring, but I'm buying the new Toyota Yaris T3 1.3MMT. Anyone drive one of these? Reviews please. I'm liking the car, but just need some reassurance it's as great as I hope. Thanks x

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
By all accounts (never driven one but read loads about it) a great car - dog slow, exceptionally economic, styled by a blind hedgehog, makes people think you're over 50, and if you follow top gear you should be able to play football with it!!

Not my cup of tea but if you want something simple, easy and economic then go for it!

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
PS I hope you're not buying it new new! Waste of money if you are - buy it nearly new and let someone else take the loss as soon as you drive it off the forecourt!

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
By all accounts (never driven one but read loads about it) a great car - dog slow, exceptionally economic, styled by a blind hedgehog, makes people think you're over 50, and if you follow top gear you should be able to play football with it!!

Not my cup of tea but if you want something simple, easy and economic then go for it!

I think they played football with the Aygo actually (which does and astonishing combined mpg of 61.4) but is only a 1000 cc engine. It's definitely aimed at the older market, but it's a great little car with a lot of boot room for carting stuff up and down the M4 to uni. Plus you get customer service aimed at oldies like tea and cakes etc!

PS I hope you're not buying it new new! Waste of money if you are - buy it nearly new and let someone else take the loss as soon as you drive it off the forecourt!

Nah, it's on a leasing scheme through Motability. Got a retro Clio RT at the mo and it's getting too low to get in and out of. I'd never actually buy a brand new car. I doubt my Dad would ever let me do that!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Last edited:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I think they played football with the Aygo actually (which does and astonishing combined mpg of 61.4) but is only a 1000 cc engine. It's definitely aimed at the older market, but it's a great little car with a lot of boot room for carting stuff up and down the M4 to uni. Plus you get customer service aimed at oldies like tea and cakes etc!

Nah, it's on a leasing scheme through Motability. Got a retro Clio RT at the mo and it's getting too low to get in and out of. I'd never actually buy a brand new car. I doubt my Dad would ever let me do that!

Yessss - you're right it was the Aygo! Sorry!

Which car gives it 3 stars out of 5 - so a fairly healthy rating! I'd go for it if I were you. Practical and if its leased it should be reliable (if it isn't they'll sort you out a replacement?) and it should run on the sniff of an oily rag!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Even the Top Gear boys agree that the Yaris is a great small car, best of a bad lot by far.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I have a Aygo MMT and have to say that the MMT gearbox is very good. It does take some getting used to initially and is not as smooth as an fully automatic however the fact that you loose no fuel consumption and very little performance more than makes up for that.

I test drove the Yaris and also liked it but surprisingly found that the Aygo 1.0 was as fast from 0-60 as the 1.3 Yaris. I Probally would have gone for the Yaris had I been doing more Motorway driving but the majority of my driving is in an around greater london and the Aygo is ideal for that. Having said that (for the size of the engine) its surprising how comfortable the Aygo is at high speed.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for but either way I don't think that you can go far wrong buying a Toyota.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Here's a car enthusiast tip. If you want a bit more MEAT behind your 1.3, simply go to the shed extract the FLYMO engine from the lawnmower and swap it wth your toyota engine.

Now safelyu secure your racing harness, floor those sparco metal pedals and off you go you mentalist.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
I have a Aygo MMT and have to say that the MMT gearbox is very good. It does take some getting used to initially and is not as smooth as an fully automatic however the fact that you loose no fuel consumption and very little performance more than makes up for that.

I test drove the Yaris and also liked it but surprisingly found that the Aygo 1.0 was as fast from 0-60 as the 1.3 Yaris. I Probally would have gone for the Yaris had I been doing more Motorway driving but the majority of my driving is in an around greater london and the Aygo is ideal for that. Having said that (for the size of the engine) its surprising how comfortable the Aygo is at high speed.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for but either way I don't think that you can go far wrong buying a Toyota.

Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the MMT as it didn't seem as smooth when changing gear compared to my 10 year old Clio. I did consider the Aygo, but I thought it might not be suitable for carting stuff to and from Sussex with the small engine and small boot. But a lot of Aygo drivers say that it's plesantly suprising and nippy. The Yaris is full of little cubby holes for hiding stuff and has a well designed boot and rear seats which folds to a completely flat surface. I have to say that I was impressed by the Yaris. I might just be the only 20 year old with an OAPs car! Does your Aygo actually do the 61mpg that Toyota claim it does?

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Don't know about the car,but be a good name for a "celebrity"................will Toyota Yaris be voted out tonight? Toyota Yaris,what a dancer!.Bolton have signed Toyota Yaris from Red Crescent Cairo: and so on and so forth.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Thanks. I was a bit concerned about the MMT as it didn't seem as smooth when changing gear compared to my 10 year old Clio. I did consider the Aygo, but I thought it might not be suitable for carting stuff to and from Sussex with the small engine and small boot. But a lot of Aygo drivers say that it's plesantly suprising and nippy. The Yaris is full of little cubby holes for hiding stuff and has a well designed boot and rear seats which folds to a completely flat surface. I have to say that I was impressed by the Yaris. I might just be the only 20 year old with an OAPs car! Does your Aygo actually do the 61mpg that Toyota claim it does?

I Felt the same way when I first drove the MMT but there is a definite knack to it. I doubt whether semi automatics will ever be as smooth as fully automatics but I find that if you lift your foot off the accelerator a tiny bit just as it shifts gear then the change is much better.

I measured the fuel consumption of my Aygo a few weeks after I got it and it was regularly returning over 60 miles to the gallon however I have heard other Aygo owners criticize the fuel consumption. I suppose there are so many different variables such as the particular car and where and how you drive it. Whichever way you look at it though its a 1 Litre engine in a small car so its going to be frugal. £35 tax per year is also a bonus!

You can easily put the rear seats down in the Aygo and it seems to have more space than you think it would but I have to agree that the Yaris is definitely more spacious and comfortable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here