Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Tour de France 2021

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Ritchie Porte @ dirty knees e/w for me...

My usual loss of £2 on Sonny Colbrelli in the sprint stages looks sure to continue, though he won a stage at the Dolphin and took the green jersey so hope springs eternal

Ive put Colbrelli in my fantasy team this year. Not the fastest pure sprinter I agree, but Im hoping that with a lumpy first week he will be fresher than the likes of Cavendish, Merlier etc. by the final few metres in a couple of stages...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Same here. I ruddy love Le Tour but it's the only event I follow. I've tried watching the other grand tours but for whatever reason they just don't get me hooked in the same way TdF does. It will take 3 or 4 days to be reminded of the usual suspects in contention for each category, then I'll be hooked again.

I would love to see Cav grabbing a couple of stage wins. I started watching TdF in 2011, just when he was getting into his stride.

Sadly le Tour isn't an ideal springboard for future cycling enthusiasm, as it comes at the end of the 'summer' season.

Naturally after there's a lull before heading off to Spain's Tour, who, bless them, are trying hard to move away from their unfathomable love of a motorway, finishing with a couple of autumn races.

If and I know that's a mahooosive IF, you wanted to be fully immersed in cycling for the Tour, IMHO you need to start in March.

The Spring Classics, one day monument races, are fantastic.
On some familiar roads absolutely steeped in history.
As with the tour very little of those is to do with actually racing a bike!

They gently point you towards two 5 days races, you'll want to know the results of.
Before the Giro.

After that you'll be ready for Le Tour and then a rest till next year.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sadly le Tour isn't an ideal springboard for future cycling enthusiasm, as it comes at the end of the 'summer' season.

Naturally after there's a lull before heading off to Spain's Tour, who, bless them, are trying hard to move away from their unfathomable love of a motorway, finishing with a couple of autumn races.

If and I know that's a mahooosive IF, you wanted to be fully immersed in cycling for the Tour, IMHO you need to start in March.

The Spring Classics, one day monument races, are fantastic.
On some familiar roads absolutely steeped in history.
As with the tour very little of those is to do with actually racing a bike!

They gently point you towards two 5 days races, you'll want to know the results of.
Before the Giro.

After that you'll be ready for Le Tour and then a rest till next year.

I did actually go to watch one of the Spring Classics in Liege. My ex was really into cycling, so we made a long weekend of it. The location was great and it was fun to cheer them on with all the locals.

The only trouble was almost everything in Liege was closed on a Sunday. So, we watched the start, walked around trying to find things to do for a couple of hours, then found a spot to watch the finish.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Also always hooked on the Grand Tours.

However, perusing my Official Race Guide I note the first Cat 1 climb is not till Stage 8, so whole of first week- breakaways/sprints/time trial, with only real mountain stages being 8, 9, 11 (Ventoux twice!), 15, 17, 18. Normally feels like there are more than 6 of 21 mountain stages?

Is this to assist Alaphilippe to get then stay in yellow as long as poss?

I know Alaphilippe is saying he is just after stage wins but I suspect he has at least half an eye on the main prize and I agree that the route seems set up for him (as far as it can be). I like his riding style and I hope he wins (outside of the British hopes).

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ive just had bi-lateral inguinal hernia surgery and the timing for my post-op recovery couldn't be better with the European Championships, the Tour de France, Tennis and Cricket all featuring large on daytime TV. I was thinking that maybe I'd get a maid, find a place nearby for her to stay, just someone to keep my house clean, fix my meals and go away.

D

Deleted member 22389

Same here. I ruddy love Le Tour but it's the only event I follow. I've tried watching the other grand tours but for whatever reason they just don't get me hooked in the same way TdF does. It will take 3 or 4 days to be reminded of the usual suspects in contention for each category, then I'll be hooked again.

I would love to see Cav grabbing a couple of stage wins. I started watching TdF in 2011, just when he was getting into his stride.

The Giro d'Italia is great as the organisers are tough on the riders and the bikes with the choice of terrain. Also the Paris - Roubaix with the cobbled sections.

D

Deleted member 22389

I did actually go to watch one of the Spring Classics in Liege. My ex was really into cycling, so we made a long weekend of it. The location was great and it was fun to cheer them on with all the locals.

The only trouble was almost everything in Liege was closed on a Sunday. So, we watched the start, walked around trying to find things to do for a couple of hours, then found a spot to watch the finish.

Been to Paris twice for the final day, but also watched the Time trial stage 1 in Dunkirk in 2001. It was brilliant in Dunkirk, as there was loads of space to stand so I got see all the riders whizz past properly.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
No team time trials and two individuals, the final one being the penultimate stage. Could be a bit F1 that.

Stage one is a good intro.

