Tories plan to legalise parking on double yellow lines

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
so all that money I sunk into a tow-away truck has gone down the Swanny then:lolol:

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
That's CERTAINLY not the case any more in Lewes, as far as regular visitors to the town are concerned. Most of us now know where to park and go straight there - no longer driving around hopefully looking out for somewhere free and clogging up the streets as we do so. The few short-term spaces (on School Hill for example) are also much easier to get into, now that the time limits are properly enforced.

From the point of view of those of us who live around Lewes and use it as the "market town" it's supposed to be, the parking scheme is, frankly, much, much better than what went before. And shopping is much more pleasant.

I can agree with that. What's more I never pay for parking in Lewes. Brighton on the other hand is a nightmare and as a consequence i don't visit that often.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
The high street is dead. Not because of parking but because it's cheaper and easier to shop online or go to a superstore and get everything at once.

The future for high streets is entertainment, not shopping. And by that I mean bars, restaurants etc.

Wake up and smell the mustard people. This isn't the 1960's and no one wants to buy bread from the baker and meat from the butcher.

Really? Lewes was rather busy last year when I visited - what were all those people doing there? Laughing at everyone cos they bought something cheaper on Amazon?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Almost certainly another back of an envelope discussion point that will be quietly shelved when the discussions get serious and people realise just how badly towns could snarl up.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think the problem is more with the single lines. If you mess with the doubles people will just start parking on main roads, they need to re-evaluate whether double lines are really needed in town centres rather than change the meaning of them.

Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath town centres both have areas where it's perfectly safe to park and doesn't block any traffic but in the daytime when single line restrictions apply you have wardens pouncing on every car.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I'm all in favour of people being allowed to park for a few minutes outside High Street shops providing it's not dangerous and doesn't cause serious delays to passing traffic.

..which is pretty much the criteria for double-yellow lines. If double yellows don't meet this then they should be removed, but it is utter madness (and counter-productive as it will clog up the roads) to allow indiscriminate parking on them.

PG

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That's CERTAINLY not the case any more in Lewes, as far as regular visitors to the town are concerned. Most of us now know where to park and go straight there - no longer driving around hopefully looking out for somewhere free and clogging up the streets as we do so. The few short-term spaces (on School Hill for example) are also much easier to get into, now that the time limits are properly enforced.

From the point of view of those of us who live around Lewes and use it as the "market town" it's supposed to be, the parking scheme is, frankly, much, much better than what went before. And shopping is much more pleasant.

Yeah parking in Lewes is easy and cheap, and you get minimal traffic through the town

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports