Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory - The caring conservatives

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
READ THE ARTICLE! Comments made by a pressure group not the Tories. But hey, why let that get in the way of an opportunity to throw more abuse (not necessarily you personally but so many that oppose the government) at the Tories and their supporters rather than offer credible policy alternatives.

Perhaps you should have a close look at who was in attendance.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Ah I see. Typical Tory attitude , "well I don't need it and I know someone else who doesn't need it so let's cut it for everyone".

I had expected nothing less from you. You were in such a rush to post your usual diatribe you conveniently decided to miss out the bit where I said that it is a lifeline for some folk. This time, read it properly - some need it, some don't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
READ THE ARTICLE! Comments made by a pressure group not the Tories. But hey, why let that get in the way of an opportunity to throw more abuse (not necessarily you personally but so many that oppose the government) at the Tories and their supporters rather than offer credible policy alternatives.

Don't be deliberately dense. A TORY 'pressure group' speaking at the TORY party conference, fronted by a high ranking TORY.

'Not the Tories' my arse.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You are aware that Tories aren't just the elected members of Parliament! TPA is pretty much a right of centre conservative think tank. Liam Fox is also quite a high ranking member of the party who was on the top table at that press conference.

You are aware that a small niche thinktank and one Tory MP doesn't represent the views of all Tories aren't you ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I had expected nothing less from you. You were in such a rush to post your usual diatribe you conveniently decided to miss out the bit where I said that it is a lifeline for some folk. This time, read it properly - some need it, some don't.

Well, it seems you don't understand what you wrote. What is your point exactly? The Tories want to cut it across the board. I think that's a very bad idea. You seemed to disagree with this yet now you agree with it? Try and organise your argument before you type.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
You obviously didn't read the whole article or look at the picture!

Yes I read the article and it is the TA that make the inapproriate and offensice comments. Fox (in so mnay words) makes the political commentary that pensioners have been immune to all cuts (in fact have sen their support from the gove increase ) and that may not be sustainable if we are to deal with the deficit etc. Its an opinion that should at least be open to discussion.

Re the photo (and Nibbles subsequent post) it would be odd if people spoke at a party conference but noone from the party was present. Corbyn et al will have attended some presentations from less savoury left wing pressure groups. And so they ALL should in order to form opinion. What matters is what they say or do subsequently and why. This applies to all politicians of all persuasions.

If all we do is throw insults at politicians and their voters we will ultimatley get the politicians we deserve - perhaps we allready have on all sides of the spectrum

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You are aware that a small niche thinktank and one Tory MP doesn't represent the views of all Tories aren't you ?

A Tory pressure group at the Tory conference headed by a leading Tory. Even you can't be so pigheaded as to think that doesn't mean something?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Don't be deliberately dense. A TORY 'pressure group' speaking at the TORY party conference, fronted by a high ranking TORY.

'Not the Tories' my arse.

Using that theory all the Labour Party currently are IRA sympathisers.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
What, all those millions who voted Tory -all are revolting, presumably? I don't claim winter fuel allowance, even though I could, as we really don't need it. Am I still revolting? Or I could be like my life-long friends, who use the allowance to fund their air fares to their house in Portugal . .
Doubtless some folk desperately rely on the allowance, but not in all cases.

As I understand it, it's paid automatically. Only 29 people per annum return it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31963099

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
As I understand it, it's paid automatically. Only 400 people per annum return it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-31963099
I believe this to be the case - my Grandad receives it despite not being in a financial position to require it, and has had immense difficulties convincing the relevant authorities to either take it back or not pay it to him in the first place.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Again, Tory voters, hang your heads in shame, hang your heads.
Yet again, Tory voters, hang your heads.
I'm still hanging my head in shame for voting for Blair. Not only did his government get us into the economic mess we're still trying to get out of, but it took us to a war that's still shaping the world for the worse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I'm still hanging my head in shame for voting for Blair. Not only did his government get us into the economic mess we're still trying to get out of, but it took us to a war that's still shaping the world for the worse.

nothing to do with bailing the banks out then?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

And your point is?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I believe this to be the case - my Grandad receives it despite not being in a financial position to require it, and has had immense difficulties convincing the relevant authorities to either take it back or not pay it to him in the first place.

Wouldn't it be easier just to pay it to a charity for the elderly, Age UK for example, or maybe a charity for the homeless?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Well, it seems you don't understand what you wrote. What is your point exactly? The Tories want to cut it across the board. I think that's a very bad idea. You seemed to disagree with this yet now you agree with it? Try and organise your argument before you type.

You began by saying that the Tories are revolting, and that pensioners rely on benefits such as the winter fuel allowance. The purpose of my post, now that I clearly need to be more explicit for you, was to demonstrate that not all need to rely on it, and thus looking at the expenditure on this benefit might not be as draconian as it seems. I assume that means testing would be incredibly complicated and thus expensive, and so it is paid to all. It is not a question of agreeing one way or the other, just stating the obvious that it is by no means universally needed. Hopefully this will now be clear, even for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here