Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Perhaps there’ll be additional money from player sales, even if we have to take a hit on fees paid?

I think a lot of people are hugely over-estimating the money we'd get for players we don't want any more! And a lot of the clubs that might want them at a knock down price wouldn't want to pay the wages they're currently getting, so we'd still be stuck with them.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We need 2 amazing players who are a step above our current very solid, average, uniform, boring squad. They could be in any position pretty much as long as they have pace and are an upgrade on day 1. That will cost wages though and there possibly lies the most important point.

Totally agree, except I would specify CMs. That's the position from which they can make the whole team tick.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think a lot of people are hugely over-estimating the money we'd get for players we don't want any more! And a lot of the clubs that might want them at a knock down price wouldn't want to pay the wages they're currently getting, so we'd still be stuck with them.

Yes we have to accept that a lot of them won't get that much.

Very hypothetical, but take AJ, Locadia and Izquierdo as examples......

Given what we paid, I reckon we'd do well to get £9m for Locadia and a similar amount for AJ and arguably less for Izquierdo.

Not saying any of these are going to leave just using as examples.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I don’t, but it would be something to add to the huge new slug of broadcasting income.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes we have to accept that a lot of them won't get that much.

Very hypothetical, but take AJ, Locadia and Izquierdo as examples......

Given what we paid, I reckon we'd do well to get £9m for Locadia and a similar amount for AJ and arguably less for Izquierdo.

Not saying any of these are going to leave just using as examples.
We are, in general, in agreement here. I do think your prices are very optimistic though.

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I want Hughton to stay and work with 5 or 6 new players. But boy my faith was tested in the first half, he got the selection badly wrong again and didn't seem to know what he was doing with his baffling formation switches.

The better players he left out saved his arse in the second half, that wasn't a brilliant plan but luck we took one of our precious few chances, otherwise this place would be in meltdown.

I want Chris to stay but there will need to be a transformation otherwise he will need to be replaced. I think he's on notice
So you want CH to stay, but do things differently. I think that is unlikely to happen. And it's tantamount to saying you don't really want CH to stay.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Think we are missing a trick with the loan market. Practically every other team has loan players particularly Leicester, Everton and even Chelsea! Maybe Dan Ashworth can improve this part?

Silk

May 4, 2012
Uckfield
I just don’t think Tony is the type to sack CH. I think he will stick with him. But we need some excellent signings with or without a new manager!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He didn't even sack Hyypia.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Think we are missing a trick with the loan market. Practically every other team has loan players particularly Leicester, Everton and even Chelsea! Maybe Dan Ashworth can improve this part?

Possibly. And I know many of our permanant signings haven't exactly worked out this year for one reason or another, but on principle I hate having loan players.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
We don't need a change of manager: what we do need is a squad overhaul and a change in recruitment policy.
The gambles worked first season; this year they have not.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
CH is a very good Championship manager like many they get found out in the PL the first season is often riding on a crest of a wave after promotion, second season is reality. Once the top clubs work out how to play Wolves next season they will be dire. This season I think there their approach was it’s only Wolves from the championship another manager will be found out.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Copying this from another thread...

I assume that TB and the board have a long term strategy.

The first two years in the Prem - stay up, don't spend too much money, don't take too many risks, get the finances on an even keel after years of being propped up by TB.

For all of this, Chris Hughton is the right man for the job. However he has a contract until 2021.

After two years of Premier League cash, I would like to think that for the third/fourth years he will be given the money to buy better players. Hopefully this will lead to more positive exciting football and a better placing in the league.

If he isn't capable of achieving this, I imagine the board will say "thanks for keeping us up Chris" and look elsewhere pretty sharpish, and certainly before relegation looks like a possibility.

That's what I think/hope anyway

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Listening to Sidwell on BTSport after the game yesterday he seemed to hint that Dan Ashworth will be devising a top to bottom approach in terms of formation , tactics & style to give Brighton an identity for all the various squads (first , U23 , U18 & U16) for the future.

It was also said that "could" mean a change in management & philosophy adopted by the coaching staff to achieve. It was suggested Ashworth has so far been reviewing the current situation before action is taken which I suspect means a three way meeting of TB PB & DA to decide on the future direction.

All supposition of course and could have no bearing on reality.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here