Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Too nice?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No Tony Bloom is pragmatic and a very savvy man.

Letting Potter leave quickly was the only sensible option, emotions would not have come into the decision making.

Nice is not a word I’d ever use to describe him as the owner of the Albion. I imagine Manchester City would concur

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No Tony Bloom is pragmatic and a very savvy man.

Letting Potter leave quickly was the only sensible option, emotions would not have come into the decision making.

Nice is not a word I’d ever use to describe him as the owner of the Albion. I imagine Manchester City would concur

Plus Potter and MacAuley would've had continued access to all scouting news.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is all bollocks if Tony has had his replacement manager and team lined up for this eventuality.

What I would say is that if we are going to be selling our top players for £50-£100 mill every summer then we might think about upping the manager wages. We can't have the likes of Thomas Frank looking at Brighton as a sideways move if this shit is going to happen one a regular basis. Top half team means manager has to get top half wages. I'm talking £5 mill a year rather than £2 mill.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I’m afraid on this I’m of the contrary view. We could have dug our heels in, created a soap opera that lasted for a week or two, burned our bridges and unsettled our players, turned the atmosphere around the club toxic, but we chose not to.

GP wanted to go and he’s gone. He’s taken his coaching team too, that also seems fairly standard practice these days. Where’s the upside in dragging this out? Once somebody’s decided they want to go, they want to go.

If we rebuffed Chelsea’s advances we suddenly have a manager who’s feeling denied other opportunities. Would he still have the same focus? Would the relationships between coach and directors remain the same? In my view those relationships wouldn’t survive.

We trusted in Potter to manage our club, but we trust in Tony who put him there. We will soon have a new manager, with a new coaching team. They will take time to get bedded in, and I’d expect a blip or two, but I’m still optimistic for the future.

It’s the difference between expelling a shit smoothly with no friction, and trying to force a hardened turd seemingly made of barbed wire out from an ******** that seems to have shrunk to the size of a pinhole. Given the choice between the two, I’d take the easy route.

Which reminds me, I must book that colonoscopy…

If reports are to be believed, and I think it's generally accepted, there was a buyout clause that Chelsea will/have triggered, there is no decision to be made here, it just was to be. From the outside looking in - One could argue that, with hindsight, it was a mistake have a release cause in there at all because that took away the bargaining chip. You just have to move on.....

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Not too nice. Just too good.

Sadly, the glut of departures is contributing towards this no longer being an issue.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Are Albion as a club too nice?
Could we, should we, have told Chelsea to **** off re Potter? It’s one thing being trusted as a stepping stone for a player, something completely different to allow one man to rip your entire operating management team out in one go, even departing CEOs of multinationals can’t normally do that.

That's one argument certainly, but it's akin to would you want to keep an unhappy player at your club? I certainly wouldn't. If Tony Bloom had blocked Chelsea's request to speak to him, relations between our club had player would have become strained at best, entirely broken at worst.

Potter badly wanted to go. The club had no real choice to make.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
I find all this a weird take really. We can't FORCE anyone to remain in a job, even if we thought that was a sensible move. There is certainly something about notice periods etc for people leaving, but in a high performance, competitive environment it's probably not sensible to have your competitors new manager stay in the building, let alone run your games / strategy etc.

Even having a massive buy out clause like that is quite unusual, so I think we've done well here. Real pain that the wider team are going, but these people aren't the only experts in football and we will certainly hire in professionals. Will be a bit bumpy, but no need for panic I feel.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If reports are to be believed, and I think it's generally accepted, there was a buyout clause that Chelsea will/have triggered, there is no decision to be made here, it just was to be. From the outside looking in - One could argue that, with hindsight, it was a mistake have a release cause in there at all because that took away the bargaining chip. You just have to move on.....

I think the release clause is a good idea, the value of it put it in the realms where only a few clubs would consider meeting it, and it allowed this all to be resolved quickly, which is best for the club. It's just shocking for the fans and players, team photo one morning, all the coaches in the photo gone the next.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I think Mr Bloom is a very nice guy to the correct people, savvy and hard to the correct people. He is one of us!
As for a manager buy out generally they are normally gotten rid of, but if the figure of £16 m. is correct then GP was worth more like £100m. obviously worth a lot more than Cucu. and Biss. combined. Let alone the rest of the staff he swanned off with!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Weren't we celebrating how tough we were to negotiate with a month or so ago. Now we are 'too nice'?

Could it be that we are prepared for this and as the saying goes 'well run' enough to overcome this hurdle. We are set up to survive/thrive in a cut throat business. We have to accept the position we are in and work with it. it's shit but it is planned for.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes. I tend to agree. The release clause will have been part of the club's "we won't hold you back" policy and that policy needs a serious rethink after this shitshow.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I think the lesson to be learnt is to put a higher release cause , why is a manager only worth 15 million, where as players over 50 million, surely a manager is worth more than a player

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Are Albion as a club too nice?
Could we, should we, have told Chelsea to **** off re Potter? It’s one thing being trusted as a stepping stone for a player, something completely different to allow one man to rip your entire operating management team out in one go, even departing CEOs of multinationals can’t normally do that.
my immediate answer to that is yes , we are nice sussex folk waiting to be dry humped by the big boys , what chelsea have been allowed to do is unparalleled in my knowledge 5 6 staff taken out of the equation in one transaction ....chelsea are a pack of ***** and we are soft as ****.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think the release clause is a good idea, the value of it put it in the realms where only a few clubs would consider meeting it, and it allowed this all to be resolved quickly, which is best for the club. It's just shocking for the fans and players, team photo one morning, all the coaches in the photo gone the next.

Buy out clause or no buy out clause, if a manager, (or player), really wants to go, what is to be gained from keeping someone who obviously wants to be somewhere else?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think the lesson to be learnt is to put a higher release cause , why is a manager only worth 15 million, where as players over 50 million, surely a manager is worth more than a player

It's the sort of figure that would make a club like Villa or Leicester think twice, especially if they think they might sack him in 6 months. Unfortunately Chelsea have deeper pockets and an owner a bit keen to spend his money.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Buy out clause or no buy out clause, if a manager, (or player), really wants to go, what is to be gained from keeping someone who obviously wants to be somewhere else?

I don't know quite why that question is aimed at me, but you gain cash by spending time haggling over the compensation figure, or are you saying anyone should just be allowed to walk at any moment for free?
With a pre agreed figure, if Chelsea had said they would not meet it, Potter is much less likely to be upset at not getting permission to talk to them, he signed the contract and understands what he signed.
If Chelsea agree to the figure, it saves us time in resolving the matter, we now know we need a new coaching team, and can get to work on it, rather than having spent a week agreeing compensation and then a day or two waiting on Potter to decide if he really wants to go.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Players have resale value, most managers are discarded with a golden goodbye within 2 years.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't know quite why that question is aimed at me, but you gain cash by spending time haggling over the compensation figure, or are you saying anyone should just be allowed to walk at any moment for free?
With a pre agreed figure, if Chelsea had said they would not meet it, Potter is much less likely to be upset at not getting permission to talk to them, he signed the contract and understands what he signed.
If Chelsea agree to the figure, it saves us time in resolving the matter, we now know we need a new coaching team, and can get to work on it, rather than having spent a week agreeing compensation and then a day or two waiting on Potter to decide if he really wants to go.

The question wasn't aimed at you really, just that l saw the "buy out clause" mentioned in your post, so l just went with it to give my post a bit of focus.

Sorry for the confusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here