Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tories lose overall control of Worthing Council for the first time in 2 decades...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good post and how I see it.

Despite furlough and the cost, people continually want more and (sadly) it seems to be the society we now live in. The debt and impact will be here for ages, and there wasn’t a lot left when labour last left office….. (it’s worse now).

As for Starmer, agree entirely, should have enough credit for two terms at least….
Will be really interesting to see what he does, as when he’s elected standing still won’t be an option.

That’s how see it too :) .

Unlike many posters here, I actually want ALL governments to succeed, the economy at the heart of that.

These things go in cycles, it’s Labour’s turn.

It won’t be easy. In government there’ll be sniping from the Abbott’s and Corbyn’s wanting Starmer to crash and burn. There’ll be scandals with ministers forced out. Was always the way.

I’m interested in how Labour will run the economy, tax changes, what tangibly will happen for ALL the folk using food banks.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Good post and how I see it.

Despite furlough and the cost, people continually want more and (sadly) it seems to be the society we now live in. The debt and impact will be here for ages, and there wasn’t a lot left when labour last left office….. (it’s worse now).

As for Starmer, agree entirely, should have enough credit for two terms at least….
Will be really interesting to see what he does, as when he’s elected standing still won’t be an option.
Haven’t we seen it all before with President Blair in 1997?

I genuinely, with two small children and a mortgage, thought here was someone who could change my life and that of the whole nations for the better. But he didn’t……

Hopefully Sir Kier and co will learn from the past and move forward?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

I genuinely, with two small children and a mortgage, thought here was someone who could change my life and that of the whole nations for the better. But he didn’t……

Well exactly and that’s the point.

Sir Kier? Let’s see.

If you can name a single idea that Starmer has you’ll be doing better than 99% of the British public. All he has at the moment is “not a Tory” and that doesn’t get you very far

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

what could blair have done for you and yours that he didn't?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Precisely. If all you're talking about is money in your pocket then you're always going to vote conservative for the supposed tax cuts. If you're talking about society then labour invested in new hospitals, new schools, Sure Start etc etc. What did for Labour was a global financial crash which Brown did extremely well to navigate through without major banks (other than northern rock) collapsing.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
If you can name a single idea that Starmer has you’ll be doing better than 99% of the British public. All he has at the moment is “not a Tory” and that doesn’t get you very far
Being " not a Tory" is a bloody good start. As for for the rest of your statement get your head out of the sand and read some of Labours policies on the environment, policing and Council tax - you might actually learn something.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
There are, and I have absolutely no idea, but off the top of my head…..

Give it a good clean for starters, it always feels dirty these days.
Try to encourage bigger shops to the town.
Reduce parking charges significantly.

At night, there is an uneasy air about the place. I think all of the building infilling, cheaper housing and people moving in from elsewhere has lowered the age demographic which has eased middle aged to older people out. That may be considered good or bad, but having lived in the area all my life the standards are significantly lower than previous…

Not a great answer, but how I feel 😃
Interesting. I grew up in Worthing 20-25 years ago and it was pretty dire then - basically a crumbling retirement home with a smattering of chavs. I don't live there now, but from my 2-3 visits a year it seems to be have improved considerably - plenty of decent independent pubs and restaurants now for a start.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Well ’not Corbyn’ went along way to getting this shower of shite in, added to that half the country voted to leave the EU without a clue of what it actually meant, so I beg to differ. Let’s face it how can it be any worse.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Fair question.

Not just for my children but for their generation in general……

Eradicated poverty, specifically child poverty.

How many kids will go to school, in 21st century Britain, on Tuesday hungry?

We have more people using food banks in the UK than ever before 🤷‍♂️

Actually tackled racism and real injustice?

It was only 4 years after when he took power, but Stephen Lawrence should have been this countries ‘George Floyd’ figure, yet 30 years on three of his alleged killers have never been brought to justice, and our capital cities Police force is still reported to be institutionally racist.

The care system, we still live in a society where people work hard all of their lives, pay into the system via tax and national insurance, yet many have to sell their houses to fund their care costs, whilst the super rich and the larger companies seem to go through life not paying their real dues. (Which in Blair‘s defence they seem to do with all governments, even when this very nice people the Dim Libs were in power)

Again not just Blair but the system, that **** Sir Phillip Green has appeared to get away almost Scot free for what he did to the staff of BHS and the pension fund.

The wrong doers just don’t seem to be accountable, even in a perceived ‘civilised and fair society’?

Rant over 😂, Roger this is a football forum, and we both share a love for the Albion, so let’s agree to differ and park this, and both look forward to Europe ⚽❤️

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Interesting. I grew up in Worthing 20-25 years ago and it was pretty dire then - basically a crumbling retirement home with a smattering of chavs. I don't live there now, but from my 2-3 visits a year it seems to be have improved considerably - plenty of decent independent pubs and restaurants now for a start.
Debatable.

2 or 3 decent restaurants I would argue. 😃

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Debatable.

2 or 3 decent restaurants I would argue. 😃
Sorry Ted, but it is Sunday. 😂

As much as it’s maligned in certain quarters, Worthing still has a lot to be positive about.

There’s always room for improvement naturally, but now Beccy Cooper and her Labour Party have a clear mandate from the people it will be interesting to see what they do.

