Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour of Britain

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Anyone going to the final stage (stage 8) of the Tour of Britain on Sunday?

It's not exactly going well for our HEROES is it? Cavendish made a right MESS of it yesterday.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone going to the final stage (stage 8) of the Tour of Britain on Sunday?

It's not exactly going well for our HEROES is it? Cavendish made a right MESS of it yesterday.
He's won two stages. I'd say that after 5 stages have been completed, that's not a bad return.
And Wiggins is riding for Cav, so the fact that he's so far off the pace is irrelevant. They're still HEROES....

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
Sadly I'm working, so can't. The race was never going to be won by Brad or Cav anyway, although bloody time-bonuses cock everything up anyway...

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Went into London last year for the finish and it was great. We watched the htc and Sky teams warm-up and took photos of Cav (he is really slight). I can't help but think Guildford is going to be a bit of a bun-fight. We will have a look on Saturday and make a decision.

You do get the impression no-one is taking it very seriously though.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Went into London last year for the finish and it was great. We watched the htc and Sky teams warm-up and took photos of Cav (he is really slight). I can't help but think Guildford is going to be a bit of a bun-fight. We will have a look on Saturday and make a decision.

Yeah London was very good indeed.
There just won't be the access we had then, so I'll give it a swerve.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It's not a big tour really, is it? For now, our cyclists are household names but it will interesting to see if it ever develops into something bigger if and when pro cycling gets a long-term foothold on the sporting landscape here.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wiggo said all along this was just a spin round, to say hello.
This is Cav's last chance, probably ever, to wear his World Champion jersey, and he's not keen on wearing anything else.

But there's a lot more than 2 riders.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Even though Cav and Wiggo aren't going to win the ToB its well worth going along for the spectacle and show our support for their unprecedented acheivements. We turned out for the first stage and its good to see some of our finest sportsmen - albeit blink and you'll miss them.

In reality their sights are on the forthcoming World Championships and they are using the ToB to get fit again after the Olympic party. The rainbow jersey means so much more than winning the ToB. Even so they'll give it a go.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
All this talk if Cav and wiggins, people are forgetting one of the favourites for the win is British - Tiernan-Locke. Although I think Vanmarcke will win.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
But there's a lot more than 2 riders.

True. But they are not such a draw for the JCLs like me. Last year I wanted to see Cav and the htc train. This time I want to see Cav and Wiggins. If I am not sure they are really trying then it is not going to get me working out the best way to get in and out of Guildford for the day.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
True. But they are not such a draw for the JCLs like me. Last year I wanted to see Cav and the htc train. This time I want to see Cav and Wiggins. If I am not sure they are really trying then it is not going to get me working out the best way to get in and out of Guildford for the day.

Cav will certainly want the stage win. There was absolutely NO chance of either of the winning the GC. That wasn't the aim for the team, and looking at the course, the timing of the race and the Sky team it's easy to see why.

Go along, scream your lungs out at the roadside for every rider. Wave whatever flag you fancy. Enjoy the atmosphere of being at the race. And get the beers in!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Last year brings back such good memories.
To be so up close to proper pro's was superb.

The 2 kids were awestruck, and to be honest the 2 dads were pretty giddy too.

My mate muscled his way so close to G as he was talking to Skysports, I thought he was going to start answering the questions.
Me and then World Champ Thor H, posing for photos 10 mins before the off.
Jnr & winner Lars Boom.
Jnr still screams and points @ a Europcar sign.
The Sky boys dealt with the scrum brilliantly.
We came away with armfuls of stuff, autographs and a couple of hundred photos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here