Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tour of Britain watch in two places

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yada yada. Me and my son can trump that. We once cycled, ok, free-wheeled if you must, down Mount Teide, the highest mountain in all of Spain. Beat THAT bike boy! :thumbsup:
I was more worried about getting Jnr back down DB than I was about him getting up there.

I had an 'oh s**t' moment after the elation of him getting to the top.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
As an interested (for the day!) non-cyclist can someone explain please what a 'profile' is in regards to this event?

We have a great day organised in Haywards Heath we want to give Yorkshire a run for there money the Army Band is in Town and we have painted some bikes gold but we not painting sheep!!:sheep::sheep::sheep:!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any chance of them moving it so it doesn't clash with the Vuelta? Though obviously it'll always clash with something.
I think building up to the Worlds is better than not clashing with the Vuelta.

Generally the Vuelta is very much the third Grand Tour, only this year has it conspired to having a better standing than usual.
The last thing they want to do is move it round the calendar, as you said it'll always clash with something.
But for any event to really get a foothold it needs to have it's position on the calendar and stick to it.

I'm sure we could write out the entire seasons pro tour calendar 2015/16/17, now.
To have a race that would feature in that list, with events 100 years old is no mean feat, a calendar move invariable is the first bit of writing on the wall.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What time is it due to start and what time is it due to finish?

(And will it f*ck up those heading to Brentford up the A24?)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I really should have listened to The Cycling Podcast, before wading in.

As an interested (for the day!) non-cyclist can someone explain please what a 'profile' is in regards to this event?
This years event has been ungraded to HC class, which is the highest category available, with a 5 year contract.
I'm not really going to move away from the 1/4 final analogy other than to say HC makes the event more like Man City at home, as opposed to 'plucky' Sheffield Utd.

Are they still planning to remove the palace Pier roundabout, for the weekend?
Yep the roundabout is coming out.
What time is it due to start and what time is it due to finish?

(And will it f*ck up those heading to Brentford up the A24?)
It'll be rolling road blocks.
If you're unlucky to get held up it won't be for too long.

Cross reference #22 with your journey.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Doubt I will see much of the cycling from the terracing of Griffin Park, but expect to have a far more entertaining afternoon.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Wiggins, Cavendish, Kittel etc all scheduled to race.

And all scheduled to be ridiculously short odds, even for those stages they have no intentions of going for or of winning.

Doubt I will see much of the cycling from the terracing of Griffin Park, but expect to have a far more entertaining afternoon.

Ah, but was you there when Murray went off the pitch without clapping us fans? I'm pretty sure it was also Murray who nearly knocked a woman out when his missed shot during the pre match warm up hit her full in the face at full pelt. Luckily, we ducked! Thankfully she was fine and I also seem to recall him holding his hand up to apologise. You may struggle to get entertainment like THAT again and the resultant wet beds on here :wink:

So for me it's a cycle over to the East Dean Road for a lovely ride, cracking scenery and a good atmosphere to go with the 30 seconds adrenalin rush as the peloton, and hopefully breakaway first, whizzes past in a blink of the eye :thumbsup:

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
Got them coming through my village on the 13th, but will be at Brentford that day

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I shall pop along to the home of cricket which if course is Staplefield Common and watch the bikers go by whilst enjoying a pint in the Tanners. Marvellous.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
you there when Murray went off the pitch without clapping us fans? I'm pretty sure it was also Murray who nearly knocked a woman out when his missed shot during the pre match warm up hit her full in the face at full pelt. Luckily, we ducked! Thankfully she was fine and I also seem to recall him holding his hand up to apologise. You may struggle to get entertainment like THAT again and the resultant wet beds on here :wink:

So for me it's a cycle over to the East Dean Road for a lovely ride, cracking scenery and a good atmosphere to go with the 30 seconds adrenalin rush as the peloton, and hopefully breakaway first, whizzes past in a blink of the eye :thumbsup:

How very chivalrous of you!

Do they go via the Gap or just bypass the village?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Uckfield is really excited. Flags going up and lots happening. Good news is we have a 90 degree sharp turn from a small lane into the high street with traffic lights blocking a smooth run. Hoping for some action there. Bad news is that from there it's down hill through the town with an expected speed of 60mph. Should be all over in about 30 seconds. The Tour de France has a convoy of advertising vehicles travelling ahead of the cyclists entertaining the crowd but I don't think this race has.
DITCHLING BEACON. Stood at the top to watch a tour many years ago and they wizzed past as though it was not there.
PIER ROUNDABOUT. Surely someone is joking about removing it. What a total waste of money. It is a joke isn't it?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
How very chivalrous of you!

Do they go via the Gap or just bypass the village?

Oops, I see what you mean now. I make it sound like we ducked and so she copped it as a result as she was right behind us, which wasn't the case. We was right near the front and she was up near the back. I also had two ten yr olds with me under clear instructions to keep their eyes wide open and duck as soon as anything looked like coming our way. I didn't fancy the explanations when I got home had I suggested anything different.

Here's the official page with stage 7 map and profile. http://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/stages/stage7/#.VAsDJsJdWzn

Go to the OS map and zoom right in and you'll see they do indeed go via the Gap :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What is the route it is taking through Brighton so i can best plan so it don't **** up my whole day?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
PIER ROUNDABOUT. Surely someone is joking about removing it. What a total waste of money. It is a joke isn't it?
Nope, it's allegedly coming out.

Brighton have paid to have the race, and for it to finish down wotsit drive the roundabout can't stay.
The organisers will be hoping for a sprint finish, for that to be the case that roundabout has the potential to, at best, end someone's career.

It's not like it's a massive floral one.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Attachments

• TOF Times 11.jpg
    TOF Times 11.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 196

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here