Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tottenham Hotspur vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
We haven’t done well against any bottom team since we been in prem that’s been our problem we can’t put those teams away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly true last season, when we relied on 10pts from "top six" to stay up.

Not sure (without checking) that's true of our first season.
Seem to recall we did much better against teams around us then, but you could be right.

The fact of the matter is that we still haven't spent a week in the relegation zone for the last 3 seasons, which seems to indicate that we are holding our own at this level.
We won't get the breathing space at this level until either, the academy starts producing multiple quality players per season, or we spend significantly larger sums in the transfer market.

I have accepted that we are relying on 3 worse teams than us each season. I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach.
In reality there were 5 worse teams than us last season.
That is progress, I think.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think that he has been well below the levels of previous seasons so far but there is no doubt that we have missed his leadership over the last two games. Gutted that he is also out for Burnley as he is exactly what we need for that game.

That game is the one that worries me most.
Lots of flat crosses, none of our CBs particularly good at attacking the ball, if I could get Duffy for that game I would.

Lamptey and March knocks didn’t look good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Against Chelsea we missed an absolute sitter and James scores a worldly he’ll probably not hit one like that again for years. ManUtd were the luckiest team this season. Travesty of a result, the pen rescinded, the added on time. Spurs have the capability to take teams apart and quite often do, and yet we largely had control of the game, with them needing another VAR decision going against us.

I don’t disagree some of the goals we’re conceding are rubbish, and that needs sorting out, but to say we pass it about aimlessly and we’ve been sussed out - that didn’t strike me as PL and Champions League contenders having sussed us out!

If White had been moved to right back and not Gross that cross would never have come in for Bale to score. Why GP put Gross there out of position I will never know. A tactical disaster.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Certainly true last season, when we relied on 10pts from "top six" to stay up.

Not sure (without checking) that's true of our first season.
Seem to recall we did much better against teams around us then, but you could be right.

The fact of the matter is that we still haven't spent a week in the relegation zone for the last 3 seasons, which seems to indicate that we are holding our own at this level.
We won't get the breathing space at this level until either, the academy starts producing multiple quality players per season, or we spend significantly larger sums in the transfer market.

I have accepted that we are relying on 3 worse teams than us each season. I don't think there is anything wrong with that approach.
In reality there were 5 worse teams than us last season.
That is progress, I think.

It’s a big worry when each season the club attitude is hoping there are three worse teams than us around the bottom ,eventually we will get caught out .

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Against Chelsea we missed an absolute sitter and James scores a worldly he’ll probably not hit one like that again for years. ManUtd were the luckiest team this season. Travesty of a result, the pen rescinded, the added on time. Spurs have the capability to take teams apart and quite often do, and yet we largely had control of the game, with them needing another VAR decision going against us.

I don’t disagree some of the goals we’re conceding are rubbish, and that needs sorting out, but to say we pass it about aimlessly and we’ve been sussed out - that didn’t strike me as PL and Champions League contenders having sussed us out!

As said if Ryan was in goal last night Lamela's shot would have crept in off the post.
Or the early cross (that Sanchez bungled) would have gone in at the near post, having got a bigger deflection from Webster's shin.

That's just how it's going for him.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes. I know. It was inside the box.

Quite how you can say that with no doubt is beyond me from one camera angle miles away. I’ve seen it only a couple of times but it was hugely tight / inconclusive. You’ve spoke about where Kane’s standing from the start so seems you didn’t know the rule, got called out on it and are now ignoring the irrelevance of your comment by simply writing the above. His feet placing is totally irrelevant to where the foul was. I’d say if it’s for a foul on the neck it’s inside, of it’s for the initial contact on the body it’s outside. Fact there wasn’t really a foul there makes it quite hard to debate.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As said if Ryan was in goal last night Lamela's shot would have crept in off the post.
Or the early cross (that Sanchez bungled) would have gone in at the near post, having got a bigger deflection from Webster's shin.

That's just how it's going for him.

Must admit I havent seen Lamela shot back, but I thought it looked like Sanchez thought his shot was going wide and pulled his arms away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Must admit I havent seen Lamela shot back, but I thought it looked like Sanchez thought his shot was going wide and pulled his arms away.

That's not my memory.
Beaten because he's wasn't tall enough, saved by the post.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Recent club history, helps me judge where we are. It’s never a bad thing in life to remember where you’ve come from.

The absolutely EPL pits when we collapsed against Cardiff and Bmuff, not only losing but a complete joke at home in every facet of the game against supposed relegation rivals. In the end people stopped attending in their droves.

Now we play football, but there’s still so much to improve, a work in progress.

I hope you’re enjoying the good bits too.

Who is denying that things were bad in those games?

The quality of the football has improved - the results not so much.

