Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory's doing something about immigration or just passing buck?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's not them going after illegals I have a problem with. It's exactly the stance that should be taken. My issue was is this a genuine attempt at curbing their numbers or Political Rhetoric with no backbone or substance. I mean it's already illegal to rent property to immigrants if you know them to be illegal.
like gordon brown with his ''british jobs for british workers'' you mean ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
like gordon brown with his ''british jobs for british workers'' you mean ?
Yes, if you like. Like most of New Labours policies, they got gradually more right wing and gradually less effective. Mess of a party by the time they got voted out.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes, if you like. Like most of New Labours policies, they got gradually more right wing and gradually less effective. Mess of a party by the time they got voted out.
They were a mess all the time , not just the end.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I don't know, but I do know they do raids regularly.

so do the police do raids on criminals .....but less of them because there are less of them
we have a government who are trimming the sevices to the bare bone, but act astounded when people get away with all sorts of criminality, then start looking around for someone to blame.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Back on point. Tory bashing aside, I really don't see what they hope to achieve. Rogue landlords aren't going to reveal their tenants are illegals, if we haven't found them by other means how is this going to help?

"A blacklist of "rogue" landlords and letting agents will allow councils to keep track of those who have been convicted of housing offences and ban them from renting out properties if they are repeat offenders."

True, hardly likely to reveal their address though are they.

Landlords in England will be expected to evict tenants who lose the right to live in the UK under new measures to clamp down on illegal immigration.
They will be able to end tenancies, sometimes without a court order, when asylum requests fail, ministers say.
Under the proposals for landlords in England, the Home Office would issue a notice when an asylum application fails that confirms the tenant no longer has the right to rent property.
Communities Secretary Greg Clark acknowledged that cases in which tenants refused to move out would still end up in court but that the process would be quicker because landlords would have official "evidence" to present to the courts of their tenant's status.
"You have saved the landlord having to spend money establishing something that is clear and that the Home Office can provide - which is a clear statement of whether they should be there or not," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

All info courtesy of the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33754595

you can untwist your knickers now

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its continuation of at least of decade of policies to move checks on immigrants out of the Home Office and into other organisations. the logic is that while they can stay out of sight of immigration, immigrants make themselves known, to employers, landlords, so these become contact points at which to identify them. personally, i think its as much to do with making those organisations take responsibility, and cost burden of administration.

It's not them going after illegals I have a problem with. It's exactly the stance that should be taken. My issue was is this a genuine attempt at curbing their numbers or Political Rhetoric with no backbone or substance. I mean it's already illegal to rent property to immigrants if you know them to be illegal.

if its just an adjustment to the process and punishments, and you dont actually have any objection to the principle, raising the issue looks like veiled political rhetoric itself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ah good, another post from our right wing contingent, failing to comment on the topic and offering absolutely nothing except insults.

Am I obliged to offer an alternative? I don't think I am but here's an idea: When the illegal immigrant has been identified and located why don't the government send the police round to arrest them and deport them? I would imagine that's better than just getting the landlord to turn them onto the street, never to be seen again?

Sigh, the point you seem to have missed is that it will prevent good upstanding landlords from housing them. In exactly the same way employers have to carry out checks on soneones status before employing them. It doesn't stop dodgy landlords or employers from breaking the law though.

Strangely I have never heard you whining about the employer law - could that be because it was enacted by Labour ( correctly in my view ) ? Really stop the Tory bashing because you're looking like a moaning old lying old f**kwit. In this case they've introduced a very similar idea to Labours.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But there is no legal obligation on the landlord to check. This will ensure they have to check.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here