Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 50 Sitcoms

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just finished watching this Channel 5 programme from last night. Now I know these things are subjective and are probably voted for by a lot more women than men. I can almost understand Are You Being Served, It Ain't Alf Hot Mum, The Likely Lads, On The Buses, George And Mildred and a few others not making the list.

But, bearing in mind the list contained Miranda, Mrs Brown's Boys, The Golden Girls, Parks and Recreation among others, I cannot understand how The Office or Phoenix Nights are not in the Top 50. Even weirder is that C5 trailed the programme by talking about the Likely Lads and Happy Days but neither were included.

I'm probably in the minority by quite liking these talking heads Top lists but I won't spoiler the actual list. Can't argue too much with some of the top positions but some of the titles completely missing was completely baffling.

Anyone else watch this? (Probably not live as it was 9-12 last night).

Didn't watch it but the point about women is interesting. For a moment there I thought 'that's sexist' and then I thought of my own social circle. I cannot stand Miranda or Mrs Brown's Boys. However my wife, who I obviously married, loves Mrs Brown and her best friend who is a very funny woman in her own right loves Miranda. I'm not saying all women do because NSC's very own Edna K puts both programmes down brilliantly on here and twitter. But of all the people I know the only ones I know for a fact LOVE these programmes are female.

I'll further stick my neck out and defend Mrs Brown. It's not my cup of tea but I'm glad it exists. Not everything can be topical / ironic / side splittingly clever. MBBs is, to its credit, on the BBC because the likes of Bens Grandad or my Mrs or whoever it is that DOES like this stuff pay a licence fee too. My dad, bless 'im, watches the likes of Dad's Army almost on rotation and has not real concept of 1980s Alternative Comedy let alone modern stuff. My 8 year old laughs at Bugs Bunny and Minecraft videos. I am somewhere in between. Yet we all need to be catered for.

Miranda can do one though.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Didn't watch it but the point about women is interesting. For a moment there I thought 'that's sexist' and then I thought of my own social circle. I cannot stand Miranda or Mrs Brown's Boys. However my wife, who I obviously married, loves Mrs Brown and her best friend who is a very funny woman in her own right loves Miranda. I'm not saying all women do because NSC's very own Edna K puts both programmes down brilliantly on here and twitter. But of all the people I know the only ones I know for a fact LOVE these programmes are female.

I'll further stick my neck out and defend Mrs Brown. It's not my cup of tea but I'm glad it exists. Not everything can be topical / ironic / side splittingly clever. MBBs is, to its credit, on the BBC because the likes of Bens Grandad or my Mrs or whoever it is that DOES like this stuff pay a licence fee too. My dad, bless 'im, watches the likes of Dad's Army almost on rotation and has not real concept of 1980s Alternative Comedy let alone modern stuff. My 8 year old laughs at Bugs Bunny and Minecraft videos. I am somewhere in between. Yet we all need to be catered for.

Miranda can do one though.
Not sure why people are trying to put a sexist angle on my post. I would imagine that it's widely accepted that Miranda, Ab Fab etc are predominantly watched by women. Generalising for sure but a safe bet. So if, as I imagine, women are more inclined to vote in these polls then it would explain why the list differs from my tastes. And if you poll 100 people, you will get 100 different answers.

But excluding so many multi award winning sitcoms seems bizarre. Fresh Prince better than Alf Garnett, The Likely Lads or Hancock? Outnumbered better than The Royle Family or The Thick of It? 2012 better than The Office or Steptoe? Some people will think so but the majority?

Can't believe how annoyed I have got over a talking heads, filler programme!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Not sure why people are trying to put a sexist angle on my post. I would imagine that it's widely accepted that Miranda, Ab Fab etc are predominantly watched by women.

I'm not. I considered it but I think you're right. I don't know a single bloke that watches Miranda or that many women who like Hancock or The Likely Lads. Hence putting my initial reaction and then qualifying it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I love parks and recreations, one of the best american sitcoms in recent times, imo. It's been airing on BBC4, but I couldn't wait so rented from lovefilm.

705598-parks_and_recreation_5056431f846b0.jpg

The bearded guy stood at the back is Chris Pratt (the main guy from Guardians of the Galaxy).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here