Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories lose Chesham and Amersham

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Excellent news for democracy. This Tory cabinet have been to complacent for to long. I suspect a lot of it has to do with HS2, more alarming is the fact that over 600 hundred people in Amersham and Chesham voted for the anti Semitic Labour Party.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unfortunately over 13,000 voted for the Islamophobic Tories.

PS: I'm not suggesting that the Tory voters of Chesham & Amersham are Islamophobic....

theboybilly

I keep saying this.

Anywhere with a majority of educated people are going to turn on this Government. Educated Brexiteers have acknowledged the win and moved on. Your church wardens, your WI leaders, the pillars of leafy suburban and rural England are sick of Johnson & co. They are smart enough to see how astonishingly incompetent this lot are. They are not drunk on the nationalism, the bias levelling-up, the anti-immigration or anti-identity politics spouted by this awful cabinet.

The Tories have lost the Times, Daily Mail & Telegraph readers but Sun readers will remain loyal.

The next election is ON! I can now see a Lib-Dem-Labour coalition which I believe would be the best outcome for the Country.

The Blue wall in the south will be demolished!

Fantastic result!

If you truly believe that I despair for my country

D

Deleted member 2719

So you are happy to be tagged as a misogynist and so play up to that label?

When you post and support tories on a leftie forum, you get the insults and stereotyping, most believe that shite.
I have been happily married for over 20 years, love banter and those that know me will know most stuff is tongue in cheek.

Can you cheer up now please???

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
When you post and support tories on a leftie forum, you get the insults and stereotyping, most believe that shite.
I have been happily married for over 20 years, love banter and those that know me will know most stuff is tongue in cheek.

Can you cheer up now please???
No, when you post misogynist nonsense, sometimes people point that out in the hope that you might reappraise your sexist attitudes.

But as long you're married as it's just banter, that's OK.

Tits! Ha ha ha ha ha. She's got tits! ha ha ha ha.

Better?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I have read on this thread lots of reasons for the result that people would like to be true. Perhaps the truth is a little more mundane and self interested ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inew...l-suicide-boris-johnson-is-warned-1060884/amp

I heard about these changes last year from a neighbour who spent his career as a planning officer. These prospective rule changes are a big deal, particularly in the rural south with its high land values.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have read on this thread lots of reasons for the result that people would like to be true. Perhaps the truth is a little more mundane and self interested ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/inew...l-suicide-boris-johnson-is-warned-1060884/amp

I heard about these changes last year from a neighbour who spent his career as a planning officer. These prospective rule changes are a big deal, particularly in the rural south with its high land values.

The Tories still need to be careful they don't bite the hand that feeds them. If they lose the moneyed NIMBY vote with planning changes and HS2 and manage to alienate their socially liberal remainer wing by cosying up to the alt right, that only leaves the Brexity red wall. What happens when these people inevitably find out they've been lied to and they're now expected to do the jobs of the people they've driven out.

Boris, like Trump, has gambled on sticking a load of iffy policies for his followers on the back of "post truth". The public's reaction to GB News and the Cummings revelations seems to suggest that actually the public in Britain still favour a bit of honesty.

tl;dr? Who is going to vote Tory up North now that Brexit is "done"?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Indeed, the Lib Dems mounted a big ground operation mainly focusing on local planning issues. This wasn't a beacon of light for the forces of (self) righteous, progressive Liberal lefties finally fighting back against the evil facsistic brexity forces of darkness and gullible thickies .... more a Nimby backlash.

Great fun reading the usual delusional guff though [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The Tories still need to be careful they don't bite the hand that feeds them. If they lose the moneyed NIMBY vote with planning changes and HS2 and manage to alienate their socially liberal remainer wing by cosying up to the alt right, that only leaves the Brexity red wall. What happens when these people inevitably find out they've been lied to and they're now expected to do the jobs of the people they've driven out.

Boris, like Trump, has gambled on sticking a load of iffy policies for his followers on the back of "post truth". The public's reaction to GB News and the Cummings revelations seems to suggest that actually the public in Britain still favour a bit of honesty.

tl;dr? Who is going to vote Tory up North now that Brexit is "done"?

All parties are looking for that magic formula that delivers an alliance of different interests, values and beliefs. I agree that alienating the core vote is a mistake and it’s a surprising one for the Tories to make. The other parties are still making the mistake of thinking everyone has been ‘lied to’ and somehow it will all go their way without them having to tilt towards the electorate. It won’t.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

They’ve probably read about planning permission refused by Swale council in Kent, several times until Robert Jenrik waded in.
https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/new...00-home-scheme-despite-climate-concerns-70572

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if voters are voting against easing of planning law, they better pipe down about housing for their families and key workers. we cannot solve the problem of housing without thousands of new homes in every district.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Just a point on the stuff about coalitions, I personally would argue that both Tory and Labour parties are already, in themselves, "coalitions". These factions have become increasingly obvious in recent years but it's hard to see a party which unites (e.g.) Peter Bone and Rory Stewart as anything other than a coalition to capitalise electorally (and the same can be said of Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn). It's unusual at the moment to have one party (the Conservatives) so dominated by one wing and way of thinking (probably only matched in recent times by the New Labour years). It's likely that in the event of PR there would cease to be these two parties and they'd split into 2-3 different ones, so we could still have a "Tory" Government but combining (e.g.) Continuity UKIP, The Rich Country Set party, the Economic Conservative party and the Curtain-twitching Daily Mail party.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Just a point on the stuff about coalitions, I personally would argue that both Tory and Labour parties are already, in themselves, "coalitions". These factions have become increasingly obvious in recent years but it's hard to see a party which unites (e.g.) Peter Bone and Rory Stewart as anything other than a coalition to capitalise electorally (and the same can be said of Tony Blair and Jeremy Corbyn). It's unusual at the moment to have one party (the Conservatives) so dominated by one wing and way of thinking (probably only matched in recent times by the New Labour years). It's likely that in the event of PR there would cease to be these two parties and they'd split into 2-3 different ones, so we could still have a "Tory" Government but combining (e.g.) Continuity UKIP, The Rich Country Set party, the Economic Conservative party and the Curtain-twitching Daily Mail party.
Yes - FPTP means that successful parties have to be coalitions. As they get larger, those coalitions tend to become more strained and have bouts of in-party fighting.

Labour have been doing it for a few years now, while the Conservatives threw out many of their pro-EU MPs before the last election. Even the Lib Dems would suffer if they won enough elections: becoming the party of less house-building locally and more nationally works less well as you increase appeal - and they also retain the west-English vote, but are now also getting the Surrey vote. Those two constituencies may not agree.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
if voters are voting against easing of planning law, they better pipe down about housing for their families and key workers. we cannot solve the problem of housing without thousands of new homes in every district.

Not all planning permissions are for homes. Look at the huge lorry park built at Ashford.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Not all planning permissions are for homes. Look at the huge lorry park built at Ashford.

same applies. if people want infrastructure they need to accept infrastructure is built. locals complained about roads getting clogged up, a lorry park provided, then complain about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here