Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Top 4 finish

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Aim for it by all means, but I and obviously some others won't be upset if we don't get there. Next season, realistically is too early; it would be like a team getting into the PL (or top flight) without a hope or the resources for anything other than a desperate and ultimately unsuccessful effort to stay in it, with no good outcomes from a season of turmoil (think Swindon, Orient, Northampton and Carlisle - yes, I have got a long memory!)

I am far more interested in maintaining a top 6 or 7 position to guarantee a season in Europe at a level where we can compete, the Europa League or the Conference, whatever (and that is the Europa Conference, not as some idiot earlier suggested, the other Conference, below the EFL - which obviously we do not have any chance of winning next season!) so still watchng out for those teams who could still rob us of that rather than sweating about the CL!

Couldn't agree more. The prestige of a champions league place would quickly be forgotten if we got stuffed every game which is a likely outcome. Even more so if it coincides with a poor showing in the PL.

The Europa league we would have a decent chance of making the knockout stages against a big club and we could go even further in the Europa conference, West Ham have made the quarters and we are a much better side.

I'd argue fans would have fonder memories of a quarter final against Genk in the europa conference than finishing bottom in the group stages of CL

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I have never really considered it a possibility this season and tbh I feel like I did when we were promoted from Div 1 to the championship and everyone was talking about a swift promotion to the Prem, we are not ready for it. European football yes but not CL. I would much rather an FA cup win and Europa league or get into the conference via the various permutations.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
CL qualification is possibly the only way we definitely keep RDZ, Moises, and Ali. Anyone saying they don’t want it because we’re not ready isn't really seeing the bigger picture. The extra money would make a huge difference in squad strengthening and in terms of being competitive there isn’t one team in this country we don’t give a good game and most of Europe isn’t at PL level. We would give a good account of ourselves.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Couldn't agree more. The prestige of a champions league place would quickly be forgotten if we got stuffed every game which is a likely outcome. Even more so if it coincides with a poor showing in the PL.
There are plenty of sides in the Champions League worse than we are. If we were to qualify (and I don't think we will) and we basically keep the same squad/quality, we'd have to be extremely unlucky with the draw to be in a group where we get thrashed in every game.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
There are plenty of sides in the Champions League worse than we are. If we were to qualify (and I don't think we will) and we basically keep the same squad/quality, we'd have to be extremely unlucky with the draw to be in a group where we get thrashed in every game.
Wouldn't it be awful if we had to play Real Madrid twice? I'm not sure I would have any interest in seeing that happen. Much better to play teams I have barely heard of I reckon.

I dont think we will make CL as Newcastle look to be back in form and Manure have Rashford dragging them through most games. But I certainly would not be upset if the stars aligned and we scraped in.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Wouldn't it be awful if we had to play Real Madrid twice? I'm not sure I would have any interest in seeing that happen. Much better to play teams I have barely heard of I reckon.

I dont think we will make CL as Newcastle look to be back in form and Manure have Rashford dragging them through most games. But I certainly would not be upset if the stars aligned and we scraped in.
Well quite.
I just checked, and this season Real Madrid were in Group F with Celtic, Shakhtar Donetsk and RB Leipzig.
Tottenham, who qualified fourth from the PL, got a group with Frankfurt, Sporting and Marseille. I'm sure they have their qualities, but I don't look at those teams and think "oh god, how will we cope in such rarified air".

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy the ride but I think it's a little naive to think we wouldn't be in for a rude awakening in the CL and I'm not sure they'd be plenty of teams worse than us in the group stages. Even the europa league is packed full of huge clubs in the latter stages and 'smaller' teams that perform to a high level in the early stages.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Don't get me wrong I'd enjoy the ride but I think it's a little naive to think we wouldn't be in for a rude awakening in the CL and I'm not sure they'd be plenty of teams worse than us in the group stages. Even the europa league is packed full of huge clubs in the latter stages and 'smaller' teams that perform to a high level in the early stages.
You do realise that we already compete with 4 Champions League teams every year these days? And not also-rans but teams that usually make it through to the later stages and even win the thing sometimes? In fact we stuffed the 2021 winners 4-1 the last time we played them and we beat last years runners up twice this year. I don't say we would go in to the competition as serious contenders but I would back us to go further than the group stage, we are not Celtic or Rangers!

And I say this without even sipping the De Zerbi Kool Aid - if I had I'd be saying we could win it at our first attempt :)

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
You do realise that we already compete with 4 Champions League teams every year these days? And not also-rans but teams that usually make it through to the later stages and even win the thing sometimes? In fact we stuffed the 2021 winners 4-1 the last time we played them and we beat last years runners up twice this year. I don't say we would go in to the competition as serious contenders but I would back us to go further than the group stage, we are not Celtic or Rangers!

And I say this without even sipping the De Zerbi Kool Aid - if I had I'd be saying we could win it at our first attempt :)
Now that's the positivity I am looking for.!!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was all well and good dreaming about it when our games in hand were Bournemouth and Palace, but now they're, Newcastle and United.
We will probably need to win both of them and Saturday's game to make it to 5th.

If we can do that then we're in with an outside chance.
Europa League is the most likely outcome.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It was all well and good dreaming about it when our games in hand were Bournemouth and Palace, but now they're, Newcastle and United.
We will probably need to win both of them and Saturday's game to make it to 5th.

If we can do that then we're in with an outside chance.
Europa League is the most likely outcome.
If we win the next two its well on. Thats a huge "if" obviously, but we would then have two huge 6 pointers against the two Uniteds and would almost certainly be living in the most exciting phase in our clubs history.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
At the top of the league, teams don't drop many points (obvs). So catching up - even with games in hand - is very much harder than at the bottom of the league, where points are rarer, and therefore have more of an impact.

We're used to a few wins making a big difference to our position. That's just not the case at the top. It would be astonishing if we made CL places - almost a miracle at this stage. And our run in (and the number of games) will put a real strain on our squad. I'd take your arm off for Europa League next season.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If you look at these graphs, we should potentially already be in the Champions League spots:

2023-04-05-100.png

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Also if you look at all league form over last 10 and 5 games it really is a case of carrying on as we are to be super close at the end of the season. That will be a big challenge, but it's far from inconceivable.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The champions league would be outrageous if we made it. I don't buy that we'd get a whooping each game. As someone just above me said we play four decent champions league teams each season and we're currently the match of them. Maybe our lack of experience would stop us qualifying for the knock outs but I reckon we could finish third and drop down into the Europa league.

That said, even though I've been telling friends and co-workers for weeks that we're in the top four race, I don't really believe it anymore.

Realistically we need 70 plus points to get in the top four. That's another 24 points or 8 wins in 11 games. That's a big, big ask and I don't think we'll do it. No harm in aiming for it though. Aim for the stars and get the moon and all that.

I'd be delighted with a cup final and 5th-7th. I reckon we need five wins to make 7th.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here