Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Labour has taken command of Crawley in West Sussex. The council was previously under no overall control.

The authority was one of our top electoral battlegrounds to watch - with neither the Conservatives or Labour having a majority due to a single independent councillor.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Given the usual mid-term kicking that incumbent parties usually get, coupled with the absolute cluster**** that has been the government, I think Labour will probably be fairly disappointed with their performance. Results in the north and midlands would suggest that the Brexit issue is still coming into force at the ballot box. In my own area (Hartlepool pretty much), the Tories have gained councillors and are closer to the overall control of the council. Chatting to a few people in the pub last night, the issue of partygate etc hasn't really resonated up here. I appreciate this is wholly anecdotal, but from my discussions with friends and work colleagues up here, Starmer is less liked than Johnson.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Worthing a Labour gain.

When I was young, and they used to weigh the Tory votes here, this is a day I never thought I would see.

In my ward Labour took the seat from the Tories with nearly double the votes. That's not a defeat for the Tories, it's an almighty kicking.

May 6th 2022. The day Worthing turned red! :clap2::clap2:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Worthing a Labour gain.

When I was young, and they used to weigh the Tory votes here, this is a day I never thought I would see.
Me too, any Labour candidate would be certain of third place or worse. Let's hope they can try and repair the decades of Tory rule on the threadbare cash they get from the government

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Given the usual mid-term kicking that incumbent parties usually get, coupled with the absolute cluster**** that has been the government, I think Labour will probably be fairly disappointed with their performance. Results in the north and midlands would suggest that the Brexit issue is still coming into force at the ballot box. In my own area (Hartlepool pretty much), the Tories have gained councillors and are closer to the overall control of the council. Chatting to a few people in the pub last night, the issue of partygate etc hasn't really resonated up here. I appreciate this is wholly anecdotal, but from my discussions with friends and work colleagues up here, Starmer is less liked than Johnson.

Bearing in mind this was against the 2018 results which were good for Labour, I'm not sure this is right really. To date they have taken twice the number of seats as the Tories. That's actually quite impressive really.

Capturea.PNG

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I find the straw-clutching from the Tories and their apologists, really funny.

"Yes we may have lost a shitload of votes, but lots of them went to the LD rather than Labour so that's actually okay. Sort of."

I'd suggest quite the contrary. That a disaffected Tory voter lending their vote to Labour as a protest / kneejerk reaction, will ultimately hold their nose and dutifully vote for the proverbial pig-with-a-blue-rosette, when the GE comes round, through media-influenced paranoia of a COMMUNIST government.

The cuddly LibDems just don't hold that same fear factor. Votes lost to them (and the Greens) could be lost long term.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In my ward Labour took the seat from the Tories with nearly double the votes. That's not a defeat for the Tories, it's an almighty kicking.

May 6th 2022. The day Worthing turned red! :clap2::clap2:

It's a couple of pages back now, but the Rottingdean by-election was remarkable too.

[tweet]1522476246164197377[/tweet]

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe I should start a Labour meltdown thread:

You'd be a bit late - the Labour meltdown started back in 2010 when they chose the wrong brother to be their leader, subsequently replaced him with unelectable Corbyn, proceeded to have an ugly civil war and then lost the general electon by a massive margin to the frightful Boris Johnson.

Maybe, just maybe they are on the upturn again.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

It's fascinating to see what's happening to UK politics - former safe Tory seats in the South now becoming Labour, while swathes of former "working class" areas in the Midlands and North now firmly Tory. I'm baffled!

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

Labour have gained seats and control of councils in places that not even that long ago would have been unthinkable (eg Worthing)

I don't think they'll be disappointed at all

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
It's fascinating to see what's happening to UK politics - former safe Tory seats in the South now becoming Labour, while swathes of former "working class" areas in the Midlands and North now firmly Tory. I'm baffled!

it's very much changing isn't it. I do think that the divide isn't as clear cut as class. Our major cities have some of the most deprived areas in the country with large working class populations but are almost exclusively voting Labour, whereas smaller, (historically) working class towns with ageing populations have voted blue- and towns that surround cities (historically hardcore conservative) are seeing a move towards labour/lib dems and greens as young people begin to move from the city to the neighbouring towns due to cost

appears to me that the bigger divide in this country is by age than anything else

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Not so sure it is.

If found innocent, Starmer is on a winner, if it’s found he has a case to answer and he is fined, he then resigns , as a man of principal, and as he said he would, piling huge pressure on Johnson.

The only way I can see a downside for the Labour Party, is if Starmer refused to resign.

Under this scenario, Boris would be bricking it if Rayner then took leadership. From what I've seen, she rattles him more than Starmer does.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Labour have gained seats and control of councils in places that not even that long ago would have been unthinkable (eg Worthing)

I don't think they'll be disappointed at all

The tide has been shifting for a little while now. Shamelessly copying and pasting a post I made on the last General Election thread...

I really don't believe any vote is wasted now.

Here in Findon we come under East Worthing and Shoreham for some reason. You'd have always said that is Tory through and through. However, here's how the Labour share of the vote has changed over recent elections:

2010: 16.7%
2015: 19.5%
2017: 39.3%

If people thought "a vote for Labour is wasted" in those previous elections, and put their X somewhere else, then we wouldn't have the position we have today where Labour could have a real chance (if they had a leader of any merit anyway).​

Link: https://www.northstandchat.com/show...ction-Thread&p=9120045&viewfull=1#post9120045

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here