Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight's international football

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Pretending to be injured when the opponents are attacking and well on top to stop the game is cheating in my eyes

He had the ball and went down - who knows if he 'felt' something. He wasn't diving for a foul - no one was near him. The game wasn't stopped.

He has dived a fair bit over the years, but has also been the target of the hatchet men around the world. He may be a fairly obnoxious individual, he certainly comes across as very arrogant (and it would be hard not to be).

But he is just superb, and to dismiss him as a cheat is simplistic and a little sad - you are missing out on enjoying someone who plays football as well as it has ever been played.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
He had the ball and went down - who knows if he 'felt' something. He wasn't diving for a foul - no one was near him. The game wasn't stopped.

He has dived a fair bit over the years, but has also been the target of the hatchet men around the world. He may be a fairly obnoxious individual, he certainly comes across as very arrogant (and it would be hard not to be).

But he is just superb, and to dismiss him as a cheat is simplistic and a little sad - you are missing out on enjoying someone who plays football as well as it has ever been played.

I agree but the sad thing is that within 2 minutes of collapsing clutching his ankle he sprinted away from the defence to score...............and then repeated it 5 mins later.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I agree but the sad thing is that within 2 minutes of collapsing clutching his ankle he sprinted away from the defence to score...............and then repeated it 5 mins later.

Both brilliant and stunning goals.

But when he went down, the game was not stopped! Nothing happened that benefitted Portugal!

Also, you can 'tweak' your ankle in a way that feels very painful for a short time, and then recover. He seemed to give it a twinge when missing a shot in the first half. Could be as innocent as that.

His performance tonight needs to be remembered for its brilliance, not because he fell over ance, and perhaps made a bit of a meal of it.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Final whistle - France through after a 3-0 win.

Magnificent performance by the French when all is said and done. Midfield three of Cabaye, Pogba and Matuidi were outstanding. Even Benzema looked interested.

If France actually played with that intensity more regularly, they'd be one of the best sides in Brazil.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
And I watched [in amazement I might add] JAPAN take BELGIUM to the cleaners 3-2 a cracking game and J performance.

Don't forget that on Friday they also came back from 2-0 against THE DUTCH and had them on the ropes in the last 10 for the winner.

I just came back from lunch with a load of high school kids who were pretty confident in their team's ability to see off England should the two teams meet next summer.

And it was kind of hard to argue against them on the back of the last two results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here