Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's referee

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bearing in mind the relative positions, and the fixture on Saturday, IF I was a Hudds fan I'd want an Albion win tonight.
You might be able to argue the case both ways. Not sure it'll make much difference tbh,
Not really.

We are ahead, so they will need more points to catch US.

They don't play us again, so can't directly influence our results, but they do play NUFC on Saturday... if Newcastle lost tonight, and Hudds beat them on Saturday they will only be 2 points behind Newcastle with a game in hand. Catchable.
That's if they beat Newcastle on Saturday. I don't think it's an easy call for them. Newcastle are still favourites for the title, so maybe there's more chance of Huddersfield catching us, and they'd want us to lose. I agree with Biscuit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Decent ref I think but a stupid choice. Why do they open themselves up to criticism with appointments like this? If he contentiously sends off a Newcastle player who'll then be suspended against Huddersfield, their fans will be up in arms - and understandably so.
The FA have already agreed that any red cards against Newcastle will be overturned. The ref will have to go for 2 yellows to get away with it.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
The FA have already agreed that any red cards against Newcastle will be overturned. The ref will have to go for 2 yellows to get away with it.

You say that, but actually yellow cards CAN be appealed - though only for a case of mistaken identity.

Thus Shelvey's second yellow will be rescinded and correctly attributed to Karl Darlow or Christian Atsu.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You say that, but actually yellow cards CAN be appealed - though only for a case of mistaken identity.

Thus Shelvey's second yellow will be rescinded and correctly attributed to Karl Darlow or Christian Atsu.
Or Lewis Dunk.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Or Lewis Dunk.
or one of the subs still on the bench

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Could it rebound on us by him showing that he is not influenced by Saturdays game and giving everything to Newcastle?

Precisely. He will know that any decision which negatively affects Newcastle next time out has the potential to be highlighted. It's human nature to be influenced by that if the call is marginal, so Newcastle may be allowed more leeway than usual.

I don't think he'll set out to be biased against us in any way but, even sub-consciously, the scenario may have an effect. In the same way that sometimes a ref will rule out a controversial goal in a situation where they know that will create less of a storm than allowing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here