Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top Gear, Tonight, BBC 2

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And why did they choose the History Channel for the debut

Programme makers don't choose the network, the networks choose which programmes to buy.
Yeah I can't remember the exact details, but they have struggled for years to get TG off the ground in the US. Even though TG is the most illegally downloaded show in America.
They've struggled with sponsorship and getting the US manufacturers on board, as 1 dodgy review, esp in the current climate, would prove very costly.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I believe they are dropped off in Iraq and they are than targeted by Al Quaeda and have to leave pronto, cue lots of pics of Clarkson tipping sand out of his cars air filter

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Enjoyed last nights episode. Not being able to understand redneck was funny and constantly referring to Hammond as Stuart Little. You've got to wonder what goes through Hammond's mind as he's spinning a Porsche off a track at high speed considering what happened in the past.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
I liked the digs at the stig, fully deserved! Enjoyed it overall, although the xmas tree fire sketch was shit...they need acting lessons!

That mercs engine sound though, god I could rev that all day

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Stig digs good. The rest was average to poor.

Top Gear reveals to the world that Manhattan's streets are laid out on a grid pattern. Now there's cutting edge journalism for you.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
The Christmas tree fire sketch was cringeworthy beyond belief - the whole show is formulaic, contrived and lacking the spark it once had.

As for the 'drive-by training'... What next, testing HGVs for the suitability for strangling prostitutes in the back of the cab? Yes, the show's supposed to be all jokey and doubtless people will think I've taken it far too seriously, but what the f*** is making a joke about a method of murder all about?

They go for the shock value but seem to have forgotten the need for anything intelligent or funny.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hammonds hair is embarrassing. You'd think it'd be a prime target for a pisstake by the others, yet its NEVER mentioned.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not as good as usual last night. I hope they aren't running out of ideas.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
wasn't very good, was it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've got it plussed.
The scripted studio banter is a bit cringeworthy, and Hammond is mildly tragic, but overall its still one of the more entertaining shows on the tellybox.

I'll be honest, consdidering the fact I've enjoyed all of the specials Top Gear have done, this is the first one where at the end I was underwhelmed!! Certainly my least favourite of the specials over the years!

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
I thought it was good. I'd LOVE to do that journey in one of those cars (apart from the desert bit.) Some of the view - WOW.

ILIKECANDLES

Banned
Sep 1, 2010
So obviously contrived, it didn't hit the heights for me. Started well though when the planes rear end opened when they attempted to land!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
wasn't very good, was it

I have to agree with this.

I love Top Gear, it's one of the few shows I will make an effort to watch if it's on, but this one just didn't do it for me at all. It all seemed far too contrived (for example, they obviously knew they were going to be landing in Iraq at the start).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here