Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Torn rotator cuff - surgery, rehab etc

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I managed to tear the rotator cuff on my right shoulder whilst skiing. It is a fairly large tear and will most probaby require surgery. I will have another check up in 3 weeks to see if any healing has taken place. I was wondering if any of the good folk of NSC have had this particular injury and what their experiences of surgery, rehab etc were like. I would be interested to hear about how soon you were able to go back to work, how soon you were able to do any exercise / gym training, if there were any alternatives to surgery etc. I've done a bit of research on the net and there is a lot of contradictory information, and my doctor has given me quite a bit of info.

Thanks

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Similar here 2006. Fractured Humerus and torn Rotator cuff. Even blinking your eyes hurts. Mine wasn't sewn just imobilised, so I don't know how bad the tear was in comparison to yours.
Think it was about 4-6 weeks before I even looked at working again one armed. It was suggested I would only get 75% of movement back, but thanks to the Physiotherapist at Southampton General and a big rubber band, which went on for about 3 months, I now cannot notice any difference from before.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
My wife had an operation for this about 6 months ago, 6 weeks immobilised in a sling (no movement, no driving etc) followed by 6 weeks physio and about 4-5 months total to get back to gym etc

Geriatric Seagull

Nov 10, 2009
Littlehampton
Had mine re-attached about three years ago. Started rehab with very gentle exercising then physio for six months. Great fun after the op trying to sleep sitting up with one arm in a sling for about a month! No golf for about ten months after the op. Don't think my shoulder will ever be 100% again but play golf regularly and no major restrictions to any activity. Good luck

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks for your replies - very helpful

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have problems in both shoulders with rotator cuff.

I regularily have cortisone injections which last around 6 months, but still have to be careful. As you get older, your joints furr up and the operation is to scrape the bones so that the tendons do not catch...the pain you get is down your arms where the tendon catches.

With me it's cricket that did it...years of throwing and bowling a ball!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here