Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Top 3 Yankee bands

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I like that the fact that a couple of posters like a group so much, that they have incorrectly named them.

Anyway my top 3

Talking Heads
Steely Dan
The Doors

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The Killers
REM
Guns n' Roses

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Impossible to choose just 3 so I will choose bands that I don't think have been mentioned yet but feel deserve to:

Swans
Slint
Death (the death metal band, not the 70's proto-punk band)

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Nirvana
The White Stripes
I can't decide number 3. If I'm allowed solo artists I'm going Otis Redding. If I'm not...am I allowed to choose a particular era of a bands back catalogue. If I am then it's 90's Green Day. If I'm not then.... :shrug:

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
Most influential…
Neil Young and Crazy Horse
The Ramones
Steve Earle and The Dukes
Lucinda Williams (and whoever was backing her at the time)

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
I think that’s the first mention of this great band on here
1707362828294.png

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I’d never generally recommend people start with live videos when getting into bands, but their Town and Country gig of 1988 is wonderful.

My favourite band, they should have been bigger than Nirvana.

As to avoid completely turning this into a Pixies thread though, my other top 3 would be a toss-up between Talking Heads, Smashing Pumpkins and The National.

Amazing gig. The tour with Throwing Muses. :love::love:

Later on in that footage, when they play In Heaven, you can just about make out my hand in the front row. Black Francis was swinging his guitar back and forth, and the lead kept whiplashing me. Had to try and whack it away every time he swung it forward again.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
As others have said, it’s pretty impossible to pick the top three bands from the country that invented jazz, blues and rock and roll. Lots of excellent picks. I’ll put down 3 bands I really like that I’m not sure I saw when I skimmed through.

Blue Oyster Cult
The Replacements
Wilco

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Nirvana
The White Stripes
I can't decide number 3. If I'm allowed solo artists I'm going Otis Redding. If I'm not...am I allowed to choose a particular era of a bands back catalogue. If I am then it's 90's Green Day. If I'm not then.... :shrug:
you’ve used a loophole to get a top 4 in.
Shame on you.
I’m not angry but I’m very disappointed.

Anyway if we’re doing 4th places, I can’t decide between The Pixies, Talking Heads or The Smashing Pumpkins.

look what you’ve made me do now 😞

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
The Band - yes I know with the exception of Levon Helm they are Canadian but you can’t get much more Yankee than ’The night they drove old Dixie Down’
The Velvet Underground
The Stooges
It's only Yankee in the sense that they are the "they" and is an anti Yankee song, sung from the perspective of a Southerner at the end of the Civil War. Great song, and great band, but not American. On the same logic, Fleetwood Mac are an American band.

If you change it to "Bob Dylan and the Band" then the American cohort goes up to a third of the group.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
shit, I missed the B52s...

Pixies
B52s
Ramones
I am a member of a record collecting Facebook page and someone posted a photo of Fred Schneider's NYC house and specifically his vinyl roon.....think of a library but with floor to ceilng vinly instead of books. The stuff of dreams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here