Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Bloom at the station yesterday after the match

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I too was impressed with CMS when I watched him a couple of times on SKY when we was playing in League 1, and like most was really happy when we signed him, and the start was good, as it tends to be when a player joins a new club. But to me it proves two things:
1 Buying a player is one thing but getting them to fit in is another. It is and has never been an exact science, as there are so many things to consider; those playing alongside/ is the family happy in new surroundings/ does he get on with the manager/injury problems/distractions from agents etc etc
2 I don't notice it so much now after 4 seasons, but when we first went up, I was astonished at the difference in class in the Championship - the crisp passing in particular. Thus it is a risky strategy going into lower leagues, as success there does not necessarily guarantee similar performances in the Championship.
Perhaps this brings me back to the first point - CMS and Callum Wilson!

Agree about the Championship being light years above League One.

Every team, including the likes of lowly Rotherham, appear to have two tall, strong, not-slow, calm, positionally excellent centre-halves, who are completely unflustered by the huffing and puffing of League One quality strikers such as CMS.

For strikers to thrive at Championship level, they must be naturally good footballers to start with and have strength and/or tenacity not to get bullied out of games. In these four years, other than both Ulloa and Barnes in some games, we really haven't cracked the striker problem.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
For strikers to thrive at Championship level, they must be naturally good footballers to start with and have strength and/or tenacity not to get bullied out of games. In these four years, other than both Ulloa and Barnes in some games, we really haven't cracked the striker problem.

I think your analysis is spot on. We did crack the problem though, but let him go to Palace for nothing.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Albion Fan "Any chance of buying us a drink Tony, I'm skint"

TB "Sorry mate I'm skint too"

Sounds as if we're in for a close season of cast offs, ne'er do wells and dreaming of the glory days when we had Chris Holroyd.

You're no poker player are you....rule no 1 is to try to disguise your hand

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is rather amusing that he choses to travel to games on his own on a train rather than with other directors or come home on the team bus as Harry Bloom did or even fly home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is rather amusing that he choses to travel to games on his own on a train rather than with other directors or come home on the team bus as Harry Bloom did or even fly home.

He doesn't come back to Brighton as far as I know. I think it's north London.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He doesn't come back to Brighton as far as I know. I think it's north London.

This has happened in the past and people were dropped off at a station en route. Years ago before the M25 the coach used to come off the MI and go to Brighton via Shepherds Bush and they always stopped in the square at a take away and those living in London not going to Brighton caught a tube.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Maybe they should keep re-running replays of the match as some sort of punishment

I heard a story about the team bus on the way back from Wolves when we'd drawn 3-3. Normally, the team choose a film that they want to watch, but Poyet put Peppa Pig on because he said, 'If you play like children, you watch a children's film'.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Is it? So why coming home from a cup tie at Old Trafford was my brother sat next to Gary Chivers on a flight to LHR as both had to get home quickly, brother to work at BA and Gary to attend a function.
That must have been a VERY long time ago. Manchester to London is 2 hours 8 min and a train every 20 mins.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Seriously!

I thought everyone could see after less than the first half of the first game that it was a terrible mistake.

I cannot believe that anyone watched him for even a few games before signing him.

I think he just came up, we knew West Ham were after him and we just plunged in blindly. He was probably aware of his own limitations which is why he plumped for us in favour of West Ham where he would get found out.

Leicester too as i recall

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

He had heard what had happened to Bas Savage and wanted to make sure he got home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here