Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

ClemFandango

Oct 2, 2023
It also reveals the extent to which Israel has set the agenda recently. They do this quite simply. They associate Palestine/Palestinians with Hamas who they denounce as terrorists and/or ISIS, and they also attack any critics of Israel as antisemites and Jew-haters on spurious grounds.
You appear to have forgotten that Hamas carried out a massacre of October 7 and are currently holding over 100 people hostage

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
and has proved so popular among the political contributors of NSC, is to state quite confidently that Corbyn is antisemitic and, when evidence is asked for this claim, the usual strategy is to obfuscate and deflect.

The best analysis and criticism of the far left's issue issue with antisemitism comes from the far left itself, I've just read a fascinating article.

Their "issue" is more complex than a reaction to the Israeli Government's abhorrent behaviour. It's fused with anti-capitalism and long standing conspiracy theories that festered within Marxist ideology.

It's a subject that has fascinated me for years (as has the far right) and I've read a lot about it. I suggest you hunt out the same. It's always more enlightening to listen to those close to the problem (and those who call it out often at their expense) rather those who attempt to make political capital out it as you imply your colleagues on NSC do.

Corbyn let it happen because he simply didn't realise it was a problem. Not that different from the position the Tories now find themselves.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'm really bad with complex dramas on TV which is why I refuse to watch them. I've often annoyed the other half by asking her to rewind what I've just seen because I've become instantly confused.

I've rewound the above ten times and I'm still confused.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
The best analysis and criticism of the far left's issue issue with antisemitism comes from the far left itself, I've just read a fascinating article.

Their "issue" is more complex than a reaction to the Israeli Government's abhorrent behaviour. It's fused with anti-capitalism and long standing conspiracy theories that festered within Marxist ideology.

It's a subject that has fascinated me for years (as has the far right) and I've read a lot about it. I suggest you hunt out the same. It's always more enlightening to listen to those close to the problem (and those who call it out often at their expense) rather those who attempt to make political capital out it as you imply your colleagues on NSC do.

Corbyn let it happen because he simply didn't realise it was a problem. Not that different from the position the Tories now find themselves.Can you give a link
How do you define the "far left" ? What are these issues to which you refer, and what are these long standing conspiracy theories? A link to the article would be useful

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
How do you define the "far left" ? What are these issues to which you refer, and what are these long standing conspiracy theories? A link to the article would be useful

I'm a great fan of Karl Marx, his critique of capitalism is second to none, but he had a difficult second album. Those who still think his niche second album was the greatest album ever produced are the far left. Like those odd Queen fans who think Hot Space was their greatest work.

I'm not on here to be helpful to you. If you confront the issue first, it's easy to find what you require. I suggest you help yourself.

The deflection is actually Corbyn. Left wing politics has a long history of antisemitism, something it has failed to truly embrace. The failure to embrace it has led the right of politics (which has a more obvious history) to take the moral high ground. Something that should be deeply embarresing.

Why view point doesn't make me right wing, a "centrist" a Blairite or fan of Starmer, it just makes me a realist.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I'm really bad with complex dramas on TV which is why I refuse to watch them. I've often annoyed the other half by asking her to rewind what I've just seen because I've become instantly confused.

I've rewound the above ten times and I'm still confused.

Willy by name, Willy by nature……

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
It is believed two of the 12 MPs also sent pictures. This is the MP who called the National Trust 'woke'.

Why hasn't he been sacked? He should have been booted out by now.

I'm sure there will now be a lengthy internal enquiry that will drag on until the GE when he will stand down to "spend more time with his family" so he can claim his "leaving Parliament" bonus.

ETA You would like to think that people who are elected to Parliament have a modicom of common sense. How desperate have you got to be to fall for a scam like this? It's the bloody internet! "Trust Nobody. Believe Nothing".....and you won't go too far wrong.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Why hasn't he been sacked? He should have been booted out by now.

I'm sure there will now be a lengthy internal enquiry that will drag on until the GE when he will stand down to "spend more time with his family" so he can claim his "leaving Parliament" bonus.

ETA You would like to think that people who are elected to Parliament have a modicom of common sense. How desperate have you got to be to fall for a scam like this? It's the bloody internet! "Trust Nobody. Believe Nothing".....and you won't go too far wrong.

It is obviously standard behaviour in the Tory party.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just when you think they have sunk to the lowest they can go, they find another level. I cannot imagine any other organisation where admitting to sharing the personal details of colleagues to a sexually motivated, presumably anonymous, contact would not result in immediate dismissal.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Should be sacked on the spot.
Why does this keep coming up? (sigh). Governments can't sack an MP, it can sack a minister ... but Wragg's not a minister. His constituency party could deselect him but as he's not standing again, that's not really relevant. He can, of course, have the whip withdrawn but I suspect that may lead to questions as to who the other two MPs are and why are they free of any sanctions.

If there's a police action and he's sentenced to a prison term or if he's suspended from parliament for more than 30 days, then his constituency could call for a new election but, as he's not standing, that's not going to happen.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
He has apologised. That is all it takes to get off the hook with this lot. Jeremy C Hunt has praised him as courageous.
That's UK politics under the Tories.

You can be a racist, mysoginist, a grubby perv providing sensitive security data to people or persons unknown, but as long as you say "sorry" all is well with the world.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Just when you think they have sunk to the lowest they can go, they find another level. I cannot imagine any other organisation where admitting to sharing the personal details of colleagues to a sexually motivated, presumably anonymous, contact would not result in immediate dismissal.

Indeed. This would almost certainly be an instant gross misconduct suspension pending investigation and hearing that would almost certainly result in dismissal in the vast majority of private companies. Especially given a private company would be facing up to having to report the data breach to the ICO and therefore potentially huge fines.

Why does this keep coming up? (sigh). Governments can't sack an MP, it can sack a minister ... but Wragg's not a minister. His constituency party could deselect him but as he's not standing again, that's not really relevant. He can, of course, have the whip withdrawn but I suspect that may lead to questions as to who the other two MPs are and why are they free of any sanctions.

If there's a police action and he's sentenced to a prison term or if he's suspended from parliament for more than 30 days, then his constituency could call for a new election but, as he's not standing, that's not going to happen.

It's not about what the rules stipulate as written today (rules written by the MPs and/or those the MPs appoint). It's about what *should* happen. IMO an MP should be held to higher standards than your average person on the street. Let's face, what this MP has admitted to is an absolute howler and (so far) we as a country are very, very lucky to have got away with it. This could have been far worse. There could and should be parliamentary rules and processes in place that enable the immediate removal (either temporarily or permanently) of MPs who have shown a disregard for rules, procedures, laws, and basic common sense to such an extent that it poses risk others.

In this particular case, an MP should have a very, very thorough understanding of data protection laws and face significant consequences should they breach them. An apology is simply not enough IMO. This MP has shown that he is not fit to be an MP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here