Top 5 crappy villages and towns

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
The thing about Newhaven i like is that it seems like a place with an actual reason for being there. Sure it's run down and has had a huge incinerator dumped on it, but I prefer it to places like peacehaven which imo is a soulless nothing sort of a place, a suburb of some town thats been removed and plonked on the cliffs.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Very good call, sounds like you have spent plenty of time in medway,
Isle of sheppy a close runner up!

Jakarta gave a pretty good selection of local towns, but you are spot on with Isle of Sheppey. That place really does take things to a new level.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bracknell
Luton
Milton Keynes
Bolton
Yateley

oh and Portsmouth

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
It seems only a few of you have been to South Wales.

Port Talbot
Pontypridd
Merthyr Tydfil
Newport
Bridgend

Worst in England: Grimsby
I had Gilfach Goch what a dump ,i could also of added Llanharran ,Llantrisant ,ynsbwyl, Mountain Ash, Beddau and Llandridnod Wells.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
It seems only a few of you have been to South Wales.

Port Talbot
Pontypridd
Merthyr Tydfil
Newport
Bridgend

Worst in England: Grimsby

I have been to Port Talbot, and must agree, that is especially grim.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I had Cowbridge in my top 5, a god awful town in South Wales.

Cowbridge is the jewel of the south compared to most other places around there.

Disclaimer: Mrs Trufflehound grew up in Cowbridge, so I am contractually obliged to see it in a positive light. Despite this, she agrees with me wholeheartedly about the rest of that area.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I had Gilfach Goch what a dump ,i could also of added Llanharran ,Llantrisant ,ynsbwyl, Mountain Ash, Beddau and Llandridnod Wells.

Mountain Ash is definitely up there (or down there...).

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Basildon
Birkenhead
Workington
Billingham
And ... Glenrothes

That's my 5!! You could add Harlow and Luton but they are bubbling below the Top 5

Yep.

We've been doing a fair bit of work in small-town Scotland over the last couple of years. We've had jobs in Glenrothes, Kirkaldy, Bathgate and Whitburn.

The people on this thread mentioning places like Portslade, seriously have NO idea just how grim some towns up there are. Truly horrible, depressing existance for folk in that old mining belt round Bathgate. Whitburn is definietly my 'favourite'. Unspeakable.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Yep.

We've been doing a fair bit of work in small-town Scotland over the last couple of years. We've had jobs in Glenrothes, Kirkaldy, Bathgate and Whitburn.

The people on this thread mentioning places like Portslade, seriously have NO idea just how grim some towns up there are. Truly horrible, depressing existance for folk in that old mining belt round Bathgate. Whitburn is definietly my 'favourite'. Unspeakable.

True dat

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have been to Port Talbot, and must agree, that is especially grim.

here is one of the more appealing pics of Port Talbot that i could find...

_48757604_48757605.jpg

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Hindley
Wigan
Skelmersdale
Warrington
Runcorn

Oh Yes, although you should also add Runcorns toxic neighbour just to the North of the Mersey.

I give you Widnes. :eek:

Although you probably wouldn't appreciate the present.....

And a shout for Ellesmere Port, just down the M56 and right up there for chemically tinged godawfullness, you have to been downwind of Stanlow Refinery to appreciate its unique 'bouquet'. :sick:

I'm so nostalgic for my old stomping ground.

Pickledegg

Jul 13, 2012
Only 5....hard

Littlehampton
Worthing
Hailsham
Newhaven
Crawley

Reserves include: Hastings, Saltdean, Peacehaven, Horsham, Burgess Hill, Maidstone, Chatham, Uckfield

I guess your map stops on the Sussex border?!

You need to get out more!!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The thing about Newhaven i like is that it seems like a place with an actual reason for being there. Sure it's run down and has had a huge incinerator dumped on it, but I prefer it to places like peacehaven which imo is a soulless nothing sort of a place, a suburb of some town thats been removed and plonked on the cliffs.
Agree with you here, i was born in Brighton and lived there most of my life but been in Newhaven 12 years and i could think of worse places to live, whoever designed the traffic system did it in the dark or does not drive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports