Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tories lose Chesham and Amersham

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Hmm,

Tory voters pissed off with how the Tories have been doing via the COVID issue send out a protest vote at a by-election?

Back to Boris when it matters?

We shall see...

There are alot of decent, sane, moderate Tory voters out there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This result backs up what I've been saying for a long time - Labour and Lib Dem need to merge.

There is zero chance of defeating the Tories if the left is split, while Labour are too left for the mainstream voter. Labour voted tactically for the Lib Dems here but there is no chance of that tactical voting happening on a national scale.

Personally, I think this would be a terrible idea.

A formal coalition between the two parties, would for me, garner a lot more votes than a merged party. Any new merged party would be painted in the media as Labour, in all but name, and swathes of existing LibDem voters would run a mile.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

That's a good point, and I say that as someone who has never voted Tory.

Politics works best when you can point to people on the different side of the argument to your own and still admire their integrity and honesty, or perhaps their hard work for their constituents or their country.

The current bunch of Conservatives are pretty unsavoury even to people like Heseltine, Clarke, Major et al. They've basically just become UKIP.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Millions and millions.

Folk who value competence, honesty, transparency, loyalty, partnerships etc.

I’m not sure the “priced-in’ qualities of the PM and his Government will hold with middle England come the next election if the opposition can organise effectively like they did in this by-election.

Hyacinth Bucket held her nose to vote for Johnson last time, I very much doubt she’ll do it again after the incompetence that has led to thousands of excess deaths in the pandemic allied to the lies and chaos that characterise any Johnson administration.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I haven't seen any of the news this morning but I assume the airwaves are full of journalists in Chesham & Amersham vox-popping locals like crazy and discussing how this is bad news for the future of the Tory party and they need to do more to recapture the "blue wall" and those voters who they've lost touch with?

I mean, surely this is being treated exactly the same as Hartlepool, right?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Not surprised.

All the more affluent towns are turning libdem round here. Countryside still incredibly robust conservative though

Truth is, lib dem councillors are working and campaigning incredibly hard. Conservatives are complacent.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Millions and millions.

Folk who value competence, honesty, transparency, loyalty, partnerships etc.

I’m not sure the “priced-in’ qualities of the PM and his Government will hold with middle England come the next election if the opposition can organise effectively like they did in this by-election.

Hyacinth Bucket held her nose to vote for Johnson last time, I very much doubt she’ll do it again after the incompetence that has led to thousands of excess deaths in the pandemic allied to the lies and chaos that characterise any Johnson administration.

The uncomfortable question for Tory party members is how many ten of thousands of people would still be alive if Jeremy Hunt or Rory Stewart had won the election? (they didn't need Bojo to beat JC)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Personally, I think this would be a terrible idea.

A formal coalition between the two parties, would for me, garner a lot more votes than a merged party. Any new merged party would be painted in the media as Labour, in all but name, and swathes of existing LibDem voters would run a mile.

Politics has to move on. Even the names 'Labour' and 'Liberal' are rooted in the past. Look at the USA. Imagine if they had 2 parties on the left - the Republicans would walk every election.

If the Democrat Party can win multiple terms in what is the most freedom-loving democracy on earth then there is hope for a single left of centre party in the UK.

The path towards a merger is debatable and maybe a coalition at the start is the way to go, an agreement to field only one candidate per seat could work but it is also fraught with risk as there is no central ethos to the coalition, it would be purely anti-Tory agenda which is intrinsically negative.

I speak as a card-carrying member of the Liberal Party and would welcome the opportunity to vote for such a new party - my vote might actually count for something for the first time in my life (I am 52)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Politics has to move on. Even the names 'Labour' and 'Liberal' are rooted in the past. Look at the USA. Imagine if they had 2 parties on the left - the Republicans would walk every election.

If the Democrat Party can win multiple terms in what is the most freedom-loving democracy on earth then there is hope for a single left of centre party in the UK.

The path towards a merger is debatable and maybe a coalition at the start is the way to go, an agreement to field only one candidate per seat could work but it is also fraught with risk as there is no central ethos to the coalition, it would be purely anti-Tory agenda which is intrinsically negative.

I speak as a card-carrying member of the Liberal Party and would welcome the opportunity to vote for such a new party - my vote might actually count for something for the first time in my life (I am 52)

Or far simpler, drag Britain into the 21st century, reflect how democracy works in the vast majority of the world, make parliament reflect the actual votes across the UK and do away with FPTP.

Could a government like this have got into such a powerful position on such a share of the vote anyway other than under FPTP ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Politics has to move on - but the Tory paymasters of our tame media would not allow it to work. Voting for NewLabLibs would be painted as the road to collective farms and gulags. It is naïve to imagine any different.

I speak as a 'Labour voter' who has ACTUALLY not voted for the party of my choice for two decades, due to the only realistic non-Tory vote in my constituency, being for the Yellow team. Where I live, those who DID vote Labour, elected the Tory. The two parties simply have to get their act together and cut a deal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Marvellous. A huge swing and a big loss for the Tory’s. If this is a sign of rumblings in the Tory strongholds, the tide could be turning. But let’s not forget, the Tory’s are only in power because of our electoral system, the majority of the U.K. don’t want them in power.

Beautiful to see the Tory’s on here getting pissy and churning out their excuses too. A win/win.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The USA is unusual in having only two parties. Many countries have PR and have coalition governments all the time. Labour have far more in common with the Greens than they do with the LibDems.
To get PR, we need to vote tactically to get this vast majority down first. I know we had a vote back in 2013(?) but that was for Alternative Votes as opposed to PR.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Marvellous. A huge swing and a big loss for the Tory’s. If this is a sign of rumblings in the Tory strongholds, the tide could be turning. But let’s not forget, the Tory’s are only in power because of our electoral system, the majority of the U.K. don’t want them in power.

Beautiful to see the Tory’s on here getting pissy and churning out their excuses too. A win/win.

I agree its great that the Government lost this seat but a majority of the country don't want any party in power

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I know we had a vote back in 2013(?) but that was for Alternative Votes as opposed to PR.

Yes another missed opportunity by the Lib Dems in 2010 who basically ended up selling out on their bedrock policy totems, PR, Tuition fees and the EU.

I was not a fan of the AV system but I voted for it anyway in preference to FPTP, but it was a rubbish referendum that merely held the beer of the next one.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes another missed opportunity by the Lib Dems in 2010 who basically ended up selling out on their bedrock policy totems, PR, Tuition fees and the EU.

I was not a fan of the AV system but I voted for it anyway in preference to FPTP, but it was a rubbish referendum that merely held the beer of the next one.

Yes, I did the same.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

And may I add marvellous that at last the Government haters on here have a genuine victory to celebrate, my days it’s been a long time [emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think the proximity of HS2's route to Amersham may have played a part as well. But nevertheless a very big swing against the Tories. The acid test will be at the next GE. Often you see results like this mid-term but they then revert at the next GE. Will also require Labour/Lib Dem/Greens not falling out over who is going to target which seats if they really want to make a dent in the south.
HS2 is the big local issue yes,... this wont be replicated in a GE, almost certainly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here