• Bus passenger

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Train user

Votes: 10 20.0%
  • Car driver

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The City Council's [not very good] journey planner comes up with these estimates (for a journey from the Old Steine to Falmer, Railway Station Approach), on a Saturday, leaving at about 1.00pm:-

Walk - 68 minutes
Cycle - 22 minutes
Car - 7 minutes
Public Transport - 26 minutes

From the Old Steine, the quickest public transport option is, of course, ALWAYS the bus, since a journey via Brighton Station involves unnecessary interchange time. The bus journey includes walking time from Sussex University (Gardner Centre bus stop) to the final destination. And the car journey doesn't include parking time.

Rather mysteriously, the car journey time seems to ignore the fact that the Council have introduced a 20mph speed limit along most of the route. Legal driving would take more than 7 minutes. As I say, there are a number of serious deficiencies in the Journey Planner.

In terms of costs, Walk and Cycle are free; Public Transport is the price of half a Saver ticket (ie £2.30); Car costs are £4.90 (based on 70 pence per mile driven - the typical car used in a UK city centre, including tax, insurance and fuel).

If you care about CO2 emissions, car is the worst option.

Last edited:

Having worked at the uni I don't believe you can get there in 7 mins other than when no one else is trying to get there. Probably more like double that.
I agree.

See the additional comment I've edited into my post:-

Rather mysteriously, the car journey time seems to ignore the fact that the Council have introduced a 20mph speed limit along most of the route. Legal driving would take more than 7 minutes. As I say, there are a number of serious deficiencies in the Journey Planner.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
How about working out which method allows a person to leave latest and still get to the match on time and similar who is home first?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lord B, I respect your posts but there are so many other factors. Firstly, traffic for the bus and car driver to tackle, the cyclist has a free ride from the gyratory onwards. I think this would be an interesting race, but the reality is that you could run it before 3 matches and get a different winner each time, different factors would come into it - faster connections, more/less traffic, wind/no wind...

Lord B, I respect your posts but there are so many other factors. Firstly, traffic for the bus and car driver to tackle, the cyclist has a free ride from the gyratory onwards. I think this would be an interesting race, but the reality is that you could run it before 3 matches and get a different winner each time, different factors would come into it - faster connections, more/less traffic, wind/no wind...
Correct.

And who starts their journey from the Pier or Old Steine? Once upon a time, I actually lived at 53 Old Steine (next door to Marlborough House and about as close to that bit of Brighton as it's possible to live - but I doubt if many Albion fans can claim that advantage in a Travel Time Challenge).

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Hmmmm difficult to believe, over a short distance then yes, maybe, but all the way from Churchill Square to Coldean?

I was the only person to vote for the bendybus, but then one look at my avatar would probably tell you why.

I have absolutely nothing to gain from making it up. I wasn't allowed to get on the bus with my bike so I thought sod it I can beat you home anyway, and I did.

I have absolutely nothing to gain from making it up. I wasn't allowed to get on the bus with my bike so I thought sod it I can beat you home anyway, and I did.
I once found myself testing a version of the bus v bike race, quite by chance. I was waiting for a bus at the Natal Road bus stop, next to Brighton University. Along came Attila on his bike. He stopped for a conversation and then resumed his journey. Along came the 25 bus and I jumped on. At the stadium end, having left the bus at the Sussex University (Gardner Centre bus stop), I walked straight to Dick's Bar - and Attila was already there. He bought me a pint of Harvey's. This was an evening match.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
If the cyclist ignores the regular road restrictions (as most of them do) then he should pull it off fastest. Both car and bus suffer with frequent stopping whereas the cyclist can just hit it flat out from the off. I don't know why anyone would EVER choose to drive a car around this city if they didn't have to

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
If the cyclist ignores the regular road restrictions (as most of them do) then he should pull it off fastest. Both car and bus suffer with frequent stopping whereas the cyclist can just hit it flat out from the off. I don't know why anyone would EVER choose to drive a car around this city if they didn't have to

I don't ignore the road restrictions to the AMEX and still beat buses and cars, especially if their are road works. I have used all the available options and bar using the Bridge Street car part early, the bike is the quickest and easiest by far. Could do with more cycle racks as the longest part is finding somewhere to lock it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't ignore the road restrictions to the AMEX and still beat buses and cars, especially if their are road works. I have used all the available options and bar using the Bridge Street car part early, the bike is the quickest and easiest by far. Could do with more cycle racks as the longest part is finding somewhere to lock it.

Indeed. I regularly come across the 24 in Coldean and race it into town: I generally win by some distance. To beat a car would be trickier but not impossible, particularly when parking is taken into account.

Oh, and I don't cycle on pavements or ignore red lights and I'm 56 on a clapped-out old bike so it's not a question of being some sort of racer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here