Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tough Choice

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
Not sure £1,000,000 is enough of a tempter these days, could spend that in a week.

£100,000,000 might get some thinking twice. ???

Good point! Even at a 5% return which is going some these days, that's only £50k a year, which I guess gets taxed down to c£35k pa. Hardly a millionaire's lifestyle and would mean most would still have to work to maintain a decent standard of living.

And once you factor in the cost of cooking/cleaning/washing/ironing/gardening/sex that you would forego without a partner, very quickly makes no sense unless it were a lot more than a million!!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Good point! Even at a 5% return which is going some these days, that's only £50k a year, which I guess gets taxed down to c£35k pa. Hardly a millionaire's lifestyle and would mean most would still have to work to maintain a decent standard of living.

And once you factor in the cost of cooking/cleaning/washing/ironing/gardening/sex that you would forego without a partner, very quickly makes no sense unless it were a lot more than a million!![/QUOT

You've missed a key item....the £1m...if you cashed £10k a month, with 5% pm on the £990k pushing it back up to say £995k downwards etc etc you could have a lifestyle of a £200k earner for a decade...

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
£1,000,000 isn't enough to quit a job/career on.

Obviously the correct answer should be to choose the partner regardless of the amount (I don't get to play as I'm single - cue world's smallest violins etc) but if you're going to make it a tough choice, at least make it enough to money to jack everything in and spend your life touring the world...

Edit - sorry, must read page 2 first - just seen Chimneys has made a very similar point!

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
£1,000,000 isn't enough to quit a job/career on.

We'll it is if, like me, you've worked for a number of years and started planning and saving for retirement as soon as you started earning a decent wage. A million DOLLARS would be enough to take my retirement account past the target amount so a million quid would do nicely.

Next question... Where do I find the guy who's buying annoying birds for a million?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Sorry but are some of you mental???

We're talking about £1 million here. Cash, straight away, without a doubt. Absolute no brainer!!!!

yes,lots of dubious posts on this thread

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Money, easy choice. There's always the option of an upgrade if you've got a bit of spare cash

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Me and the missus were discussing a similar issue the other day.

When you are in the throws of a new relationship the question 'would you let your wife sleep with someone for £1m quid always gets the answer - NO WAY.

Give it 10 years of marriage and a monthly struggle to pay the rent... what is the figure now?

I'll keep our answer between me and her!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here