Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top South Coast side

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
So for first time in PL we are the top South Coast side. (edited after replies).

Having nothing better to do, researched history to see when previously (if at all) that Albion finished as top South Coast team.

Could find only season 1959/60 in the Football league era that we were ahead of Southampton and Pompey and Bournemouth, as were Plymouth: Albion 14th in Division 2; Plymouth 19th, Pompey 20th, and Southampton champions of Division 3 (the only FL season they were behind 3 other SC clubs), Bournemouth in Div3.

There were a few seasons pre WW1 when we were above Saints and Pompey, but in two of these (1911-12, 1912-13) Plymouth recorded what I think were the only seasons they have been top SC club.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So for second time in PL we are the top South Coast side (finished two places above Saints in 17/18).

Having nothing better to do, researched history to see when previously (if at all) that Albion finished as top South Coast team.

Could find only season 1959/60 in the Football league era that we were ahead of Southampton and Pompey, as were Plymouth: Albion 14th in Division 2; Plymouth 19th, Pompey 20th, and Southampton champions of Division 3 (the only FL season they were behind 3 other SC clubs).

There were a few seasons pre WW1 when we were above Saints and Pompey, but in two of these (1911-12, 1912-13) Plymouth recorded what I think were the only seasons they have been top SC club.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above!

I'll correct you on the very first bit. We did finish above Saints in 17/18, but Bournemouth finished 12th!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, very pleasing. It's probably more important to me than finishing above Palace actually, although obviously others will have a different view on that.

Talking of south coast teams, the only thing good about the Boscombe getting promoted in their crap shoebox ground, is that at least it's funny to think it is Portsmouth still in the noddy leagues (hopefully forever) while the rest of us big dogs fight it out in the top flight.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Surely finishing above Palace will see us top team sarf of the river for the first time?

Edit just checked.

Yep Charlton finished above us 59/60.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Portsmouth fans crying that 3 south coast teams are in the top flight and not them:

https://forum.truebluearmy.com/showthread.php?tid=1806

Lovely stuff.

'However, what have Brighton and Bournemouth got/done that elevates them to the Prem?'

Perhaps we were promoted from the Championship? :ffsparr:

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems the fan in question simply believes that simply by being poor old pompey, they should have a bye into the top flight.

el punal

Yes, very pleasing. It's probably more important to me than finishing above Palace actually, although obviously others will have a different view on that.

Talking of south coast teams, the only thing good about the Boscombe getting promoted in their crap shoebox ground, is that at least it's funny to think it is Portsmouth still in the noddy leagues (hopefully forever) while the rest of us big dogs fight it out in the top flight.

I agree with all you’ve said. Living in Southampton I’m enjoying the moment with my Gloaty McGloat face on full beam. My Saints loving friends have insisted all season that they’ll finish above us - so a wonderful tough titties moment for them. As for Plucky? Well, the only consolation is that it’s an easy away fixture for me. It’s also about time that we turned them over at their gaff.

And Portsmouth? :lolol: :wave:

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I agree with all you’ve said. Living in Southampton I’m enjoying the moment with my Gloaty McGloat face on full beam. My Saints loving friends have insisted all season that they’ll finish above us - so a wonderful tough titties moment for them. As for Plucky? Well, the only consolation is that it’s an easy away fixture for me. It’s also about time that we turned them over at their gaff.

And Portsmouth? :lolol: :wave:

I agree with MOST of Simster said. But, personally, Noddy Leagues wouldn't be my description of anything below the Premier League.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
'However, what have Brighton and Bournemouth got/done that elevates them to the Prem?'

Perhaps we were promoted from the Championship? :ffsparr:

Maybe I am missing something, but it seems the fan in question simply believes that simply by being poor old pompey, they should have a bye into the top flight.

In fairness I think the question is what have we got behind the scenes in terms of setup etc that has allowed us to get promoted to the Premier League?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Portsmouth fans crying that 3 south coast teams are in the top flight and not them:

https://forum.truebluearmy.com/showthread.php?tid=1806

Lovely stuff.

What a bunch of prize bellends. The only trophy they've won in living memory is the reason they've spent 6 years in the third division(which apparently is absolutely not good enough for a club the humongous size of Portsmouth).

I never realised they had such an inflated opinion of themselves. I thought that was only Southampton. Must be a hampshire thing. In the near 35 years I've been watching football they've basically been the south coast Barnsley. But with a bought f.a cup and added fourth division experience.

It does make a fun read though even if we don't have soul like Portsmouth have.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"The financial system is now designed to keep clubs in the higher leagues there or get them back as quickly as possible. Parachute payments encourage the payment of wages that cannot be afforded. In both the champ and out own league, relegated clubs are allowed to spend more than those already there. That needs government intervention as it is anti competitive."

This, coming from a Pompey fan, is particularly RICH, given the benefit they all reaped from their clubs financial doping, all done on tick.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
"The financial system is now designed to keep clubs in the higher leagues there or get them back as quickly as possible. Parachute payments encourage the payment of wages that cannot be afforded. In both the champ and out own league, relegated clubs are allowed to spend more than those already there. That needs government intervention as it is anti competitive."

This, coming from a Pompey fan, is particularly RICH, given the benefit they all reaped from their clubs financial doping, all done on tick.

It is a little lacking in awareness isn't it?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Love the way they try and put a brave face on it, going on about being the most successful south coast club, the only trophy any of them will remember them winning they did so with a team they couldn't afford.

To be fair, if we had got to five FA cup finals and won Div 1 twice in our history I think we would have mentioned it once or twice.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Ha love this..
"I don’t give a toss about any other south coast clubs, unless we play them.
They can languish in their own respective leagues, paying a bloody sight more to watch their football and moaning about just the same sort of things we do. And if they aren’t doing it now, they soon will be.
**** em!"

Languish !!

Oh my days, yep we are certainly languishing in the Premier League having spanked several of the top sides....

They sure do have delusions of grandeur

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here