Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Grealish

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I wish his memory no I’ll will But he was an inferior replacement for Brian Horton who I regard as the greatest Albion player in my time as an Albion supporter
Agree. Nobby went off to Luton and was very successful
But loved Paddy too

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
May have been Tony Millard or Ron Pavey, not sure, but I was at the Goldstone to talk through joining some supporters club membership (forget exactly what it was) on the day Case was transferred to Saints. I was told that it was ideal for Albion that he had been offloaded…as his legs had gone :lolol:
That was the official line, but by Jimmy’s own admission it was more to do with his ‘extended social life’ in the City with some of Brighton and Hove’s more colourful characters.

Steve Rooke later told me a line was allegedly crossed, Chris Cattlin went to the board and said ‘He’s out, if I can find a club that will take him’, and Lawrie Mac stepped in.

For all his various peccadilloes Tony Millard’s book would have been dynamite.

Remember getting to Wembley in 1983 and finding large swathes of United fans in the lower tier of the tunnel end?

Allegedly down to Jimmy Melia, via some of the aforementioned colourful characters, shipping out 500 £5 terrace tickets on the black market in Manchester.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I wish his memory no I’ll will But he was an inferior replacement for Brian Horton who I regard as the greatest Albion player in my time as an Albion supporter
Nobby’s shoes were very hard to fill.
He was certainly the driving force of that team which then was the greatest side we had ever had.
Mullery and Horton together were an incredible force of nature.
I personally don’t think Nobby was our greatest ever player, but in my view was the greatest captain and leader on the pitch we have ever had.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Nobby’s shoes were very hard to fill.
He was certainly the driving force of that team which then was the greatest side we had ever had.
Mullery and Horton together were an incredible force of nature.
I personally don’t think Nobby was our greatest ever player, but in my view was the greatest captain and leader on the pitch we have ever had.
Did Horton leave before Mullery in the summer of 81 or after?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
May have been Tony Millard or Ron Pavey, not sure, but I was at the Goldstone to talk through joining some supporters club membership (forget exactly what it was) on the day Case was transferred to Saints. I was told that it was ideal for Albion that he had been offloaded…as his legs had gone :lolol:
Genuinely, I recall being gutted, then watched him run games for them for years to come :(.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Case was the ultimate centre midfielder for us, hard as nails, yet a great player. Once we (yet another financial crisis) dispensed with him, he went on to be Stains best player for 6 years. In the top flight!
I think the amount of excellent players we were forced to sell for peanuts due to various finanacial crisises, would form a great team in their own right,

Starting from Mark Beeney in the number 1 shirt, right the way through to Dean Saunders wearing number 11. Probably a player for every position in between.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Cant remember For sure but think Mullery went first and then Nobby.
Bailey wanted a new leader in midfield and brought in Grealish. Decent player but not a patch on Nobby IMHO.
It is about opinions, Nobby was great for us but IMHO Paddy, unfortunately all too briefly, took us to the next level.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I'm 58 now, just makes you realise how young he died, great player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here