[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Agree with all the above. I think the well worn phrase that everything Johnson touches becomes toxic has never been truer than this investigation. You get involved with Johnson on any level and you'll get shat on. You lay with dogs.....
Indeed.

Everything Johnson touches does become toxic.

We all await to see if Sue Gray's reputation withers away if she has any part in a Johnson whitewash of this sorry saga.

The Tories need to set themselves free by finally, finally ditching Johnson.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The pics recently published were from the 13th though, weren't they?

It’s the ‘come into contact with someone with Covid19’ bit. The reason we could not attend parties was to stop the spread of the virus. It’s not a good look to get pinged having just attended a big leaving do piss up during lockdown.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Here’s a sentence I never thought I would say, I actually feel sorry for Grant Shapps for being the token stooge wheeled out to try and defend Mr Johnson on breakfast television today.

Defending the indefensible is now something that we ARE world leading at!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Here’s a sentence I never thought I would say, I actually feel sorry for Grant Shapps for being the token stooge wheeled out to try and defend Mr Johnson on breakfast television today.

Shapps is the one they wheel out when no one else will defend the PM.

He said Johnson was "mortified" again this morning on Radio 4. Poor, inappropriate choice of words given the deaths from Covid but maybe deliberate.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I don't ...

What he should be saying is enough is enough, "I'm out, I can't go on like this defending the indefensible when our country went through so much pain"

Will just one of these nodding dogs just grow one and take a stand?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I would feel sorry for him if it weren't for the fact that he's put himself in this position. Every person in the cabinet is so tied to Johnson for their continued employment on the gravy train that it's going to take people outside of the cabal to make a stand and Shapps won't be one of those.

I don't like this iteration of the Tory party at all, but I like to hope against hope that there are some decent politicians in there somewhere. We won't find any in the cabinet though these days

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The other thing is that bunch of crooks and f*****g cowards in the cabinet know that the person who wields the dagger
never usually gets what they want: to be elected as the next PM. So they leave it,

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

violin.jpg

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I would feel sorry for him if it weren't for the fact that he's put himself in this position. Every person in the cabinet is so tied to Johnson for their continued employment on the gravy train that it's going to take people outside of the cabal to make a stand and Shapps won't be one of those.

I don't like this iteration of the Tory party at all, but I like to hope against hope that there are some decent politicians in there somewhere. We won't find any in the cabinet though these days

No one is going to wield the knife until they feel they are going to inherit something worthwhile. No politician with an eye for their future is going to step into the midst of a cost of living crisis. The current incumbents can ride it out, as they clearly no longer care (if they ever did).

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Good comment.

Apart from his superficial, self-deprecating, public-boy charm, Boris Johnson has an innate ability to drag everyone down to a level at/close to his own depths of depravity.

Not everyone whom the PM patronised with various promotions and other political baubles began public life without moral scruples; they just had to ditch them in desperate, craven support of a leader who thinks ethics is a place east of London......

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

[tweet]1529001637469118471[/tweet]

The actual video of it.

[tweet]1529019882423078913[/tweet]

Last edited:

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
No one is going to wield the knife until they feel they are going to inherit something worthwhile. No politician with an eye for their future is going to step into the midst of a cost of living crisis. The current incumbents can ride it out, as they clearly no longer care (if they ever did).

This, sadly, is very much where we are at currently. No one who has an ambition to be a future leader of the Tory party, and has any common sense whatsoever, will want to be stepping into the role now. I think for now there's two potential outcomes:

1. The Tories continue to chicken out of doing the right thing and Boris stays to lead them in the next GE. With any luck, the result of that GE sees him lose and at that point the sensible Tory leader wannabes step forward to lead the party in opposition.

2. The Tories realise that keeping Boris that long is too big a risk, but the genuine leadership hopefuls continue to not step forward. They oust Boris but replace him with a numpty puppet that they'll get rid of promptly as soon as things are looking better for them (or after losing the next GE). Truss perhaps.

Either way, I think we're in for a long road until the next GE and an opportunity for the voters to reset things.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Most of the cabinet know their ministerial will be over when Johnson goes, they're picked specifically because they are completely useless apart from the pure sycophantic loyalty

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
There is was no family mourning going on then

This was actually in the middle of Johnson's "lets the bodies pile high" period before he battled the experts to save Christmas, before sending the kids back to school for one day a week later..

[tweet]1529001637469118471[/tweet]

The actual video of it.

[tweet]1529019882423078913[/tweet]

There is was no family mourning going on then

This was actually in the middle of Johnson's "lets the bodies pile high" period before he battled the experts to save Christmas, before sending the kids back to school for one day a week later..

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1528999104881229829[/tweet]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For those that may be interested, there was a decent discussion on the Nicky Campbell show this morning about the law and partygate with 2 lawyers. From approx 11 mins in to 25 mins.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0017lwq

Nicky Campbell made a very good point of 'legalese wrigglease'. The lawyer mixed up a lot of examples even bringing in Starmer (which was a year later when the law was different) and also mixing in guidance and law.

The law was different in Durham because it was changed in 2021. False equivalence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports