Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom on the 2023 Sunday Times Rich List

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We’ve had this debate before (probably every year :lolol: ). The list is mostly guesswork……..when I worked in private banking we had several clients who were on the list. The numbers were invariably laughably inaccurate.

I don’t know anything about the Bloom wealth specifically, but many like him keep the vast majority very private and structured so it remains that way - there is no way some intern working at The Times is going to have a scooby about it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We’ve had this debate before (probably every year :lolol: ). The list is mostly guesswork……..when I worked in private banking we had several clients who were on the list. The numbers were invariably laughably inaccurate.

I don’t know anything about the Bloom wealth specifically, but many like him keep the vast majority very private and structured so it remains that way - there is no way some intern working at The Times is going to have a scooby about it.
Yup, this. If the true extent of TB's wealth were in the public domain, some dullard would 'of' unearthed it by now

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
How do they get the info to come up with this figure or is it guesswork. Dont think he is even named as a director on Star Lizard public details

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How do they get the info to come up with this figure or is it guesswork. Dont think he is even named as a director on Star Lizard public details
Varies from person to person…..some are easy to come up with numbers for (companies that have gone public so shareholdings can be easily valued etc), others they dig around various sources - a quick google will show various numbers for Bloom, none of which are anywhere near what they’re using. In their own words :

The Sunday Times Rich List 2023 is based on our estimates of the minimum wealth of Britain’s 350 richest people or families. The valuations were carried out between February 1 and May 1, 2023.

The compilers of the Rich List measure identifiable wealth, whether land, property, racehorses, art or significant shares in publicly quoted companies. We exclude bank accounts to which we have no access and small shareholdings in a private equity portfolio. The actual size of their fortunes may be much larger than our conservative figures.

We remain cautious regarding liabilities. Where companies have been involved in talks with banks over debt levels, we have cut the owners or large stakeholders out of the list until the situation is resolved. Where profits and assets

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Wonder what it's like to nip to the cash point to get a tenner out for your 4 cans of Kestrel and when it says do you want to see your balance you see 500 million sitting there! I'd be buggered if I'd take out the tenner i wouldn't be a half billionaire anymore.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If TB is worth £500m having spent £500m on the Albion.
TB has exactly the same financial accum as me with regard to cooked breakfasts.

It's unlikely me and Mr Bloom have any financial common ground.
(…”cooked breakfasts”) Genuinely made me LOL! Priceless comment, NSC at its very best. Cheers SB, you’ve made me laugh so many times on here - never change SB, never change!! :)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where someone has interests overseas and owns a load of real estate in this country, The Sunday Times and Forbes will never have the foggiest.

They would not have the resources or access, to be able to quantify privates assets where not listed company shares.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The majority of people on that list are only on it because they want to be, with far richer people not appearing at all if they don't want to. Which is why TB hasn't been on there before IIRC (or seeing re-entry, maybe once or twice) despite being way beyond the criteria for years.

Unfortunately, with the rise of the Albion, some junior has obviously said 'well I read that Tony Bloom has spent £250M on Brighton' and someone slightly less junior has replied 'well if that's public knowledge, better stick him in there then, say £500M'. It's just a long list of wild guesses.

If you've got properties, businesses and investments, chances are you don't know how much you're worth. There is no way that TB knows, let alone the Sunday Times :lolol:

:goal:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I suspect that a significant proportion of the population couldn't tell you their net worth.

Me and Mrs Wz have one property which we bought 30 years ago. It's probably doubled in size but we've never had it valued. We have a couple of pensions, a fair number of investments which I actually review regularly, interests in two businesses and some bits and pieces (classic car, vintage musical instruments, watches, a few bits of jewellery etc none of which we've ever had valued).

I'm fairly confident I could guess our net worth to within 20% either way. There is no way that TB would be able to estimate his net worth with that sort of accuracy :lolol:

I guess I'll find out when I die :wink:

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I suspect that a significant proportion of the population couldn't tell you their net worth.

Me and Mrs Wz have one property which we bought 30 years ago. It's probably doubled in size but we've never had it valued. We have a couple of pensions, a fair number of investments which I actually review regularly, interests in two businesses and some bits and pieces (classic car, vintage musical instruments, watches, a few bits of jewellery etc none of which we've ever had valued).

I'm fairly confident I could guess our net worth to within 20% either way. There is no way that TB would be able to estimate his net worth with that sort of accuracy :lolol:

Comparing my mortgage, bank balance (i.e. overdraft), and approximate current house value, I feel confident at placing my current worth at....
£0.
On the plus side, I think my work pays some money out if I'm killed, so that's something.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Comparing my mortgage, bank balance (i.e. overdraft), and approximate current house value, I feel confident at placing my current worth at....
£0.
On the plus side, I think my work pays some money out if I'm killed, so that's something.
When I was working, I was worth waaay more dead than alive. Luckily Mrs Wz never found out :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I’m not into getting home valuations (although Mrs.W has wasted agents time before), this is probably our home for good. We do get an idea because one side us, not our doing :lolol: , keeps being sold. Should we live here, touch wood, for many more decades … its value is meaningless.

We possibly could’ve bought a cheap BTL at some stage and quintupled that asset value. But as Midge Ure said, no regrets. By friends/clients who did have made a packet, but loath the conveyor belt of repairs and other issues.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I would say to "invest" £500m in a football club money pit you must comfortably have started with £2bn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here