[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When you've got Carole Malone on Sky's press preview sticking the knife in, you know the tide has turned.

"Shocking sense of superiority that cuts to the bone."

Wow.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say he's toast. He won't be fighting the next election for the Conservative party..

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
When you've got Carole Malone on Sky's press preview sticking the knife in, you know the tide has turned.

"Shocking sense of superiority that cuts to the bone."

Wow.

I'm going to stick my neck out and say he's toast. He won't be fighting the next election for the Conservative party..

If something else comes out this week (which I believe will) he wont last much longer

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Chairman of the 1922 on NewsNight just now sticking the knife in too. No attempt to defend the PM. Johnson has obviously lost the parliamentary party. Things are spiralling completely out of control for him now and I agree he’s effectively finished.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Chairman of the 1922 on NewsNight just now sticking the knife in too. No attempt to defend the PM. Johnson has obviously lost the parliamentary party. Things are spiralling completely out of control for him now and I agree he’s effectively finished.

1922 wield the power. He’s a goner. Only a matter of time now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Yep, it's very difficult when your opponents are ideologically opposed. What is the line you hold ?

Pro-lockdown, anti-lockdown seemingly unified.

Toast.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
1922 wield the power. He’s a goner. Only a matter of time now.

I’m not so sure.

They’ll need a Heseltine to wield the knife.

Johnson is utterly ruthless when it comes to his career and ambition. He won’t be getting much sleep trying to work out who it would be. He has the ball and he’ll wipe out any potential opponent the same way he flattened a small child here:

https://youtu.be/IBt8AoLBCoo

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was at my son’s under 11s football training tonight and stood with the usual bunch of mums next to the 3G talking about the usual stuff (school / Covid / homework/ Christmas etc). We’ve never talked politics. Then out the blue, one of them said, “what do you think about all this Boris Johnson stuff?”

To a person, they all expressed utter contempt for him. No ‘oh that’s just Boris’ or ‘I haven’t really been following it’ etc. Just an overwhelming sense of being utterly fed up with him.

So when, as a Tory PM, you’ve lost the mums of somewhere like Saffron Walden, the writing really is on the wall.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was at my son’s under 11s football training tonight and stood with the usual bunch of mums next to the 3G talking about the usual stuff (school / Covid / homework/ Christmas etc). We’ve never talked politics. Then out the blue, one of them said, “what do you think about all this Boris Johnson stuff?”

To a person, they all expressed utter contempt for him. No ‘oh that’s just Boris’ or ‘I haven’t really been following it’ etc. Just an overwhelming sense of being utterly fed up with him.

So when, as a Tory PM, you’ve lost the mums of somewhere like Saffron Walden, the writing really is on the wall.

Karen off facebook must have turned as well then (or mumsnet). He’s toast.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m not so sure.

Johnson is utterly ruthless when it comes to his career and ambition.

I've read the past view years as somehow differently. Johnson hasn't been ruthless at all, he isn't capable of it. However others clearly have, knowing that Johnson can pull off an election win.

He was always going to binned off at some point

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That fifty grand bank loan he spunked on re-furbing the flat isn’t looking like a great investment right now, seeing as he’ll be handing back the keys before long.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That fifty grand bank loan he spunked on re-furbing the flat isn’t looking like a great investment right now, seeing as he’ll be handing back the keys before long.

His redundancy and pension will cover it….plus the after-dinner engagements from his Eton chums working in the City (oh Boris came and spoke at our annual dinner, he was sooooooooo funny, I do love him, said Lavinia from Finance), plus the autobiography, plus….plus…..plus…….

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Johnson hasn't been ruthless at all, he isn't capable of it.

It depends how you see ruthlessness.

For example, Johnson generally can’t afford to sack ministers because they have got too much on him. So they keep their jobs despite huge levels of incompetence, I see that as ruthless. Ruthless because he always puts his own interests ahead of the Country’s.

Another example would be his lying. He is a proud, profound and serial liar. For me, lying to the queen is ruthless.