This is a much better squad, quality wise, than it was 18 months ago - but the club is still skirting around the relegation zone. When the lockdown happened last March Brighton hadn't won a game since the previous December and had gained 6 points in 9 games. The lockdown happened at just the right time and Potter deserves credit for having the team prepared when the season restarted. But the current form is more like the pre-lockdown period - losing when you should draw and drawing when you need to win. Last season - drawing at home to Watford and Villa, losing at home to Palace and away to Bournemouth - this season - losing to a poor ManU team and drawing against WBA and Palace. You can only get away with results like that for so long and there is a serious danger of getting cut adrift early in the season in the bottom 4/5. The next game is crucial and they have to beat Burnley and then get a result against Villa before facing Liverpool. Otherwise you face into December with a series of crucial games already facing an uphill battle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This is a much better squad, quality wise, than it was 18 months ago - but the club is still skirting around the relegation zone. When the lockdown happened last March Brighton hadn't won a game since the previous December and had gained 6 points in 9 games. The lockdown happened at just the right time and Potter deserves credit for having the team prepared when the season restarted. But the current form is more like the pre-lockdown period - losing when you should draw and drawing when you need to win. Last season - drawing at home to Watford and Villa, losing at home to Palace and away to Bournemouth - this season - losing to a poor ManU team and drawing against WBA and Palace. You can only get away with results like that for so long and there is a serious danger of getting cut adrift early in the season in the bottom 4/5. The next game is crucial and they have to beat Burnley and then get a result against Villa before facing Liverpool. Otherwise you face into December with a series of crucial games already facing an uphill battle.

[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] pointed out last week that we're still operating on a bottom 6 wages spend. A proven correlation to final PL placing, albeit obviously with variance and outliers each season e.g. the Blades 2019/20.

So, we're as to be expected, when taking away blue-tinted specs.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I thought we played really well with that formation and the players responded well considering the changes made by Potter .

It's again a heartbreaking result but I'm optimistic that results will start to go our way .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Quite how you can say that with no doubt is beyond me from one camera angle miles away. I’ve seen it only a couple of times but it was hugely tight / inconclusive. You’ve spoke about where Kane’s standing from the start so seems you didn’t know the rule, got called out on it and are now ignoring the irrelevance of your comment by simply writing the above. His feet placing is totally irrelevant to where the foul was. I’d say if it’s for a foul on the neck it’s inside, of it’s for the initial contact on the body it’s outside. Fact there wasn’t really a foul there makes it quite hard to debate.

I know I'm biased, but If I'd been the ref I'd have given us a free kick, Kane causing an injury threatening fall for Lallana by deliberately backing into him.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It’s a big worry when each season the club attitude is hoping there are three worse teams than us around the bottom ,eventually we will get caught out .

The worry that we all have is caused by being in the top tier of English football, in arguably the most competitive league in the world.

The club aren't hoping there are three worse clubs, they are taking a great many steps to ensure there are three worse clubs.
So far they have got it right.

They might get it wrong, or just get unlucky, but I believe Tony has assembled an extremely talented group of professionals to ensure the odds are always in our favour.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] pointed out last week that we're still operating on a bottom 6 wages spend. A proven correlation to final PL placing, albeit obviously with variance and outliers each season e.g. the Blades 2019/20.

So, we're as to be expected, when taking away blue-tinted specs.

You are not telling me anything I don't know.

Look back at my comments going back 2/3 years where I point out the fact that Brighton was operating with a bottom 3 budget for the first two seasons in the PL. I also argued that the club would need to spend up to £100m a year on players to make progress. You have to credit the ownership with getting Lamptey on the cheap last year and Lallana and Wellback out of contract - but the total net transfer spend in the summer was zero. Bloom has opened the purse strings somewhat over the past couple of years - going from a bottom 3 to a bottom 6 budget - and had to in order to justify hiring Potter. But as someone said yesterday - this team is not set up for a relegation dog-fight - and they have to get out of that position sooner rather than later.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
There really are some miserable ******** on here.

I listened to the game on 5 Live and even Clinton "Palace" Morrison was banging on about us being the better team and being very unlucky.

We were playing Spurs in their £1bn stadium who have a squad so rammed full of forwards they can bring £600k a week Gareth Bale on from the bench.

Yes, it's disappointing to outplay a team with those kind of resources and come away with nothing. No, it doesn't mean the end of the World.

So many snowflakes......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We haven’t done well against any bottom team since we been in prem that’s been our problem we can’t put those teams away

We took 13 points out of 18 against the bottom 3 last season, and 4 from 6 off Burnley who are shit this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

This is a much better squad, quality wise, than it was 18 months ago - but the club is still skirting around the relegation zone.
When the lockdown happened last March Brighton hadn't won a game since the previous December and had gained 6 points in 9 games. The lockdown happened at just the right time and Potter deserves credit for having the team prepared when the season restarted. But the current form is more like the pre-lockdown period - losing when you should draw and drawing when you need to win. Last season - drawing at home to Watford and Villa, losing at home to Palace and away to Bournemouth - this season - losing to a poor ManU team and drawing against WBA and Palace. You can only get away with results like that for so long and there is a serious danger of getting cut adrift early in the season in the bottom 4/5. The next game is crucial and they have to beat Burnley and then get a result against Villa before facing Liverpool. Otherwise you face into December with a series of crucial games already facing an uphill battle.

This argument is trotted out a lot. We aren't the only club that have improved their squads in the past 18 months.

Huddersfield/Cardiff/Watford/Bournemouth have gone and been replaced by Villa/Sheff Utd/Leeds /West Brom.
I would argue that is a tougher prospect than 18 months ago.

Burnley are the only squad I can think of which have gone backwards. Many others have strengthened much more than us.

No reason at all that we should have progressed any further than we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here