Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

too big,too stong,too quick,too good

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Jesus guys. 3 nil up at half time without breaking sweat and a second half of energy preservation in preparation for our next domestic game at Arsenal. It was a stroll in the park today for us and your full team would still have lost easily. There is a huge gulf between us and the top 5 teams in the prem but the gulf between the 3rd div and any premiership team is colossal from what I saw today.

Your doing well this season but don't go getting above your station. You will find it very hard next season for a start if you go up and you are definitely a million miles from the prem still. You play nice football but it was ineffective today and you will need to be a lot stronger physically next season to compete.

Good luck anyway but crikey some of you are seriously thinking your up there with Barcelona and a reality check is seriously in order.
Some fair points there, but you're being a bit hard. We like to think we are (and maybe even really are) the Barcelona of the third division, but would all recognise that that's a lot different from being the real Barcelona! After all, we play against third division Stokes most of the time, and usually win.
Yes, of course you were favourites to win today - but surprises do happen in the FA Cup - and top of the third division against mid-table first division would be a bit of a nine days wonder, perhaps, but not the greatest ever FA Cup shock in the world................it didn't happen today, and yes, we're disappointed. Fair play to Tony Pulis and your players - they took us seriously; there was none of the casualness which higher teams sometimes display against lower league opposition.
Firstly, you came at us like a train - we should have been ready for that, and maybe even were - we're used to teams coming at us like a train after all, but obviously a Premiership train is bigger, better and faster than the usual third division train!
Secondly, we weren't at our sharpest early on - no excuses - maybe just one of those things, and also there's a bit of 'you didn't let us' about it too - and thirdly, the first two goals we conceded were a bit soft - our keeper didn't have his greatest ever day; two goals down, we were always on the back foot. I'm not saying we would have won, but it might not quite have been the 'stroll in the park' you described if it had still been 0-0 after thirty or forty minutes.
Fair enough, the best team won on the day (and I thought your third goal was pretty good) - and good luck to you for the rest of the season - it would be good to see another name on the Cup than just the usual suspects. But it's a bit harsh saying that we will struggle next season if we go up. We've already had good results against Championship teams, and I've no doubt Gus will know exactly what to do (and how to achieve it) to strengthen us in the summer. Of course we're not a Premiership team yet - but sorry you didn't see us at our best today either.

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
Brighton is a work in progress for Gus Poyet and the mid term report is definitely A+ so far and that is magnificent for the supporters especially after what you have been through for the last decade or so. Some of the comments however suggest some of you think you should be eating at the top table with the likes of Man U and Arsenal already and how dare little old Stoke should dirty your doorstep!

It's going very well guys so far and long may it continue for you but you climb a mountain you don't run up it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Brighton is a work in progress for Gus Poyet and the mid term report is definitely A+ so far and that is magnificent for the supporters especially after what you have been through for the last decade or so. Some of the comments however suggest some of you think you should be eating at the top table with the likes of Man U and Arsenal already and how dare little old Stoke should dirty your doorstep!

It's going very well guys so far and long may it continue for you but you climb a mountain you don't run up it.

I'd rather aspire to be eating at the top table than get there and find myself serving the drinks :thumbsup:

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
I'd rather aspire to be eating at the top table than get there and find myself serving the drinks :thumbsup:

So would I Clapham so would I! Reality is this however.....

When we made it to the promised land 3 seasons ago Man U had just purchased Berbatov for 30 million. That figure at the time represented more money than Stoke had spent in total on all transfers in their 140 year history. Aspiration is one thing, probability is another and the chances of a Stoke, Wigan, Bolton or Brighton being at the top table is virtually nil these days unless we suddenly inherit an Abramovich for a chairman. Until then we will have to serve the drinks knowing that we are at least at the party.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
i think we are deluding ourselves if we think the "first team" would have beaten stoke

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Totally agree Macky. We have gone through about 15 years of hell and next year that all changes. We want to be in the Championship and as such this year the FA Cup is nothing more than a distraction. What would you rather have, a place in the next round with a coupke of key players out injured long term or a fully fit team able to focus on the number 1 priority of getting us promotion?

This is what really annoys me about some fans views, What evedence is there that a cup run wont get us promoted with all our players staying fit and card free? What is saying that getting knocked out means that there is a 100% chance that we will go up??

Alot of people really do think its either the cup or the league, not both, or either!!!