The women's 'tour' or one day event should be a good battle too.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Been to Paris twice for the final day, but also watched the Time trial stage 1 in Dunkirk in 2001. It was brilliant in Dunkirk, as there was loads of space to stand so I got see all the riders whizz past properly.

Still hoping to get to Paris one day for the final stage (I did spot the peloton riding towards the finish in 1987/88 as we were driving on the "Peripherique" heading south on holiday) - but have managed to see the TDF in a few places over the years. Down in the Provence hills c.1993 was pretty special when I was 18 (watching Indurain etc. - & even made the Channel 4 highlights!) as well as Normandy in 1991?, but the most recent time was over in Dieppe with a mate in 2015. Caught the midnight Newhaven ferry, got into town for breakfast as the cafes were opening, did a bit of sightseeing before the caravan & race appeared, dinner at a restaurant, then back on the 6pm ferry home. Great day out....but tiring!

D

Deleted member 22389

Still hoping to get to Paris one day for the final stage (I did spot the peloton riding towards the finish in 1987/88 as we were driving on the "Peripherique" heading south on holiday) - but have managed to see the TDF in a few places over the years. Down in the Provence hills c.1993 was pretty special when I was 18 (watching Indurain etc. - & even made the Channel 4 highlights!) as well as Normandy in 1991?, but the most recent time was over in Dieppe with a mate in 2015. Caught the midnight Newhaven ferry, got into town for breakfast as the cafes were opening, did a bit of sightseeing before the caravan & race appeared, dinner at a restaurant, then back on the 6pm ferry home. Great day out....but tiring!

I really hope Dieppe gets chosen for a time trial one day, that would be brilliant or somewhere else along the coast, it's then possibly doable by Ferry and train.

First time I went to Paris me and my friend managed to stand on a wall, so got to see the cyclists properly, which was great. The second time we went the police had stopped people from standing there. Trying to find a space to watch by the barriers was a nightmare, I didn't get to see much at all.

Dunkirk was excellent thou, so much space and because of it being the time trial we were there for 3-4 hours.

Martlet

Jul 15, 2003
The Tour's going to be great this year - the way Pogacar won it last year, essentially by cruising other teams' efforts rather than having a big strong team of his own, has meant that Ineos and Jumbo Visma know they need to do something very different to win the GC.

Cavendish back at 30 and Thomas giving it one last go for the Brits, King Julian for the locals - but have to say it's hard to look beyond Pog and Rog again

Allez Allez...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Great tribute to MVDPs grandfather, Raymond Poulidor, from Alpecin Fenix yesterday at the team presentation - unveiling a Mercier lookalike kit. Just a shame it appears that it wont be worn for the race though. Seems a big expense to go to (with painting the bikes to match - & getting an old school team car as well) and not ride in it all the way to Paris? Tempted to get one to match my new bike tbh....

get-get-1600.jpg
2021-tour-de-france-alpecin-fenix-kit.jpg

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I’m hoping to see Team Qhubeka ASSOS go well, as they’re using Hunt wheels - from Sussex. I think it’ll be tough for them, but they had a great Giro with a few stage wins.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Great tribute to MVDPs grandfather, Raymond Poulidor, from Alpecin Fenix yesterday at the team presentation - unveiling a Mercier lookalike kit. Just a shame it appears that it wont be worn for the race though. Seems a big expense to go to (with painting the bikes to match - & getting an old school team car as well) and not ride in it all the way to Paris? Tempted to get one to match my new bike tbh....

View attachment 137975
View attachment 137976

Those PEugeots are great cars. They make (or made) good bikes too, had my first one when I was 14 from John Spooner in Worthing . Still have one ( 1999 ally framed road bike) and Also finally a John Spooner 531 hand made road racer ( which is lethally fast for a fat old git, but looks the nuts.)

No chance of squeezing into my old top though.

spooner.jpg

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I’m hoping to see Team Qhubeka ASSOS go well, as they’re using Hunt wheels - from Sussex. I think it’ll be tough for them, but they had a great Giro with a few stage wins.

Along with Jumbo Visma & Alpecin etc, Qhubeka have released a new jersey for the TDF after announcing a new co-sponsor for the rest of 2021....& in collaboration with Burberry - but oddly there doesn't seem to be any mention of Hunt on there at all from what I can see :angry:
I wonder if the fly on the shoulder was intentional? :laugh:

TQA-JERSEZ_Nizzo_V4_E_Commerce-5-scaled.jpg

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

The year before was my favourite of his TdF wins - I never tire of watching this - Cav looks like he's on a motorbike...

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I was working in Moulsecombe when the TdF came through, we cycled up through the back of Wild park on to thew top of the hill and saw the peleton et all whizz through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q9na0QJGBQ

That was a great day - I was at the top of Ditchling Rd / Coldean Lane. Still got the route sign in my parents attic that I nicked off the lamp post afterwards!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here