Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Tony Clarkin RIP

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They were the first proper live band I ever saw. Eastbourne Winter Gardens way back on A Story Tellers Night tour.

RIP.

Jul 7, 2003
Plenty of Magnum being played on Planet Rock this morning. Saw them live a few times, always very good.

I'd read Tony was unwell and they had postponed the upcoming tour. New album is due out on Friday so hopefully it will be a suitable last note in a long musical career.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Plenty of Magnum being played on Planet Rock this morning. Saw them live a few times, always very good.

I'd read Tony was unwell and they had postponed the upcoming tour. New album is due out on Friday so hopefully it will be a suitable last note in a long musical career.
I'm listening to On A Story Teller's Night......I think for the first time in 40 years or so.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
He and the rest of Magnum gave me a great deal of pleasure on record and seeing them live many times in the late 80’s and early 90’s
I am so out of touch that I was confused as to which Magnum PI actor this was about, and why you mentioned recording it :rolleyes:

It was the next few posts that enlightened me.

RIP, even though I have no idea who he is.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Magnum rocked... one of the first 'older' classic bands that I found during the musical lows of the awful brit pop infested 90s... I'll never forget the first time I cranked out the Spirit... oh yes I thought, this ROCKS...

Rip Tony :(

loved his sense of melody 'in rock' I realise they were never a truly 'big' band but they recorded some pretty cool tunes and straddled that olde fantasy lyricism world I so adore.

I'm off to listen to Chase the Dragon... love that album.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
They were the first proper live band I ever saw. Eastbourne Winter Gardens way back on A Story Tellers Night tour.

RIP.
I saw the second UK leg of that tour when they played Worthing later in 1985. Also the Vigilante tour that followed.
I'm listening to On A Story Teller's Night......I think for the first time in 40 years or so.
Always loved that album - so many great tracks. I've also got one called The River Sessions which is a live album recorded for BBC Glasgow just as Storyteller's Night came out so has early live versions of those songs plus others.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1985 FA Cup Final day? I was there too.
Possibly. Cannot remember. A while ago a friend unearthed a photo of us outside the venue.....lots of denim and I am sporting shaggy long hair :lol:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Magnum rocked... one of the first 'older' classic bands that I found during the musical lows of the awful brit pop infested 90s... I'll never forget the first time I cranked out the Spirit... oh yes I thought, this ROCKS...

Rip Tony :(

loved his sense of melody 'in rock' I realise they were never a truly 'big' band but they recorded some pretty cool tunes and straddled that olde fantasy lyricism world I so adore.

I'm off to listen to Chase the Dragon... love that album.
True. Given the quality of their music they were underated; only had very moderate success in the 80s. Crucially they were able to make a living from music....that's the dream right?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
True. Given the quality of their music they were underated; only had very moderate success in the 80s. Crucially they were able to make a living from music....that's the dream right?
To be fair, I think it's about as good as it gets for most musicians... fame and fortune aside, which leads to a well trodden path of implosion, and isolation... being in a jobbing (but brilliant) band who are adored by a smallish number of loyal fans surely is THE sustainable dream ?

longevity, usually not falling out massively with your fellow band members... not being a 'superstar' producing art that your fans love and being able to walk down the street whilst not being bothered whilst earning a decent living doing something you utterly love... man, what a life.

And... sharing a beer with your fans and it being okay to do just that.

Rock on :)

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Oh dear, very sad news.loved Magnum growing up. Saw them a few times and to this day the Goodnight LA tour at Wembley Arena is the loudest concert I've ever been too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here