FWIW my perceived mistakes in Worthing’s history.

In 1967 a Texan company wanted to put a glass room on Montague Street, from WH Smiths to Scadgells, because as quoted at the meeting, “in 30years everyone will shop indoors’.

The Texan‘s were putting 50% of the cost up, the local traders and the Council had to match it, they didn’t.

The Aquarena built in 1968 should have also been a conference centre, clearly not for the Political Party stuff, but for the next level down, we had the bed space, over 40 hotels and in excess of 50 b and bs back then.

Tescos should not have been allowed to build the Durrington Store in 1981, instead the Council should have compulsory purchased th entire Guildbourne Centre and then let Tesco move Into it, food downstairs, homenwear upstairs and exclusive use of the multi-storey car park.

Having a superstore smack bang in the middle of the town brings people in, who in turn use others shops.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Fair question.

Not just for my children but for their generation in general……

Eradicated poverty, specifically child poverty.

How many kids will go to school, in 21st century Britain, on Tuesday hungry?

Actually tackled racism and real injustice?

It was only 4 years after when he took power, but Stephen Lawrence should have been this countries ‘George Floyd’ figure, yet 30 years on three of his alleged killers have never been brought to justice, and our capital cities Police force is still reported to be institutionally racist.

The care system, we still live in a society where people work hard all of their lives, pay into the system via tax and national insurance, yet many have to sell their houses to fund their care costs, whilst the super rich and the larger companies seem to go through life not paying their real dues. (Which in Blair‘s defence they seem to do with all governments, even when this very nice people the Dim Libs were in power)

Again not just Blair but the system, that **** Sir Phillip Green has appeared to get away almost Scot free for what he did to the staff of BHS and the pension fund.

The wrong doers just don’t seem to be accountable, even in a perceived ‘civilised and fair society’?

Rant over 😂, Roger this is a football forum, and we both share a love for the Albion, so let’s agree to differ and park this, and both look forward to Europe ⚽❤️
The problem is everything you have mentioned will cost money and one of the biggest issues with British politics is the electorate do not like paying tax.

To discuss one point. You mention “many have to sell their houses to fund their care costs”, this doesn’t happen here as part of the 14% we pay for healthcare (7% employer, 7% employee) caters for your old age care. Can you imagine if Labour, Tory or whoever said we want a first class care system but it wil cost 14%? It will never happen

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The problem is everything you have mentioned will cost money and one of the biggest issues with British politics is the electorate do not like paying tax.

To discuss one point. You mention “many have to sell their houses to fund their care costs”, this doesn’t happen here as part of the 14% we pay for healthcare (7% employer, 7% employee) caters for your old age care. Can you imagine if Labour, Tory or whoever said we want a first class care system but it wil cost 14%? It will never happen
There’s a great theory that we and the Yanks may have won WW2, but Japan and Germany ‘won’ the peace.

We could learn so much from other countries.

Re the tax issue, though I doubt it would ever happen but if a party, any party, actually stated what the extra 1p or 2p in the pound tax would go towards, maybe people wouldn’t mind paying more tax?

I’d imagine things will get better when the NHS gets the extra weekly funding the Brexiteers promised at the time of the referendum 😂

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I agree with the general point that nobody should have to use a foodbank but when Brown left office ~40k in the UK were using foodbanks. It's up to almost ~3m now.

That said: 40k people needing charity to eat is 40k people too many and not getting that number to zero has been a failure of successive governments. With this last decade and a bit of Tory power being the primary culprit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There’s a great theory that we and the Yanks may have won WW2, but Japan and Germany ‘won’ the peace.

Re the tax issue, though I doubt it would ever happen but if a party, any party, actually stated what the extra 1p or 2p in the pound tax would go towards, maybe people wouldn’t mind paying more tax?

I’d imagine things will get better when the NHS gets the extra weekly funding the Brexiteers promised at the time of the referendum 😂
Tories did that just last year remember? 1.25% on NI ring-fenced for social care. everyone piled in against it. LibDems for years campaigned on 2p Income Tax rise ring-fenced for health, got them no where. general public don't want to pay for the services but still demand them.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Blimey. How many posh seats at the Amex and trips to Vegas do you want?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

You need to be careful when you start losing all memory of what you've done at our age Lenny :wink:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

You make a good point. I do feel it will be an easier sell if healthcare was taken out of the general income tax pot and ring-fenced. Over here it's further broken down so you know what portion goes to your health now and your care in old age. Something I learnt recently is that certain elements of health care, mainly rehabilition based stuff, which is actually paid for by your pension. So we actually pay over 14% as there's a chunk covered by other means.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You need to be careful when you start losing all memory of what you've done at our age Lenny :wink:
Voted to stay old love.

Can only do 90 days out of 180 days in Espanol or Europe in general (Thanks Nigel Farage 🙈)

Clearly at this stage I won’t do that, but on the Costa De Sol, they used to call them ‘Swallows‘ it was predominantly Brits in the 60 plus age bracket who would come down here between November and March, all gone for the time being until the UK and Spanish Govts come to some kind of agreement, but until then a number of local businesses are clearly suffering until the summer season kicks in.

That fateful night in 2016 has had long term consequences 🤷‍♂️

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here