Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I think you mean already followed unless Truss, Kwarteng, Patel, Sunak, Braverman etc was just some horrendous nightmare that we've still yet to wake up from.

The centre right are as far as they've ever been from getting their party back :shrug:
It will happen though.
The only way to win a General Election is really to stick to middle territory, Left or Right.
How long will it take? Well it depends on how successful Keir et al are when they form the next Government, how patient the electorate are with the Labour Government if they need more time to successfully do it their way, and finally, how long it takes for the Conservatives to regather, come to their senses under new blood and re-form as sensible centre rightists. My view is that it will probably take two terms in Opposition for the Tories to succeed in a General Election.

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just to add some context to the “everyone hates ULEZ” stuff

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Jeremy Hunt has blamed Brexit for more than half a decade of political instability that has undermined business investment in the UK, as he sought to defend tax cuts paid for by public sector austerity to drive up economic growth

The chancellor said the outcome of the 2016 EU referendum had led to “political chop and change”, before the Covid pandemic added to turbulence at the heart of government.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Jeremy Hunt has blamed Brexit for more than half a decade of political instability that has undermined business investment in the UK, as he sought to defend tax cuts paid for by public sector austerity to drive up economic growth

The chancellor said the outcome of the 2016 EU referendum had led to “political chop and change”, before the Covid pandemic added to turbulence at the heart of government.
- We have to do austerity because of the instability caused by the Brexit vote. The Brexit vote that followed six years of austerity. The Brexit vote that Cameron lost because of a backlash against the damage done by austerity. If the leeches and bleeding don't work, try more leeches and bleeding. George III's doctors are running our country.

Meanwhile Biden has the fastest growing economy in the world, perhaps because he's old enough to remember that Keynesian investment can dig a country out of hole.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
- We have to do austerity because of the instability caused by the Brexit vote. The Brexit vote that followed six years of austerity. The Brexit vote that Cameron lost because of a backlash against the damage done by austerity. If the leeches and bleeding don't work, try more leeches and bleeding. George III's doctors are running our country.

Meanwhile Biden has the fastest growing economy in the world, perhaps because he's old enough to remember that Keynesian investment can dig a country out of hole.
Yup. Some of us have been saying this for, ooo, about a decade but we were told we didn't understand economics

A1X

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A pre-cursor to means testing State pensions?

Would this have been at about the time everyone was being distracted by the Elgin Marbles, by chance?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Sunak ordered a 3 line whip to vote AGAINST people getting compo for being victims of a contaminated blood scandal. First of all - WTF? more intriguingly 23 of his MPs defied him, which means he will now struggle to get anything through parliament. Zombie government

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Sellafield, Europe’s most hazardous nuclear site, has a worsening leak from a huge silo of radioactive waste that could pose a risk to the public, the Guardian can reveal.

Concerns over safety at the crumbling building, as well as cracks in a reservoir of toxic sludge known as B30, have caused diplomatic tensions with countries including the US, Norway and Ireland, which fear Sellafield has failed to get a grip of the problems.

The leak of radioactive liquid from one of the “highest nuclear hazards in the UK” – a decaying building at the vast Cumbrian site known as the Magnox swarf storage Silo (MSSS) – is likely to continue to 2050. That could have “potentially significant consequences” if it gathers pace, risking contaminating groundwater, according to an official document.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sunak ordered a 3 line whip to vote AGAINST people getting compo for being victims of a contaminated blood scandal. First of all - WTF? more intriguingly 23 of his MPs defied him, which means he will now struggle to get anything through parliament. Zombie government

The Worthing MPs both among the 'rebels'.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Just to add some context to the “everyone hates ULEZ” stuff

Of course, the vast majority aren't against it in London. You've just got "a cake and eat it" minority in the suburbs (the ones who think they live in country / city depending on the day of the week) who are mostly too stupid to realise there car is probably compliant.

The local Tories are up to the same nonsense.

There is a very dangerous couple of local streets round here with mini roundabouts that everyone wants rid of and replaced by pedestrian crossings.

It's a no brainer.

They stuck a letter through my door last week asking me to complain because 1) I hadn't been consulted 2) It would increase traffic on my road.

It's complete bullshit, they are desperate.

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
It's still going to be meltdowntastic when that sociopathic **** baffoon gives his carefully prepared response to the covid enquiry.

Everyone else will be to blame.
I wonder how often he'll parrot the "We got all the big decisions right" line during a hearing talking about how, on balance, he and his government got all the big decisions wrong?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
When Worthing MP's are getting spooked, the tories must know they have problems

I am as anti-Tory as they come but actually don't mind my MP, Peter Bottomley (West Worthing). As Tory MP's go he's alright (still won't vote for him of course).

Dealt with Tim Loughton a bit for work and he is an utter prick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills