Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tonight - England vs. Egypt - ITV - 8.00pm

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Tutankhamun

Based on that game, there will have to be more than Tutankhamun (2 to come in) to be able to get anywhere near winning the WC.
:facepalm:

If we only two more good players we would win the World Cup ???

If we only seven more quality players we would win League One. The five ones that are OK are Murray, Crofts, Calderon, Elphick, Bennett ??? Perhaps Lua lua if he is not just temporary.

You choose ???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Was Gerrard actually told to wander around getting in everyone elses way and leave Baines completely exposed all the time? Milner in on the left, Gerrard drops to the bench.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd have put Gerrard on the right with Lennon injured and the other two looking out of form and played Milner on the left

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Indeed. And Crouch can hold the ball up and works hard, two things i've never seen Defoe do.

Defoe does work hard, it is just in a different way to Crouch. He is always looking for runs beyond the last defender whereas Crouch drops deep from time to time. My feeling is that Crouch will always do well against African and South American teams as they are not used to facing that kind of player. Against the top European sides he will not do so well.

Defoe on the other hand is still useful against certain teams, especially those with slower centre backs. It is also worth noting that Egypt played three centre backs where Crouch's play keeping possession was likely to be more useful.

All that said I would probably start with Crouch now, saving Defoe's pace to come off the bench.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Defoe does work hard, it is just in a different way to Crouch. He is always looking for runs beyond the last defender whereas Crouch drops deep from time to time. My feeling is that Crouch will always do well against African and South American teams as they are not used to facing that kind of player. Against the top European sides he will not do so well.

Defoe on the other hand is still useful against certain teams, especially those with slower centre backs. It is also worth noting that Egypt played three centre backs where Crouch's play keeping possession was likely to be more useful.

All that said I would probably start with Crouch now, saving Defoe's pace to come off the bench.

I was probably doing a slight disservice. He'd definetely be the back-up striker but i'd have Crouch(or Heskey) starting as I think you'll get the best out of Rooney and the other attacking players with them up front

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
You have to start Crouch or Heskey as they can create space for Rooney. Defoe doesn't draw defenders to him as well as the big lads.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I know we all tend to have our own hobby-horses - but how many times does Wright-Phillips lose possession ? I am not talking about if he is attacking a defender who makes a good tackle - but mis-control, mis-passing, and getting pushed off the ball. We can't afford it Shaun mate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I know we all tend to have our own hobby-horses - but how many times does Wright-Phillips lose possession ? I am not talking about if he is attacking a defender who makes a good tackle - but mis-control, mis-passing, and getting pushed off the ball. We can't afford it Shaun mate.
I tend to agree. We'd better pray that Walcott and/or Lennon are capable of playing to their max by the time the WC comes around. I've never been convinced by SWP in an England shirt, but as things stand I think he's going to be in the squad by default.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Loss of possession was a problem for everybody last night and is something that needs to be worked on. The amount of times our sloppy passing (Wes Brown), running into trouble (Walcott, SWP, Gerrard) and trying stupid tricks (Gerrard) cost us the ball was worrying.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
You have to start Crouch or Heskey as they can create space for Rooney. Defoe doesn't draw defenders to him as well as the big lads.

spot on - one target man alongside rooney, and if you need a goal you chuck on defoe with 20 minutes to go

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For those 20 minutes, Owen would be a better option.
I agree, but he needs game time to prove it.

Anyway, maybe this obsession with a big target man is misplaced. I know Rooney/Heskey worked in qualifying, but Rooney has played up front on his own and with quick wide players feeding him at club level, and doesn't look any less effective. I think Capello might want to look at striking options for when Rooney is actually unavailable to play. Rooney is our one world class player IMO, but is prone to being booked/sent off. If this happens, where are the goals coming from in the next game?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There were some interesting stats somewhere last night.

I think this is how it goes...

Defoe has failed to score in the seven starts whilst playing alongside Rooney. He has scored five in seven when not with Rooney... possibly. I can't find the 'as it happened' part of the match on the BBC.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I agree, but he needs game time to prove it.

Anyway, maybe this obsession with a big target man is misplaced. I know Rooney/Heskey worked in qualifying, but Rooney has played up front on his own and with quick wide players feeding him at club level, and doesn't look any less effective. I think Capello might want to look at striking options for when Rooney is actually unavailable to play. Rooney is our one world class player IMO, but is prone to being booked/sent off. If this happens, where are the goals coming from in the next game?

i too agree about owen - if he gets fit in the next two months

defoe and crouch would be what i would do should rooney be unavailable - they're a ready made partnership through playing together at spurs, and if lennon is fit to be supplying them with the chances then we may not miss rooney as much as first though

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mellotron not about, today?

Yup. Agreed with most statements. Last night's game didn't really change my view of anything/anyone. Although disappointed SWP got a goal as he wouldn't make my squad for the WC.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So Crouch* is still shit, then?

*20 in 37

Never EVER said he was shit. I was annoyed at the amount of people rating him above Heskey. I can't believe the amount of people who still don't understand what Heskey brings to the team. Heskey was a KEY reason our qualifying campaign was so excellent.

Crouch should be in the squad as back up, and will be.

As an aside, somehow STILL no one can give me an example of a good Crouch performance against a good defence, international or domestic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here