Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
point is he's all opportunism, no planning. he's not capabable of thinking ahead, judging others reactions and setting in play some ruse lasting months. end of the week is his horizon.

there's no scenario where he's party leader and continues in office. once a new leader is appointed, Queen makes them PM - Johnson doesnt have any say.

The Queen cannot make them PM until the existing one offers his resignation to her. He hasn’t yet done so. Will he do it some time in the future? Who knows?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm beginning to wonder whether his plan is to release everything that any prospective Conservative party leader has been up to. After all, he still has the whips and their little black books, and I'm absolutely certain that we have only seen the tip of what has gone on over the last 2.5 years. It will be like Cummings, but with the whole Government machine still working for him picking off his successors one by one.

Let's face it, Britain and the Economy is going to hell in a handcart, so deriving a little entertainment along the way is probably the best we can hope for :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Unless ERG Big Cheese and Hard Man Of Brexit, Steve Baker, totally hoodwinked me yesterday I don't think there is any chance Johnson is in cahoots with the ERG.

I’m on a train so can’t link the tweet showing Andrea Jenkins screaming at the public, about Wait & See, and He who laughs last, laughs loudest.

Mind you, a massive split in the Conservative party is good for the opposition.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Queen cannot make them PM until the existing one offers his resignation to her. He hasn’t yet done so. Will he do it some time in the future? Who knows?

I confess that when you first pointed out the fact that he hadn't resigned, my first reaction was somewhat dismissive.

But the more I read around the subject, and in view of Andrea Jenkyns' shouting 'wait and see' at the crowd, and then Rory Stewart's impressive interview with James O'Brien, I'm beginning to realise that the short term future is quite uncertain. Entertaining, yes. But uncertain.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm beginning to wonder whether his plan is to release everything that any prospective Conservative party leader has been up to. After all, he still has the whips and their little black books, and I'm absolutely certain that we have only seen the tip of what has gone on over the last 2.5 years. It will be like Cummings, but with the whole Government machine still working for him picking off his successors one by one.

Let's face it, Britain and the Economy is going to hell in a handcart, so deriving a little entertainment along the way is probably the best we can hope for :lolol:

Thinking about it more, look at what Johnson did to Sunak, with No 10 leaking his financial affairs the moment Johnson thought he was getting above his station. There's every chance that the dodgy PPE 'fast track' contracts could wipe out half the runners and riders, throw in a couple of Russian donations, a couple of expenses 'mistakes' and the odd sexual assault. Maybe that's why there needs to be so many 'contenders'.

And we could still end up with Suella Braverman as PM, not on account of any core integrity, honesty or intellect but simply because she was too stupid to take advantage when all the others did :facepalm:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I confess that when you first pointed out the fact that he hadn't resigned, my first reaction was somewhat dismissive.

But the more I read around the subject, and in view of Andrea Jenkyns' shouting 'wait and see' at the crowd, and then Rory Stewart's impressive interview with James O'Brien, I'm beginning to realise that the short term future is quite uncertain. Entertaining, yes. But uncertain.

Jenkyn's has got to be one of the most toxic individuals in the Tory party, and a Trump lover...

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Yep. Whoever is the next Prime Minister is going to have a very difficult time.
They will be under intense scrutiny as to whether they are up to the job or not.

Bojo will have his network of media contacts undermining their campaigns left right and centre.
A well managed media campaign highlighting what a hero he is staying on, whilst the jackals rip each other apart, will then follow.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They will be under intense scrutiny as to whether they are up to the job or not.

Bojo will have his network of media contacts undermining their campaigns left right and centre.
A well managed media campaign highlighting what a hero he is staying on, whilst the jackals rip each other apart, will then follow.

This campaign you speak of started this morning.

“What have you done”!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thinking about it more, look at what Johnson did to Sunak, with No 10 leaking his financial affairs the moment Johnson thought he was getting above his station. There's every chance that the dodgy PPE 'fast track' contracts could wipe out half the runners and riders, throw in a couple of Russian donations, a couple of expenses 'mistakes' and the odd sexual assault. Maybe that's why there needs to be so many 'contenders'.

And we could still end up with Suella Braverman as PM, not on account of any core integrity, honesty or intellect but simply because she was too stupid to take advantage when all the others did :facepalm:

And we never found out who the nipple licking drink spiker was.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

That sounds very un-Tory!!!

His 'replacement' will crumble.
The depfeffel PR machine will work.

While that's going on, inexplicably Starmer will be ousted by The Labour Party.
They in turn will replace him with Diane Abbott.

BoJo will win the election by a greater majority.
The remnants of the Labour Party will turn to a moderate.

And we're all right back to square one.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Lord help us ..

Priti Patel, the home secretary, is considering standing in the Tory leadership contest, according to Esther Webber at Politico. “[Patel has] long been a darling of the Tory grassroots and may feel this is her moment, although her time in charge of the Home Office has not convinced everyone she’s a steady hand on the tiller,” Webber writes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Lord help us ..

Priti Patel, the home secretary, is considering standing in the Tory leadership contest, according to Esther Webber at Politico. “[Patel has] long been a darling of the Tory grassroots and may feel this is her moment, although her time in charge of the Home Office has not convinced everyone she’s a steady hand on the tiller,” Webber writes.

This news has lit up the betting exchanges, Last traded price 64/1 current best odds 124/1

:)

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Lord help us ..

Interestingly Tory Brexiter Andrew Bridgen claims that the Conservative voter base is 'considerably more to the right than we are'; maybe Patel's move is not so foolish, even if it threatens to destroy democracy in the country....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Lord help us ..

The lengths we'll go to in order to get a free holiday to Rwanda.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The best way the Tory Party could get rid of him quickly would be for them to agree to only one candidate putting their name forward. They would then be elected new leader immediately - and Johnson would have to go. The new leader could then announce that they are standing down to enable a proper / normal leader election process to take place.

That would outmanoeuvre him.

That's rather convoluted, because they could get round that by removing Johnson and his deputy stepping in in the interim period. Raab did that when Johnson had Covid. The general view in the party is that 'this particular ship has sailed', and we're stuck with him for however long the leadership contest lasts.
PS, also see my post below.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What we have now is the worst possible situation for both the Country and the Conservative Party and only benefits one individual. It is bit of a concern that even following the resignations of last two days, and with Johnson on his knees (insert joke here), they still can't actually remove him ???

Simplicity itself to remove him were it not for the dumb ****wits who have agreed to serve under him in his new "resignation government". The Tories are still propping up a Johnson led government. If the Tories really wanted rid of him they could have achieved it by refusing to serve under him. And there you have it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here