[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Shame there’s no one in Parliament today of the calibre of John Smith. If he hadn’t died so young, he would’ve been PM and we would never have gone to war with Iraq, would probably have our own Constitution in a single document and a far better relationship with the EU.

I think that’s a difficult call to make. No-one really knows whether they can step up until put in that position. Who knows what would have been said about Blair if he hadn’t made it to 1997. Maybe a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Supporters of JC and BJ In their own way, both as bad as each other.

If you want to know why some supporters of JC are so vile, we'd be opening up once again the whole antisemitism can of worms.

Yes, I'm a centrist/moderate and feel that's where the majority of sensible people sit.

This.

The idea that Corbyn's policies would have improved the country is debatable at best. The Tory and Labour parties were incredibly similar prior to 2019 General Election, both split along ideological lines in terms of culture and values and, of course, Brexit, with fanatical cabals forming around controversial leaders.

The biggest farce was former EU cheerleader Johnson promising to Get Brexit Done and JC, forever ideologically opposed to trade blocs, supposedly leading the opposition to that view. The anti-Semitic JC, adopting Remain as a flag of convenience has no more principles than Johnson.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think that’s a difficult call to make. No-one really knows whether they can step up until put in that position. Who knows what would have been said about Blair if he hadn’t made it to 1997. Maybe a case of the grass is always greener on the other side.

I don't know how old you are but John Smith was a very talented politician.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
This.

The idea that Corbyn's policies would have improved the country is debatable at best. The Tory and Labour parties were incredibly similar prior to 2019 General Election, both split along ideological lines in terms of culture and values and, of course, Brexit, with fanatical cabals forming around controversial leaders.

The biggest farce was former EU cheerleader Johnson promising to Get Brexit Done and JC, forever ideologically opposed to trade blocs, supposedly leading the opposition to that view. The anti-Semitic JC, adopting Remain as a flag of convenience has no more principles than Johnson.

Spot on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Let's hope the next PM has a better grip on the truth than the outgoing joker:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/62071182

One can see why he tasked Dorries to defund the BBC....

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rishi Sunak, the former chancellor, has launched his campaign for the Tory leadership with a slick video. In it he stresses his immigrant heritage, declares that “family is everything to me” and insists that he will not be a candidate offering “comforting fairy tales”.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rishi Sunak, the former chancellor, has launched his campaign for the Tory leadership with a slick video. In it he stresses his immigrant heritage, declares that “family is everything to me” and insists that he will not be a candidate offering “comforting fairy tales”.

Interestingly his official campaign domain - readyforrishi.com was registered 23rd December 2021

[tweet]1545435897226838016[/tweet]

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Boris will probably take Larry the cat. When asked if he knows where Larry is, he'll say he's never seen him. When evidence comes to light that he's been seen stroking him on many occasions in Downing Street he'll say he's met him once. When someone takes pictures of Larry in Boris's new garden, he'll say he forgot that Larry wasn't his cat. :facepalm:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Are you #ready4rishi :sick:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Are you #ready4rishi :sick:
An Opinium poll for Channel 4 News shows former Chancellor Rishi Sunak as the most popular choice to be the next leader among Conservative Party members.
The poll puts Sunak on 25% just ahead of foreign secretary Liz Truss on 21% with defence secretary Ben Wallace at 12%.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
No 10 has announced further government appointments.

Heather Wheeler is now parliamentary secretary at the Cabinet Office.

Guy Opperman has been made parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Work and Pensions.

Julie Marson has been appointed parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Work and Pensions, and an assistant Government whip.

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017

Why are members of the party pointing out that they came to the UK with nothing, didn't speak English etc but now are cabinet members that are mostly minted. Pritti Patel wants to send people to Rwanda. The Windrush generation who were asked to come here to help rebuild the country were being sent back not that long ago as they didn't have 'papers' even if they'd been here for years.
All Rishi is going to do is say/do is 'I gave furlough payments & grants to self employed, Boris spent a load of cash on dodgy things & he forced me to find the money as he didn't have a clue, so now I'm going to reduce tax for those that earn a lot of money & put measures to ensure those that don't have a lot will be vilified some more & will not get any extra to help with the cost of living, as they're all lazy ****wits, even if they're disabled or have 4 jobs'. Maybe I'm just getting more cynical with age.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
To retain their majority the Tories need to find someone who can win (if I may borrow on more recent events) Tiverton, Wakefield and Amersham. Tough ask. Don't think any of the current crop can do it personally.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1545451282864930817[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Guy Opperman has been made parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Work and Pensions.

Julie Marson has been appointed parliamentary under-secretary of state at the Department for Work and Pensions, and an assistant Government whip.

Peter Bone Deputy Leader of the Commons, Andrea Jenkyns Junior minister for Education, following her screaming at the public yesterday and giving them the bird.
:facepalm:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Struggling to see the point of this as they are all pretty much secondments, a new Prime Minister will have to get rid of all the Johnson worshipping appointmentees instantly.

Still I suppose they get an enhanced pension now as a thank you for sucking on Johnson's teat ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports