Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tough Crowd

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
RDZ said the problem was allowing City the space to repeatedly pass to Doku and maybe less to do with Milner I can only assume Veltman is carrying an injury as why he didn’t start?

So sorry for March obviously depending upon the diagnosis if it’s an ACL that would rule him out for the rest of the season

Balba will learn from that and needs our support not criticism remember he’s still only 19

we really could do with Moder back soon or RDZ will need to look at the under 21s or recall if possible someone maybe Alzatie

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Those at the game have been saying that Adingra was very poor.
Not very poor, but did little and often went backwards with ball. Looks better as an impact player from bench.

Tough comments on Joao Pedro, who actually run, hustled and tried to make things happen with not much support.

Baleba and Milner were poor on the day.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
With the exception of March who I think did well against an on fire Foden, I do think the others were well out of their depth, especially in the first half.

Not their fault though, more by another ineffectual starting eleven by our leader.

Start Gilmour instead of Baleba in there and I think we'd have competed from the beginning.

This is happening a lot with us improving a lot when the subs come on to address the mistakes in starting eleven.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not unlike our heavy defeat at Aston Villa, when he played littgle Billy Gilmour and young untested Jack Hinshelwood in midfield. He seemed surprised when they were botch completely overrun by Villa's big powerful midfielders.

Yesterday's game was virtually a free hit though, it's the side that he is able to select for Thursday night's game that is more important.
But it wasn’t a free hit…palace go there and get results….so do other clubs. If we are talking us now being a big 6 club we need to stop this “ we don’t expect anything so it’s a free hit”

what it showed yesterday and to be honest we have seen this the last few games is our squad is thin and when we get hit by injuries as with most clubs we suffer. I still think we are suffering from the loss of Mac and Cai. We have sent out a couple of players I would have liked to have stayed and we have not replaced the likes of those two and Tross with similar or better players.

it was always going to be difficult this period but we have sheff at home who hopefully we will put to the sword and get us back on track as we are a bit in free fall from a couple of weeks ago.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Balba will learn from that and needs our support not criticism remember he’s still only 19
Yes. Bissouma got caught in a similar way against Liverpool in one of his early games for us and Salah scored. He learned quickly. Baleba should too.

And they make it sound like March played left back ahead of a host of other options.
True, The same can be said about Milner. If RDZ has one fit natural full back, then Veltman is going to have to play against Ajax. If his aim was to protect him for Thursday, that left him with the choice of Milner or Gross at right back. With all the stick that Milner's getting it's been a bit overlooked that it was Pascal that Doku walked past for the first goal.

Nicks

It will be Pascal at RB and Joel at LB against Ajax me thinks, although did play Jack Hinshelwood at RB against Chelsea pre season and he had a great game there.
Who knows what RDZ is planning?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With the exception of March who I think did well against an on fire Foden, I do think the others were well out of their depth, especially in the first half.

Not their fault though, more by another ineffectual starting eleven by our leader.

Start Gilmour instead of Baleba in there and I think we'd have competed from the beginning.

This is happening a lot with us improving a lot when the subs come on to address the mistakes in starting eleven.
Agree, With Gilmour and Veltman we looked miles more cohesive and started to play rather than cling on.

Whilst we all back RDZ who is generally superb, it did seem weird (easy in retrospect!) to give full starts to both our raw, PL inexperienced youngsters Baleba and Adingra away at Man City?

At home to mid lower teams would seem more sensible, but thats why hes paid the big bucks.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
It will be Pascal at RB and Joel at LB against Ajax me thinks, although did play Jack Hinshelwood at RB against Chelsea pre season and he had a great game there.
Who knows what RDZ is planning?
No more talk of hinsh. We may (probably won't unless in the championship) see him in a couple of years.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Going entirely from a mixture of radio commentary and the match thread at the time, lots of doom and gloom first half with some intermittent praise for Dunk.

Second half was a significant improvement, better performances all over the pitch.

We have to remember that we’re playing the strongest team in the league, and not believe our own hype like we’re nailed on for the Champions League places each season.

Baleba will make mistakes, but will learn from them. Steele needs to be cut some slack. Milner should not be played at right back. (which I thought everyone already knew from previous experiments)

Those are my takeaways from the game. We narrowly lost to the best team in Europe, I’m not rating us all at 2s and 3s for that.

theboybilly

No more talk of hinsh. We may (probably won't unless in the championship) see him in a couple of years.
We will, he's a good young prospect and without doubt a Premier League player. Just a few PL minutes under his belt, appearances at England u18 and u19 level,a player that only 2 years ago I was going to collect from school to take to Lancing and then drop off home afterwards, a young lad that still has 'filling out' to do, and you write him off so easily. Come back in 2 years (when Jack will still only be 20 years of age) and say the same then

Last edited:

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Solly is a former winger playing FB. The real (and valid) point is that turning up with 37 year old Milner at FB was suicidal tactics.
Playing Milner at fullback does not seem to be a good decision in any game atm. I do like him, great professional and all that, however, he's way too slow for that position, I assumed when we signed him he would be playing in midfield and we would use him to close out games.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Going entirely from a mixture of radio commentary and the match thread at the time, lots of doom and gloom first half with some intermittent praise for Dunk.

Second half was a significant improvement, better performances all over the pitch.

We have to remember that we’re playing the strongest team in the league, and not believe our own hype like we’re nailed on for the Champions League places each season.

Baleba will make mistakes, but will learn from them. Steele needs to be cut some slack. Milner should not be played at right back. (which I thought everyone already knew from previous experiments)

Those are my takeaways from the game. We narrowly lost to the best team in Europe, I’m not rating us all at 2s and 3s for that.
Having been at both, it had similarities of Marseille. Pants in the first half, being over run and 2-0 down at HT, massive improvement in second half and had them on back foot.

the 2 major differences is we didnt get the equaliser yesterday, and at Marseille the atmosphere was off the charts good where yesterday it was shockingly bad.

You wouldnt complain about the Amex again, it was that shit!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Agree with the sentiment but no one can give player ratings from listening on a radio.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yesterday was man cities 21st game they'd won at home in a row and we almost got a point.

We're Brighton not Real Madrid.
Totally agree but this attitude that it’s a “ free hit” so fucks me off

are we that fickle asa fan base that we can right off games as no point?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes. Bissouma got caught in a similar way against Liverpool in one of his early games for us and Salah scored. He learned quickly. Baleba should too.

True, The same can be said about Milner. If RDZ has one fit natural full back, then Veltman is going to have to play against Ajax. If his aim was to protect him for Thursday, that left him with the choice of Milner or Gross at right back. With all the stick that Milner's getting it's been a bit overlooked that it was Pascal that Doku walked past for the first goal.
That was the true issue yesterday first half. People having a go at Adingra. Adingra did come back but Milner was signalling to him to go further up field. Captain Slow was "helping" Milner on the right. The result was the two slowest players in EPL together. There was one pass forwards from City that rolled passed Captain Slow and then Milner, neither could move the couple of yards needed quicker enough. Gross is great but some games when he is playing deep just exposes him. Anyone who thinks he's ok at RB must also think Milner is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here