Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
Would be interesting to know what Tony thinks of our progress or lack of it so far. I haven't seen any statements attributed to him so far. I can't remember any mention with regard to where he thinks we should be now with Gus at the helm.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Impossible to judge progress this season with 17 games to go. We could still end up relegated or promoted.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
I think he may have been slightly busy playing poker in Aussie the last few weeks.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
We finished 10th in our debut season in the championship under Bloom and we look like finishing higher this season. If that's not progress I don't know what is? That said, I'd be pissed off if Gus was wasting my money on players he is not going to play

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Bloom has been swift with his decisions overall. Brown. Slade.

Lack of progress would suggest that football is black and white. Have we lacked progress? Maybe Bloom is of the understanding that Rome was not built in a day.

He's backing his man, so I reckon he is feeling a little bit more positive than some of our support.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Would be interesting to know what Tony thinks of our progress or lack of it so far. I haven't seen any statements attributed to him so far. I can't remember any mention with regard to where he thinks we should be now with Gus at the helm.

What I am more interested to hear is what YOU think about things.

Please, share.

MACROBLUE

Jul 9, 2011
What I am more interested to hear is what YOU think about things.

Please, share.

I think we are doing very well considering what other clubs are able to spend. With regards to Gus I think he will really come into his own when we start getting the players coming through from our academy and this is what Tony is thinking as well, young manager, good ideas and a good future. If we get promotion within five years I will be happy.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde

Lack of it? When Gus took over 3 years ago, we were in a relegation battle in league 1. Now we're chasing the playoffs in the Championship. Lack of progress!? Unbelievable.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Lack of it? When Gus took over 3 years ago, we were in a relegation battle in league 1. Now we're chasing the playoffs in the Championship. Lack of progress!? Unbelievable.

It is isn't it. Some people are totally bonkers

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
We're are currently 8th & finished 10th last season,season before we won league 1 & season before that we finished lower mid table so what should tony bloom be worried about.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Bloom:

Bloom told BBC Sussex: "There are funds to strengthen and I think we will be pretty competitive again.
"The budget is going to be similar, maybe slightly higher. I think we'll improve again and hopefully we'll be fighting for a top-six spot."
He added: "The teams coming down from the Premier League have got an advantage, because of their parachute payments.
"But outside of those clubs and one or two others, we'll be extremely competitive."

I'd say we're almost spot on to where it sounds like he expected us to be.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Firstly Tony Bloom is an Albion fan so inevitably he will be feeling the highs and lows of this season. We are currently 8th so still in contention and no need to panic but like the rest of us it is obvious that the clock is now ticking with no real room for error if are to move into the play off places.

As owner / Chairman I guess he will be looking for continual improvement as we progress through the 5 year plan. It can be argued that we are just about on track, but with the odd wobble. Clearly like any of us he will be hoping for a stronger and more consistent performance but also mindful of our rapid ascent. He cannot be criticised for a lack of investment on or off the pitch. He has just backed Poyet with a £2m striker and a similar amount offered for VVD. Presumably the funds for the latter are still available. Plus we haven't offloaded any key players to fund that. Even so we cannot compete with Clubs that enjoy the parachute payments, so we cannot spray money about and have to use our precious budget wisely. Tony also has to keep the £8m losses under control.

I guess it would be easy to throw money around in a desperate 's**t or bust' manner to gain promotion before the FFP rules take effect but I'm glad Mr Bloom isn't one of those. Being a 3rd generation Albion fan and having had the Boardroom perspective since he was a little lad he isn't a JCL here today/gone tomorrow chairman and will be acutely aware of our painful history and not to put our existence at risk.

Working with some restraint I think he has given Gus the tools to do the job so it will be interesting to see what happens if we remain in the Championship next season. It won't be a disaster but I do think Gus's position would be in question if we are in a similar position this time next year. Of course that assumes Gus hasn't moved elsewhere in the meantime.

That we even have to speculate what Tony Bloom's feelings are is a reflection of his discrete business style, for which I am grateful. He lets his actions do the talking (The Amex and the training ground are massive personal commitments). He doesn't do his dirty washing in public, unlike some other classless Club Chairmen. Long may Tony reign.

Firstly Tony Bloom is an Albion fan so inevitably he will be feeling the highs and lows of this season. We are currently 8th so still in contention and no need to panic but like the rest of us it is obvious that the clock is now ticking with no real room for error if are to move into the play off places.

As owner / Chairman I guess he will be looking for continual improvement as we progress through the 5 year plan. It can be argued that we are just about on track, but with the odd wobble. Clearly like any of us he will be hoping for a stronger and more consistent performance but also mindful of our rapid ascent. He cannot be criticised for a lack of investment on or off the pitch. He has just backed Poyet with a £2m striker and a similar amount offered for VVD. Presumably the funds for the latter are still available. Plus we haven't offloaded any key players to fund that. Even so we cannot compete with Clubs that enjoy the parachute payments, so we cannot spray money about and have to use our precious budget wisely. Tony also has to keep the £8m losses under control.

I guess it would be easy to throw money around in a desperate 's**t or bust' manner to gain promotion before the FFP rules take effect but I'm glad Mr Bloom isn't one of those. Being a 3rd generation Albion fan and having had the Boardroom perspective since he was a little lad he isn't a JCL here today/gone tomorrow chairman and will be acutely aware of our painful history and not to put our existence at risk.

Working with some restraint I think he has given Gus the tools to do the job so it will be interesting to see what happens if we remain in the Championship next season. It won't be a disaster but I do think Gus's position would be in question if we are in a similar position this time next year. Of course that assumes Gus hasn't moved elsewhere in the meantime.

That we even have to speculate what Tony Bloom's feelings are is a reflection of his discrete business style, for which I am grateful. He lets his actions do the talking (The Amex and the training ground are massive personal commitments). He doesn't do his dirty washing in public, unlike some other classless Club Chairmen. Long may Tony reign.

Spot on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Thankfully Tony Bloom seems to have more brains and football knowledge than about 80% of the people on here added together, so I imagine Gus is fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here