Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tommy Elphick to Bournemouth and new player coming in tomorrow? (mod: title edited)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Well I'd be delighted, he was far and away my favourite player at the time he left. Is Gus big enough to admit he got it wrong though?

His lack of pace would be a worry but his hold up play and his aerial ability at both ends of the pitch would be a massive plus imo and he'd bring the best out in and would complement CMS

Last edited:

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Anyone who went up to Tranmere when we were in Division 1 and saw him sent off for 2 stupid fouls would never want him back. The game summed him up good one minute - scored, petulant and lazy the next. As good as he could be when he was motivated I think we have all moved on ....... Obviously I'll now be proved wrong and GM will sign ......l.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
This with bells on. Lazy player most of the time, don't like lazy players.

Yes, I hate the lazy way he scored all those goals, the lazy way he led the line and the lazy way that he looked a class above any other striker we had.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Murray is not lazy he is laconic :rolleyes:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I just wonder how Gus / the Club will spin it if we do sign him having let him go for free to out biggest rivals, and also if Gus wanted to keep him why he didn't match Palace's offer in the first place seemingly making the decision that he just wasn't that important.
The difference being a signing on fee rather than a contract extension. Murray desperately needed the money for his ex wife up north who was fleecing him.
I like Gus but if this Murray rumour turns into him re-signing, Gus is going to look a prize idiot. I'm personally calling bullshit on this rumour. Gus is no fool.

Well I'd be delighted, he was far and away my favourite player at the time he left. Is Gus big enough to admit he got it wrong though?

His lack of pace would be a worry but his hold up play and his aerial ability at both ends of the pitch would be a massive plus imo and he'd bring the best out in and would complement CMS

I'm not sure how Gus would look a prize idiot or admit he got anything wrong? He offered Murray a contract extension and didn't want him to leave. Murray chose to go because he needed the money. He would get a percentage of any fee paid to Palace too, if he came back. Money is nearly always a factor in transfer dealings as the players don't have affinity to the club. I do get the impression that Gus & Murray have a mutual respect especially when I saw Gus hug him at the Amex.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I for one have no problem with Glenn, and would love to see him in the stripes of Brighton again.

However i don't think it will happen. More chance of Bobby Z, and that's not going to happen either.

But then again, i said the same about Wayne Bridge, so what the hell do i know????

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The difference being a signing on fee rather than a contract extension. Murray desperately needed the money for his ex wife up north who was fleecing him.

I'm not sure how Gus would look a prize idiot or admit he got anything wrong? He offered Murray a contract extension and didn't want him to leave. Murray chose to go because he needed the money. He would get a percentage of any fee paid to Palace too, if he came back. Money is nearly always a factor in transfer dealings as the players don't have affinity to the club. I do get the impression that Gus & Murray have a mutual respect especially when I saw Gus hug him at the Amex.

It may just be me but I definitely got the impression that Gus was not too fussed about hanging onto Murray, I don't recall him ever raving about his performances or saying how much he'd like to keep him. I can't be arsed to look back but I said this at the time. It always seemed to me we let him go without much of a fight because Gus though he'd secured a better player in CMS. In fact we should have fought tooth and nail to get both playing together. It's all bollocks anyway because I can't see us offering enough to prize him away from Palace.

The other problem is that apart from listening to the whingeing from the Barnes haters, we'd then have to also listen to the equally stupid comments about tainted Palace player whenever Murray hit a lean spell or looked anything less than 100% committed, which he often does because that's his style of play. Not sure I could take that :lol:

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Yes, I hate the lazy way he scored all those goals, the lazy way he led the line and the lazy way that he looked a class above any other striker we had.

That was league 1 though - he hardly set the world alight last year. Not saying I don't want him back though!!!

ole ole ole vicente

Aug 6, 2012
Murray, Zamora all pie in the sky and neither will happen. There is one cast iron certainty we need another striker at the very least and with Hoskins, yet again sidelined by injury possibly 2.
Carlton Cole would be great and I have heard from West Ham die hards that they think it's going to happen.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Spot on. Comfortably one of the best strikers we've had since Bobby.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
There are so many things we do not know about the Murray situation when he left. What we offered or did not offer, the signing on fee for Palace........etc...

Would we try and do our best for ourselves and family in a similar situation - Yes.
Did Glenn really know just how bad the rivalry was before he joined - to be fair I don't think even Gus wasn't aware until they beat us.......
Do we need a capable forward (although IMO unproven at this level) - Yes
Did Glenn try and grind it into our faces when he scored their 3rd goal - No
If you felt you made an error of judgement, would you want the opportunity to put it right?

But most of all, for all of the posts that have slagged him off - Will you 'boo' or not support a player who plays for Brighton? I support Brighton the team,not Glenn Murray, Vicente or Ashley Barnes, they last two just happen to be part of a potentially potent strike-force of the team I love......

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No but shirley he knew that there was a rivalry. I don't believe for one second he didn't know.

He went where the money was. He didn't do anything to upset Brighton fans deliberately, well, he could have put his 20 yarder wide at the Amex, I suppose! I would love him back. Harley would need a new number though.

And don't call me Shirley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here