Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tory plan to destroy the Beeb...

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Typical ****in Tories - they can't live with the fact they can't own something. I'd happily donate to a crowdfunding mission to raise 50m or so the BBC can stick their two fingers up at the *****.

It is the generous spiritied people like you that will ensure the BBC has a bright future.

This is a great idea for the supporters of the BBC to rally round to ensure that the poor who are being ground into dust by the tories welfare cuts can still access output like changing rooms and cash in the attic.

Those multi millionaires who have benefitted the most from the BBC largesse, and who recently sign a letterto save the BBC will no doubt be the first to weigh in to the pot to ensure that our most destitute fellow citizens are not criminalised for having to ultimately pay their wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...f-stars-sign-letter-calling-to-save-bbc-three

Out of interest how much are you contributing to start the campaign off?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Oh and f*ck competition. The one thing this society doesn't need is any of our so called media entrepreneurs running the show when it comes to the managing our country's information, education and entertainment. I'd sooner leave the to a Trust that is owned by us all!
Agreed. I just hope that consumers do actually respond to requests for feedback when this review gets underway in order to get a balanced view on what it should provide in the future. If Cameron is taking the view that it needs to change then all we will get fed is a biased view of how good it will be to have competition etc - which is just b*llocks. I have never seen consumers becoming better off as a result of "competition" or chopping services up into constituent parts.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
It is the generous spiritied people like you that will ensure the BBC has a bright future.

This is a great idea for the supporters of the BBC to rally round to ensure that the poor who are being ground into dust by the tories welfare cuts can still access output like changing rooms and cash in the attic.

Those multi millionaires who have benefitted the most from the BBC largesse, and who recently sign a letterto save the BBC will no doubt be the first to weigh in to the pot to ensure that our most destitute fellow citizens are not criminalised for having to ultimately pay their wages.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/artic...f-stars-sign-letter-calling-to-save-bbc-three

Out of interest how much are you contributing to start the campaign off?

Hehe.

This much *......*.

P.S Changing rooms? Good to see you're keeping up with current programming :)

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The BBC is the organisation that guarantees balance; guarantees quality and guarantees accessibility for all. It does this not just through its services, but because it exists. It is a force to ensure other broadcasters and media outlets behave in a similar fashion - or at least attempt to do so. A world without the BBC would leave us open to the PR spin of the media mogul with the biggest budget. You want Fox TV?

The BBC is the envy of many people worldwide. To give up the BBC would be a moment of madness and something that the vast majority of citizens in the world outside would fail to understand.

BBC 1, 2, 3, 4, Radio 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 1xtra, BBC Proms, bbc.co.uk, BBC News, BBC Sport, BBC iWonder Guides, iPlayer, podcasts, crown jewel events, Cbeebies, BBC America and the World Service. Just a few things. Not bad for 40p a day. Try getting the same value from other providers who are more interesting in generating profits for their shareholders.

Your point about Fox TV surely means the BBC is not forcing other broadcasters to "behave in a similar fashion", and if you think they are a paragon of virtue you are quite wrong as the Saville and Lord McAlpine scandals have demonstrated.

That is not to begin on the scandals with licence feepayers money being churned in a cycle of payoffs for senior execs that was outside any form of governance that would exist in private commercial concerns, and before we get to the systematic criminalisation and imprisonment of the poor for non payment.

The BBC may well be the envy of the world, however if they get output and are not resident they are not paying for it, make them pay and maybe they wont be so dewy eyed.

As for your point about the Trust owned by us all, well let the dog see the rabbit. The BBC has huge incomes in addition to the licence fee by selling copyright and formats etc. if they have they kind revenue and profit I suspect the Trust should cut the fat and give the "owners" a dividend.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Why did razor-sharp Sandy Toksvig and man of the people Jeremy Hardie not sign the letter? Are they disillusioned with the BBC or have they been bought by the Murdoch empire?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
did you think the bailout was a nationalisation?
Yes because Labour was in power , without the bailout it would have triggered a domino effect. If you think about it the Tories have at least done better than when selling off Girobank to Alliance & Leicester in 1990 for £1.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Your point about Fox TV surely means the BBC is not forcing other broadcasters to "behave in a similar fashion", and if you think they are a paragon of virtue you are quite wrong as the Saville and Lord McAlpine scandals have demonstrated.

That is not to begin on the scandals with licence feepayers money being churned in a cycle of payoffs for senior execs that was outside any form of governance that would exist in private commercial concerns, and before we get to the systematic criminalisation and imprisonment of the poor for non payment.

The BBC may well be the envy of the world, however if they get output and are not resident they are not paying for it, make them pay and maybe they wont be so dewy eyed.

As for your point about the Trust owned by us all, well let the dog see the rabbit. The BBC has huge incomes in addition to the licence fee by selling copyright and formats etc. if they have they kind revenue and profit I suspect the Trust should cut the fat and give the "owners" a dividend.

I'm not aware that Fox TV is yet broadcasting in the UK.

Also, I think the rabbit needs a bit of cash to invest in advances like iplayer.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Unless they're paying for it as part of a cable package of course.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Why did razor-sharp Sandy Toksvig and man of the people Jeremy Hardie not sign the letter? Are they disillusioned with the BBC or have they been bought by the Murdoch empire?

Or perhaps Danny Cohen forgot to include them in his letter?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I'm not aware that Fox TV is yet broadcasting in the UK.

Also, I think the rabbit needs a bit of cash to invest in advances like iplayer.

FOX is on the Sky platform along with Fox News.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes because Labour was in power , without the bailout it would have triggered a domino effect.

i dont hink you understand the point. it wasnt brought into national ownership as a matter of policy, it was an emergency measure. they were always intent on selling the shares back to the market when suitable. it is now a suitable time and the government has been disposing of the holding at a profit.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
i dont hink you understand the point. it wasnt brought into national ownership as a matter of policy, it was an emergency measure. they were always intent on selling the shares back to the market when suitable. it is now a suitable time and the government has been disposing of the holding at a profit.

I do understand the point , the whole UK economy could have collapsed. Don't be fooled by the headlines that the disposition is being sold off at a profit as Lloyds/TSB wasn't the only bank that had to be bailed out and overall the figures don't look so rosy if the National Audit Office report from last month is to be believed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here