Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Torres - Simple Question, why?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I used to love watching Torres play, for about 2 years at Atletico and Liverpool he was probably the best out and out striker in the world.

I actually find it quite sad watching him these days, he looks half the player he was and he looks so miserable on the pitch. I think the best move for him would be back to Atletico now where he would be loved again.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Chelsea are always breaking strikers.

Fleck, Sutton, Shevchenko, Torres. All big-money flops. The long shadow of Kerry Dixon cast them all unto the darkness.

I tell you what, it's not often you hear Fernando Torres and Robert Fleck mentioned in the same breath.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I tell you what, it's not often you hear Fernando Torres and Robert Fleck mentioned in the same breath.

It was certainly a first for me.

Who'd have thunk it 18 months ago. Torres would possibly have had grounds to sue.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
I sometimes wonder if the brilliant season he had for Liverpool was the fluke, and that he's actually just an average striker who hit an incredible run of form but has now reverted 'back to the mean'.

Was he that good at Atletico (genuine question, I never watched Spanish footie)? His goal record there looks decent but not spectacular (82 in 214 apps)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I read that first as Fernando Torres and Roberta Flack.

Probably would have made a more potent strike force. Could have killed off any opposition, softly.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We should offer to have him on loan for 10 games and promise to play him so he can get his confidence back

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I sometimes wonder if the brilliant season he had for Liverpool was the fluke, and that he's actually just an average striker who hit an incredible run of form but has now reverted 'back to the mean'.

Was he that good at Atletico (genuine question, I never watched Spanish footie)? His goal record there looks decent but not spectacular (82 in 214 apps)

He was brilliant for Atletico. He was very young when he played a lot of those early games and many would have been as sub so a goal every 2 and a half games at that age was a superb record. Made captain there at a very young age also.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
He was so good at Atletico and Liverpool as he was the main man in a team who broke fast against better teams or slowly built up holding the ball against weaker teams and bringing whole squad forward as a unit. He's kind of CMS style solo striker rather than hold up target man or poacher type. Chelsea don't play his way and he wouldn't fit a Real/Barca, ManU/Chelsea type club where the individual talent is more important than working as a unit.

Twizzle

Aug 12, 2010
My theory is that when it became all about money and not the club of his choice, his football went out the window with the loyalty.
Rooney obviously still scores goals, but his real talent was left on the Everton pitch.
He puts himself about and scores occasional blinders, but Rooney had passion for Everton, not United.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What's a Chelski fan doing on NSC?

Pundits, fellow pros, hacks, and AVB with his receent team selections, all indicate that the last 11 months has been a waste of £50m so far, with the occasional slightly better game.

A shadow of the striker who terrorised for Spain & LFC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My theory is that when it became all about money and not the club of his choice, his football went out the window with the loyalty.
Rooney obviously still scores goals, but his real talent was left on the Everton pitch.
He puts himself about and scores occasional blinders, but Rooney had passion for Everton, not United.

And Rooney has indicated, that he wants to return there one day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Genuinely though; History does not a massive club equal. Otherwise, Notts County are massive for being the World's oldest club or whatever.

Notts County - 5 times Champions of Europe, including just 6 years ago? Stack of tropies in the 21st Century? No.

There's only a tiny amount of trophies to go around, and if Man City, Barca & ManU mop up, does that make LFC, Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid ... NOT massive clubs?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here