Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Does anyone know what qualifies Nadhim Zahawi to be chancellor? Rishi at least has a background in economics. Zahawi studied chemical engineering.

Seems to me if you're going to be, what amounts to, the most senior accountant in the country you should probably have some sort of financial background.

Besides being a very rich Tory git, of course.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
PMQ should be fun today :lolol:

“Today I have had meetings with ministers and others; later I shall be be having further such meetings. What? Oh - I have just been advised I don’t have any ministers left.”

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does anyone know what qualifies Nadhim Zahawi to be chancellor? Rishi at least has a background in economics. Zahawi studied chemical engineering.

Seems to me if you're going to be, what amounts to, the most senior accountant in the country you should probably have some sort of financial background.

I've always wondered that about governments.

"Congratulations on your election as an MP Stuart"
"Thank you Prime Minister"
"I would like you to be a member of my Cabinet. Now, Am I right you have a background in banking?"
"Yes. That's correct"
"Great. You are in charge of Education"

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Resignations have resumed this morning.

Laura Trott resigns as a PPS. Suspect there will be many more of these low-level resignations today. The "rebels" are openly talking up that they think they have a majority for a vote of no confidence - so all that's left now is either Boris resigns or the 1922 (either the current 1922, or the new one next week) changes the rules and a VoNC takes him out.

Are there any cabinet level ministers we've not heard from yet? I lost track yesterday!

The 8.10 interview on Today has become grimly fascinating. This morning Zahawi was just in the middle of a tearful "came here as an 11 year old who couldn't speak English, greatest country in the world" speech when he was interrupted with news of two further resignations.

At least it saved the follow up question I'd thought of which was "why, then, are you sending today's non English speakers off to Rwanda, which isn't".

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
“Today I have had meetings with ministers and others; later I shall be be having further such meetings. What? Oh - I have just been advised I don’t have any ministers left.”

I see the meeting of the new cabinet just got under way

Screenshot_20220706-090145_Chrome.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

He got his work cut us, inward investment is drying up.

How can anyone trust a government who lies at will and can't honour International treaties that are of its own creation

Capture.PNG

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
PMQ should be fun today :lolol:

What, Starmer asking questions that Boris evades, again?

This morning Kay Burley accused Starmer of failing in PMQs to hold the PM to account. So he looks weak while Boris avoids, lies and fudges. The whole thing is a charade and everyone loses, it is a demonstration of how low politics has sunk under this PM and totally depressing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

This morning Kay Burley accused Starmer of failing in PMQs to hold the PM to account. So he looks weak while Boris avoids, lies and fudges. The whole thing is a charade and everyone loses, it is a demonstration of how low politics has sunk under this PM and totally depressing.

Its very hard when someone makes zero attempt to answer questions and just produces irrelevant pre-prepared lines. The speaker should intervene, its turned into a joke

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He got his work cut us, inward investment is drying up.

How can anyone trust a government who lies at will and can't honour International treaties that are of its own creation

View attachment 149415

not sure why you keep bring up the exhange rate, which has far more to do with $ strength, market risk, interest rates. Euro has droped the same 13% in past 12mths.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

Isn't that the role of the speaker? Isn't he supposed to call out the person if they aren't answering the questions? Ah, it's that eternal wet-blanket Lindsay Hoyle... No chance there then.

I wonder how many times BoJo the Clown says "get on with the job" today?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Calling people stupid instead of engaging in civilized debate. Sums it up really. People such as yourself have driven many people away from the NSC political threads. I’m leaving this one.

Sorry, this is the internet equivalent of hiding in a fridge.

Either Brexit has been great, in which case you can easily rebut such posts with its many benefits, or you believe it will be great, so ditto, or we are no better off as a country in which case the expense and division caused by the referendum is criminally stupid, or we're worse off, in which case it's even more daft.

Surely you can see the difference between calling something a stupid idea and someone a stupid person, and defend an idea that you don't believe to be stupid with actual facts as to why? I always think, when I read such sulks, that the person posting them is regretting their vote tremendously but won't say so because they ended up on the "winning" side.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Its very hard when someone makes zero attempt to answer questions and just produces irrelevant pre-prepared lines. The speaker should intervene, its turned into a joke

Couldn't agree more. It either needs to be completely re-formed or ditched. It can't carry on as it is. Then again, there isn't much in this country that can carry on as it is, but I do recognise that isn't a message most want to hear, let alone act upon.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Have a look at this.

'Chris Pincher: How No 10 changed its story on what Boris Johnson knew'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/62048687

Be sure to read the very last sentence.

Yep, it's laughable isn't it? If he doesn't want others speaking on his behalf, he should stop sending them out to do the media rounds to speak on his behalf. Especially after having given them false information.

And what's he done this morning? Immediately sent Zahawi out on the media rounds to speak on his behalf...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Couldn't agree more. It either needs to be completely re-formed or ditched. It can't carry on as it is. Then again, there isn't much in this country that can carry on as it is, but I do recognise that isn't a message most want to hear, let alone act upon.

But PMQs is just a bit of political theatre and has never been the forum where straight answers are given to straight questions. Rather than a mechanism for holding the government to account, its more a test of how good a parliamentarian the PM is and how effective the Leader of the Opposition is. Jokes, quips and the attempt to pin labels on political opponents are expected. More tellingly. today the PM has to appear in front of the The Liaison Committee, which comprises all the chairs of select committees in the House of Commons. It will be a far lower profile and more sober encounter but one where the PM really will have to answer the questions put to him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here