Brighton fans should want the team to win every game, no matter if its a JPT game Vs Oxford, an FA Cup game Vs Man U or a League game Vs Southampton!!

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Second half i felt that we passed Stoke off the pitch, If we had tried to avoid the throwings and set peices we'd have been fine but we were giving silly throwings away which lead to the build up of the first goal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is what really annoys me about some fans views, What evedence is there that a cup run wont get us promoted with all our players staying fit and card free? What is saying that getting knocked out means that there is a 100% chance that we will go up??

Alot of people really do think its either the cup or the league, not both, or either!!!

Brighton fans should want the team to win every game, no matter if its a JPT game Vs Oxford, an FA Cup game Vs Man U or a League game Vs Southampton!!

Hear, hear!

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven

Abso - bloody - lutely

ps I am still fuming over our JPT exit!

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
too big,too stong,too quick,too good

Good summing up.Their closing down of space when we had the ball in the first half was fierce.

Stoke even passed it around well at times. I hope they go on to win it.

They are a good prem side and they were very committed and up for it yesterday. When that happens the lower league side is highly unlikely to win.

The second half was much better, though the horse had bolted, and the players should be better for the experience.

It's been a Cup run nonetheless and we haven't had one for a while.

Last edited:

seagullsoverlincoln

Jul 14, 2009
Totally agree.

We had no chance today against a big physical team like Stoke. They showed the gulf in speed, strength and fitness between the prem and league 1. They were well drilled in defence and we couldn't outsmart them when we had the ball. To be fair to us they never looked like scoring form open play, but looked like scoring from every single corner or long throw. I don't know what THPP is on about saying the 11 that won last week would've made any difference. We conceded 3 headers to a team where every player is over 6 foot and built like a brick shithouse. We're not very good at defending set pieces as it is, let alone the best team at set pieces in any division.

I never expected to win today but enjoyed seeing us knock it about in the 2nd half, even though deepdown I know Stoke took their foot off the gas.

To sum up - I enjoyed the day, we went out to a superior team and there's nothing to whinge about.

Yeah, sums up my thoughts as well

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
we knew what was coming but we were unable to deal with it fair enough.we showed that we can play a bit but we also showed that we lack power & pace.After conceeding 3 headed goals we had our fair share of possesion but lacked the strenth to push a big strong team backwards.Its fair to say that stoke took their foot off the gas after halftime & let us have the ball but we never looked like we were going to get back in the game.

this will be a big prob next season if we get to the championship

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
i think we are deluding ourselves if we think the "first team" would have beaten stoke

Quite frankly, this! We can make as many comments as we like about our style and their style, but Stoke are a proficient Premier League side and we are a good third division side. The difference was quite apparent yesterday. I doubt very much that Stoke will have had an easier win all season.

This is not to denigrate our team, but a statement about where we are at this moment in the development of this team. We showed against Pompey and Watford that we can hold our own against championship teams but Stoke not unsurprisingly showed that the gulf remains between the top tier and the third. Luckily for us we only have to contend with third division opponents week in week out, and they will not subject our game to the scrutiny that a prem team will. I would wager that some of those incomplete passes yesterday would have found their target against someone like Hartlepool, but Stoke just had the extra nous to snuff us out.

As for the team Battipiedi aside I thought it was a reasonably strong team Gus put out and if Wood was fit I suspect he would have started so I don't think that was too much of a factor.

You don't have to be a fan of Stoke's style to recognise that they were just too good for us yesterday. It wasn't a disasterous result, or indeed performance, in the end. In fact I think we could learn quite a bit from that game. The cup run was fun while it lasted and I'm now looking forward to Plymouth on tuesday.

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
on the plus side in my view played well in second half without full strength side. hopfully less vultures sniffing around our best players just a thought ;-)t

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
We never really wanted it very much, from the management down.

Crawley are currently showing what can be achieved. If you want it bad enough.

Complete rubbish. Stoke were the worst team we could have played. We would probably have managed better with a team like Manchester United who play football and aren't as physical. The Villa team we played last year were definitely better than this Stoke team and we are better now than we were then. The difference between the games is that we couldn't deal with Stoke's approach. Numerous Premier League clubs have struggled to do with it and I doubt we will meet any other teams with such a physical and effective approach if we go up so I am not too worried.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

I don't think any of our fans think we should be playing Manchester United or Arsenal or that you are "little old Stoke". However, you must admit your style isn't exactly great to watch. To be honest, the thing that irritated me was that in the second half when you were cruising your players still went through the back of Bennett twice when there was no chance of getting the ball and then also Pennant's lunge at Greer. These were all completely unnecessary when you were comfortably ahead and could have had a major impact on our season. If this is what you do when you are cruising against a League 1 side, I can definitely see what other Premier League managers complain about.

