Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
lets try how would it promote social mobility? it just raises some more funds that government can sprinkle across services. taxes change behaviours and incentives, why wouldnt this one?
saying its merticocratic gives the game away really, this is intended to take generational wealth. comes at the cost of anyone that have worked hard and want to pass something along, you done well but the state takes it all. social mobility then occurs by compressing the range, not raising any one up.

By which of course you mean it'll be sprinkled into the pockets of MP's friends and family in the form of contracts they have no knowledge or expertise to fulfil, as demonstrated by the current incumbents

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Rishi Sunak was reportedly blocked from raising some benefits to help them keep pace with spiralling inflation as a result of out-of-date government IT systems.

The chancellor was said to have wanted to help those in receipt of welfare more in his spring statement, which set out measures to tackle the cost of living crisis, but was criticised for not going far enough to help the least well off.

The Times reported that Sunak considered doing so, but that the Treasury was told “you could only do it once a year and this was not the time of year that you could do it”.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Rishi Sunak was reportedly blocked from raising some benefits to help them keep pace with spiralling inflation as a result of out-of-date government IT systems.

The chancellor was said to have wanted to help those in receipt of welfare more in his spring statement, which set out measures to tackle the cost of living crisis, but was criticised for not going far enough to help the least well off.

The Times reported that Sunak considered doing so, but that the Treasury was told “you could only do it once a year and this was not the time of year that you could do it”.

As anyone who works in IT knows, this is utter horseshit. Any system can be changed if there's a will to do it.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
As anyone who works in IT knows, this is utter horseshit. Any system can be changed if there's a will to do it.

Especially if you've had 10 years to fix it... Apparently this only applies for those people who haven't yet been moved to Universal Credit and remain on the pre-2012 benefits - the UC system is more "modern / flexible" (it "only" takes a few weeks to update, as opposed to months).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Especially if you've had 10 years to fix it... Apparently this only applies for those people who haven't yet been moved to Universal Credit and remain on the pre-2012 benefits - the UC system is more "modern / flexible" (it "only" takes a few weeks to update, as opposed to months).

I bet if it were an IT tweak that helped their mates save some tax or something of that nature, it would miraculously be able to be done overnight.....

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Weeks?!

I work with databases containing billions, multiple billions, of records. Terabytes of data. And if I said it's going to take a week to get something updated I'm pretty sure I'd be sacked.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Weeks?!

I work with databases containing billions, multiple billions, of records. Terabytes of data. And if I said it's going to take a week to get something updated I'm pretty sure I'd be sacked.

public sector IT works to the Glacial Waterfall methodology. and the very fact anyone is still on a pre-UC system speaks to the problems in business processes around the IT.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Weeks?!

Preaching to the converted :p. I agree: even weeks is a disgrace in today's world. Given the amount to pay to benefits claimants is in reality nothing more than a configuration variable, it should be able to be updated the same day it gets approved to be changed. (Because all the complexity around how that variable actually translates into the final payment amount should already be handled - you're just changing the initial input value. I can understand it being weeks if they're actually changing the formulas).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Local Conservatives" apparently the wording on the ballot paper in Wandsworth...

..I'll confirm later.

They've registered it as an alternative name for the party.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"Local Conservatives" apparently the wording on the ballot paper in Wandsworth...

..I'll confirm later.

They've registered it as an alternative name for the party.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Analogous to "Labour Cooperative", I suppose.

(Not directly, I know, but in the sense that it feeds in to the main party)

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Local elections closed. Looking forward to seeing the results tomorrow....

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not at all confident about results but I did enjoy this tweet:- " I have lived a long time. Seen things you people wouldn’t believe etc. But it still blows my mind - actually blows it to pieces - that millions of people will go out today and vote Conservative"

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I'm not at all confident about results but I did enjoy this tweet:- " I have lived a long time. Seen things you people wouldn’t believe etc. But it still blows my mind - actually blows it to pieces - that millions of people will go out today and vote Conservative"
Turkey's voting for Christmas/silent majority.

Same as the Brexit vote!

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A Scottish Conservative source said the situation north of the border “is not looking good” and pointed the finger of blame at the prime minister, Boris Johnson.

They predicted “heavy losses” for the Tories in Scotland and insisted “it’s all down to partygate and Boris”. They added that those who would normally back them were “understandably, and rightly, angry” and had opted to stay home rather than vote.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I took my 90 year old Mum to vote today.
She can barely walk now, chronic arthritis and sciatica.
I said to her she should give it a miss this time as today her pain had been particularly bad, She insisted on going, says she would have crawled if it meant voting against”Johnson and his gang of thieves”.

Her words, not mine.
I also told her, this might be the last time she can vote, as she has no photo ID.

She then went into a rant about how it’s becoming more like Nazi Germany every day.

I felt quite proud of her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took my 90 year old Mum to vote today.
She can barely walk now, chronic arthritis and sciatica.
I said to her she should give it a miss this time as today her pain had been particularly bad, She insisted on going, says she would have crawled if it meant voting against”Johnson and his gang of thieves”.

Her words, not mine.
I also told her, this might be the last time she can vote, as she has no photo ID.

She then went into a rant about how it’s becoming more like Nazi Germany every day.

I felt quite proud of her.

:bowdown:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Analogous to "Labour Cooperative", I suppose.

(Not directly, I know, but in the sense that it feeds in to the main party)

I hope it isn't another 'Literal Democrat' scam by the tories :facepalm:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Telegraph’s Christopher Hope is predicting a Labour victory in Wandsworth tonight, citing a “local Labour source”. If that’s the case it would be the first time since 1974. Results are not expected until around 5 or 6am.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here