And when it comes to the back stabber (Patel & Gove, I’m looking at you) who will eventually try to take him down through blind ambition but will actually just enable Rishi to take over, he is keeping his enemies very close. Close enough that he’ll be able to see when the blade is drawn and counter the action. We’ll see his ruthlessness then, I assure you.

You just don’t get this far in a political career with such awful judgement and leadership skills without being ruthless. He would stab anyone in the back (even his family) if it meant career progression.

The ruthlessness show’s itself in his decision making around his career, not his horrific running of the country (where he is clearly not ruthless).

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Boris has always been able to lie and charm his way out of problems, the trouble is as PM these events are more in the spotlight and build up over time. The public see he is an emperor without clothes and is running out of people to throw under the bus. His days are numbered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I’m not so sure.

The issue for many of his potential successors is that they may well be tainted too. All these parties at No 10 - which is where Sunak lives, not Johnson - mean that Dishy Rishi is not squeaky clean. And who was at these parties? Truss? Patel? Javid?

Gove seems to be keeping a very low profile but Hunt is completely out of it. If the Tories want someone who's not been caught up with any of the dodgy dealings, then Hunt could be who they want

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Boris has always been able to lie and charm his way out of problems, the trouble is as PM these events are more in the spotlight and build up over time. The public see he is an emperor without clothes and is running out of people to throw under the bus. His days are numbered.

Boris is currently standing next to the road with
Jack Doyle. One hand is on Jack’s head gripping his hair, the other is forcibly holding Jack’s twisted arm behind his back forcing it upwards when Jack struggles. Boris’ mouth is very close to Jack’s ear. He is gently whispering reassurances and compliments whilst breathing heavily.

Boris is waiting for a bus.

When the Bus comes, Jack will be flung beneath it wheels, his body will be crushed, broken and split as the heavy vehicle annihilates him. Without a hint of emotion, Boris will dust himself down and stroll back to No.10 with a new self assurance that he can see this one out.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Boris is currently standing next to the road with
Jack Doyle. One hand is on Jack’s head gripping his hair, the other is forcibly holding Jack’s twisted arm behind his back forcing it upwards when Jack struggles. Boris’ mouth is very close to Jack’s ear. He is gently whispering reassurances and compliments whilst breathing heavily.

Boris is waiting for a bus.

When the Bus comes, Jack will be flung beneath it wheels, his body will be crushed, broken and split as the heavy vehicle annihilates him. Without a hint of emotion, Boris will dust himself down and stroll back to No.10 with a new self assurance that he can see this one out.

I have no time for Johnson and believe he should be gone as soon as possible.

But so far as Jack Doyle is concerned, if, as deputy comms director, he instigated these parties- and now as director of comms is trying to spin that they didn’t happen / no rules were broken - he isn’t being thrown under the bus. He is being held to account for a gross error of judgement, possible illegality and lying that has caused huge offence in the country.

He (Jack Doyle) will be gone by Sunday so may as well walk now.

Dominic Cummings is like The Terminator. He absolutely won’t stop until he has got Boris and Carrie. The scalps of people like Stratton and Doyle along the way are probably just hugely satisfying trophies.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I have no time for Johnson and believe he should be gone as soon as possible.

But so far as Jack Doyle is concerned, if, as deputy comms director, he instigated these parties- and now as director of comms is trying to spin that they didn’t happen / no rules were broken - he isn’t being thrown under the bus. He is being held to account for a gross error of judgement, possible illegality and lying that has caused huge offence in the country.

He (Jack Doyle) will be gone by Sunday so may as well walk now.

Dominic Cummings is like The Terminator. He absolutely won’t stop until he has got Boris and Carrie. The scalps of people like Stratton and Doyle along the way are probably just hugely satisfying trophies.

Good post!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If, and it’s a big IF, this doesn’t blow over it could very well strip a lot of the rot out of government. However, we all know the inquiry will find “no case to answer” and the police are refusing to act. So Johnson will declare the matter over and never mention it again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports