Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Top 3 Promoted v The Play Offs

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Certainly a case for rethinking the format.

Perhaps 6th could playoff at 5th, the winner of which plays off at 4th, the winner of which plays off at 3rd for promotion.

The wembley showdown could be a playoff between promoted 1st and 2nd for divisional glory.

Yep, I like this one too. It gives more advantage the higher you finish, and less chance of the stupid situation where a crap team in 6th place gets promoted.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I prefer the original play off format of 3rd 4th and 5th plus 3rd bottom of the division above who had the chance to stay up.

They only used that format for 2 seasons, i believe it was used to reduce the top flight to 20 clubs from 22.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Why should that format cause any more trouble than the existing assuming the play offs were Newcastle v Sunderland & Portsmouth v Southampton or similar. I think the trouble followed what was the norm at the time. We have all moved on from then and those days
Because that would be 2 teams going for promotion.

The old system could have a team getting promoted as a team got relegated.

The relegated team would not be in the best of moods, which wouldn't be helped by a team celebrating promotion in front of them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is that any different to us in 91 when we lost to Nottrs County. This year it would have meant probably Newcastle or Sunderland entering the play off instead of Sheff Wed (6th) 3 going for promotion and 1 trying to avoid relegation.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is that any different to us in 91 when we lost to Nottrs County. This year it would have meant probably Newcastle or Sunderland entering the play off instead of Sheff Wed (6th) 3 going for promotion and 1 trying to avoid relegation.
Yes, different because although Notts County went up, we were not relegated at the same match.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Play-offs are more interesting, even if they aren't always quite so fair. And they get games like the Sunderland Charlton 1998 play off final, which is much more fun for the neutral.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Play-offs are more interesting, even if they aren't always quite so fair. And they get games like the Sunderland Charlton 1998 play off final, which is much more fun for the neutral.

hMMM....if only we were neutral.....

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The league winners are based on a long season of 40+ games so I do not like the idea of a team being lower after 46 games winning a short knockout competition for promotion. I do realize that it is a commercial success and as such have to accept that it will not change.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
How about we just leave them alone, everyone knows at the start of the season, what happens if you don't make the top two.

If we are unfortunate enough to finish 3rd, then it's up to us to show why we have been so much better than every other side in the division except the too two over the course of the season

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Playoffs are fine. It's just unfortunate and very much our luck when a season comes around that has 3 teams are inextricably more dominant than the rest (when was the last time something similar happened?)

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No way they'll change the format anyway. Play-offs are excellent and the way it currently works is spot on.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Certainly a case for rethinking the format.

Perhaps 6th could playoff at 5th, the winner of which plays off at 4th, the winner of which plays off at 3rd for promotion.

The wembley showdown could be a playoff between promoted 1st and 2nd for divisional glory.

Isn't it that format in Scotland ? Sounds fairer as the highest ranked team then gets an advantage. Its probrualy the only thing the scots have right about there football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here