As it is, I am happy to come away from Stoke without losing by too many and with no suspensions or injuries. I am also delighted not to have to go back to Stoke again for a while.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We had no chance today against a big physical team like Stoke. They showed the gulf in speed, strength and fitness between the prem and league 1. They were well drilled in defence and we couldn't outsmart them when we had the ball. To be fair to us they never looked like scoring form open play, but looked like scoring from every single corner or long throw. I don't know what THPP is on about saying the 11 that won last week would've made any difference. We conceded 3 headers to a team where every player is over 6 foot and built like a brick shithouse. We're not very good at defending set pieces as it is, let alone the best team at set pieces in any division.

I never expected to win today but enjoyed seeing us knock it about in the 2nd half, even though deepdown I know Stoke took their foot off the gas.

To sum up - I enjoyed the day, we went out to a superior team and there's nothing to whinge about.
Poyet made a comment at the beginning of the season about the JPT (with which many agreed) but some of our fans think it applies to every cup competition. Both Brez and Elphick have been unlucky to lose their places in the first team, so have been given chances in the cup. Against two Championship sides they weren't shown up, but now because we lost to a Prem side, all of a sudden it's because the management weren't bothered?? We had a great day out at Villa last year and still lost.
Poyet had litte choice with his midfield yesterday due to injuries and other factors, so the fact that Battipiedi played isn't a sign of him 'not wanting it'
I enjoyed the day and can smile at work tomorrow knowing the Albion went further in the cup than Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea.

Albion Rob

I think the thread title is a fair summing up of yesterday. Although we've got some excellent players at this level, I don't think anyone really thinks even our current best eleven would line up for us in the Premier League in the next three or four years.

It's a shame we didn't put our best side out as I think we would have given a much better account of ourselves but let's not get all 'Aston Villa' about this who bitched like mad when they lost in the UEFA Cup with a weakened side and the feeling from Villa fans I know was that the negativity from the stands made the players nervous and they ballsed up their run at fourth place.

All the players who have been involved in this cup run (especially from the third round onwards) will have benefitted from the experience and it's good to know that even if Premier League sides are a bit much for us at the moment we can hold our own and even dominate middling Championship sides - the same results again Pompey and Watford next season would mean six welcome points.

As ever when I've seen the Albion against a Prem side we've always looked a bit slower and a bit easily knocked off the ball as well as not being quite as good at 'winning' free kicks or easing people off the ball without conceding one. Not to worry, it will come - if we can propsper next season we'll be in the market for bigger, stronger and quicker players ourselves.

It's worth bearing in mind that when Stoke got their new ground they went down from the Championship, spent a couple of years at our level now then went back up, survived for a few years, built an effective side and won promotion. They don't play pretty football but the broader blueprint of consolidating and buying the best players possible for a given style should be what we work towards.

And wouldn't we all take being mid table in the Premier League and into the quarter finals of the cup at the expense of the League One leaders in five years' time.

We're on the cusp of exciting times friends....

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove

Totally agree
The mentality of 'concentrate on the league' is a relatively new concept over the whole scheme of things
It has gradually been creeping in since the likes of Arsenal and Man Utd have devalued the League Cup in playing weaker sides and unfortunately this idea has now been filtering throughout the leagues and not just the top clubs
I cannot believe that for a club of our status people are saying 'i'm glad we lost so we can concentrate on the league'
This mentality needs to be got rid quick, we do not want to be seen riding above our station and us as fans should be pigsick when we lose any game
Gus always puts out a side that he thinks will win the game and yesterday was no exception

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
But Gus made no effort to change the playing style to combat Stoke. This was a clear message that he wasn't setting out to win the game.
Ridiculous comments from Tommy Elphick, that we were going to ' out-football ' them only demonstrated naivety. Fans who travelled up there expecting to win, were delusional at best.
No-one seemed to mention our appalling record at the Britannia and the fact that it was the worst possible draw of all.
Goliath beat up David very easily and its obvious the Management aren't going to lose any sleep over it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here