Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Tour of the UK

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Missed out Shoreham 😏

Oh and Brecon Beacons no longer exists its Bannau Brychieniog …Wales (Drakeford) doesnt do anything that might be anything seen as supporting global warming 🤦‍♂️

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The Jurassic coast is an absolute must in any itinerary more than a week.

I'd also recommend a day in Wiltshire and then between Brecon and Liverpool you've got the likes of Leicester and Shropshire (Ironbridge is rather nice and good for your history bits if that's what they're into).
You must have a room spare in one of your wings?…They could meet Polly 😏

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I'd echo others thoughts that it could be too much travel. I'd tell them to focus on, say, South of England on this trip and come back another time to do the North/Scotland (or could fly to Scotland from London/Bristol if they're intent on that).

I'd also suggest they could base themselves in one location for a lot of the stuff they've mentioned, e.g.

- stay for 4/5 days in London, including day trip to Brighton (we all love it, but you really don't need more than 1 day) and perhaps Cambridge

- stay 4/5 days in Bath/Bristol with one day in each (both cities have plenty of history and good as a base for food/pubs in evenings), and do day trips to Stonehenge, Cotswolds, Oxford (though only need to do one of Oxbridge). Brecons also achievable from there if they can fit it in, but I'd save Wales for the second trip up North and go to Snowdonia instead

- stay 5 days in Cornwall/Devon - it's too lovely to miss out, plenty of history, fishing villages, castles/ruins and really too much to fit into a couple of days

If they do go up North, don't miss out York. Would rather go there than Manchester or Liverpool, especially from what you described that they're looking for.

Jul 7, 2003
I know those from Canada and the US have a different approach to driving long distances as we do but this seems a bit hard work. As an alternative stay, why not do the South and South West with them and then Put them on a cheap flight up to Scotland where they can rent a car to do the second half of the trip

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
A thread full of advice from people that (mainly) live in the south. :lolol:
London is a must obvs,
Oxford, so they can tell all their friends about somewhere theyll have heard of,
York is historical and fairly typical of oop north. Hire a car there and go up the Northumberland coast to....
Scotland, which is unmissable.
Anything else, I would say is a bonus.
Unless they have specific interests or wants.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Canadian couple we met on holiday want to come over to the UK for a trip. I've to put together an itinary. Any thoughts.
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
West country, although nice, would add a couple of days. Would love to take them to a small fishing village though.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
Need somewhere between Brecon and Liverpool. Maybe Manchester
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
From here they'll move on to Scotland for a week.
Is there too much countryside and not enough towns. They would like to
visit history, ruins and some Harry Potter places.
What is it with Harry Potter I mean it’s alright if you are like 12 or something.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Another vote for the Northumberland coastline. Some friends of ours own a brilliant B&B just close to Alnwick Castle.

In terms of other general comments, I think it would be worth putting in a trip to Cambridge too.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Before Scotland, how about a trip to Alnwick Castle (Harry Potter), Bamburgh Castle and Lindisfarne?
Maybe borrow his broom while they’re there, gonna need it with the itinerary suggested by the OP.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I did a driving package tour in Norway once. What worked for me was two golden rules.

1. Two nights stay everywhere, so no travelling on consecutive days.

2. No more than 100 miles between hotels.

That way, you can relax and take your time on the travelling days, stopping off at interesting points en route, and on the non-travelling days have some time to spare. (I did a Grand Canyon bus tour on pretty much the same basis, and it worked then as well.)

One specific tip - no need to see both of the Yorkshire Dales and the Lake District. There are enough similarities that you can put somewhere else on the list instead.

Lake District - if they know Beatrix Potter's books, they would (almost certainly) like a look round her cottage at Hill Top. If they don't know the books, it's just a cottage.
Also drive over one of the passes (eg. Honister Pass, from Buttermere to Eskdale or vice versa), or Hardknott Pass, which may be like something they've not seen - depending which bit of Canada they know well!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If they like castles then Warwick is an amazing one and tintagel is pretty cool for its setting and King Arthur links although it's out of the way down in cornwall. More realistically they should just go to Windsor while they're in London, plenty of History there both modern and, er, old.

As much as I love Brighton it's not really a must see if they're on a tight schedule and certainly not if they're coming at any time that isn't summer and then only for the day.

The Cotswolds - taking in Stratford upon Avon and Bath - and stonehenge must be doable in a few days too.

Then up north for a bit and then Scotland.

That's my 2 pences worth. There's so many amazing and beautiful places throughout the U.K that I'll leave to others to describe/suggest.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Canadian couple we met on holiday want to come over to the UK for a trip. I've to put together an itinary. Any thoughts.
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
West country, although nice, would add a couple of days. Would love to take them to a small fishing village though.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
If you want somewhere between Brecon and Liverpool, you should take them up to Snowdonia National Park.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Reckon land Heathrow.
3 days in London
2 days in Brighton
1 day Stonehenge & Bath.
1 day Cotswolds
1 day Brecon Beacons
2 days Liverpool
1 day Yorkshire Dales
2 days Lake District
I’d stay in Canada.Lot of bother ain’t it ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here