Top Gear/Chris Evans & the BBC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Former Friends star Matt LeBlanc is be one of the new presenters of Top Gear when the motoring programme returns to BBC Two in May.

The US actor will be the show's first non-British host in its 39-year history.

"Matt's a lifelong fellow petrolhead and I'm thrilled he's joining Top Gear," said Chris Evans of his new co-presenter.

Additional Top Gear cast members will be confirmed shortly, the BBC said.

"As a car nut and a massive fan of Top Gear, I'm honoured and excited to be a part of this iconic show's new chapter," said LeBlanc. "What a thrill!"

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Surprised the BBC hasn't followed it's usual hiring policy

“The problem is that television executives have got it into their heads that if one presenter on a show is a blond-haired, blue-eyed heterosexual boy, the other must be a black Muslim lesbian. Chalk and cheese, they reckon, works. But here we have Top Gear setting new records after six years using cheese and cheese. It confuses them.”

Jeremy Clarkson

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Chris Evans is much too excitable and and a bit of a Lovie so there is no way that they can even begin to replicate what Clarkson and Co brought to this. If it's anything like as childish or shit as his previous shouty TV programmes it will be a massive flop.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Really weird one isn't it? I hope that he is good, I am just worried that we all have perceptions of him as Joey rather than a presenter!

It would have been great to get a few unknowns in that we could get to know and see their style grow

It seems like the 'unknowns' have dipped their toe in the water, and found out that all was not what it seemed.

I know one of the new recruits who has recently departed, and he said Evans was a nightmare to deal with, and that the show was going in a direction that he didn't want to be part of. So he jumped ship and is now working on another show elsewhere.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Surprised the BBC hasn't followed it's usual hiring policy

“The problem is that television executives have got it into their heads that if one presenter on a show is a blond-haired, blue-eyed heterosexual boy, the other must be a black Muslim lesbian. Chalk and cheese, they reckon, works. But here we have Top Gear setting new records after six years using cheese and cheese. It confuses them.”

Jeremy Clarkson
It's almost like Clarkson was talking out of his backside. Surely not.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Chris Evans is much too excitable and and a bit of a Lovie so there is no way that they can even begin to replicate what Clarkson and Co brought to this. If it's anything like as childish or shit as his previous shouty TV programmes it will be a massive flop.

Is the point that they don't want a carbon copy of the Jeremy Clarkson and Friends motoring programme!

SAC

May 21, 2014
It got remarkably good viewing figures considering how repetitive it had become "opps, I have just bumped in to Captain Slow, he he". Funny for a bit but tedious after a while in my view (but obviously not everyones).

The new series will start off with viewing figures about two thirds of the previous incarnation and then drop to about half. The press will have a field day about the lost viewers but actually it will still be pretty decent for BBC2.

That's what my crystal ball is telling me, anyway!

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
It got remarkably good viewing figures considering how repetitive it had become "opps, I have just bumped in to Captain Slow, he he". Funny for a bit but tedious after a while in my view (but obviously not everyones).

The new series will start off with viewing figures about two thirds of the previous incarnation and then drop to about half. The press will have a field day about the lost viewers but actually it will still be pretty decent for BBC2.

They will have to try new things, some if which will work, some will not. But hopefully the show will develop and be worth watching.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Is the point that they don't want a carbon copy of the Jeremy Clarkson and Friends motoring programme!

Well if it turns out anything like Evans other TV programmes they'll lose any viewers over 30 very quickly. I have no problem with him on the radio, but whenever I see him on TV I just have to turn off :shrug:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Do the Beeb care too much about how it is received in the UK? I'd have thought global sales is what it is all about for them, although I have no idea what international buyers are likely to do. Will they carry on buying or adopt a "wait and see" attitude due to all the changes that will have happened.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm still hoping that the new Clarkson/May/Hammond incarnation on Amazon is really going to be called "Gear Knobs".

SAC

May 21, 2014
Do the Beeb care too much about how it is received in the UK? I'd have thought global sales is what it is all about for them, although I have no idea what international buyers are likely to do. Will they carry on buying or adopt a "wait and see" attitude due to all the changes that will have happened.

They should only care about what is right for the UK audience and then be happy if they can sell rights. However with the government bullying them over spending, I think more and more TV will be down to what they can sell elsewhere to the detriment of the UK audience.

Do overseas rights buy the format or the name, would the changes in the UK presenters have any effect at all? I presume that they don't use the UK version with subtitles?

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

That would sound about right to me.

I think it will go the same as Radio 1 did when Chris Moyles left. A lot of the due hard fans will refuse to tune in, then more will switch off as it will be really different to what they know.

However, as time goes by the numbers will stabilise and start to grow again as fans of the new show begin to get on board

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
Well if it turns out anything like Evans other TV programmes they'll lose any viewers over 30 very quickly. I have no problem with him on the radio, but whenever I see him on TV I just have to turn off :shrug:

Agree with you , he is not really tv compatible , he looks like something out of Thunderbirds ! On the radio he is fine !
Ruined the chance completely now with Matt LeBlanc (stupid name) as co presenter , the bloke is a knob and must realise he can't act !

Oh well one less watching here .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you mean like those massively successful programmes he's done before? not always a fan myself (liked original TFI, it was of its time) but a lot of people like excited, shouty person on TV.

spot on, it will "fail" measured against last incarnation of Top Gear but probably do relatively well for Sunday evening on BBC2. co-presenters, guests and what they do with the cars will be more important than Chris Evan imo, if they go Top Gear MKI it will be a lemon, the MKII wont be replicated or bettered, so the MKIII needs to do something a bit different to both.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
you mean like those massively successful programmes he's done before? not always a fan myself (liked original TFI, it was of its time) but a lot of people like excited, shouty person on TV.

If they are looking for an audience of 16 to immature early 30's I'm sure it will be very well received then :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports